Used to eat 1700/1800 calories and now i can't seem to eat past 1200!

Options
I started my diet about 3 months ago, in November. Have been loosing weight steadily (about 2 kg my first month and 1,3kg the second month, wich seems good enough for me).
My fitness pal told me based on my characteristics i should be at 1200 calories NET, so thats what i have been doing.

I used to eat about 1800 calories before this deficit and i was putting on some weight, reaching 69kg at my heaviest (i'm 159cm and i didn't exercise at all before this)
I realized i was eating junk food all the time and drinking a fair amount of alcohol almost every weekend, thus why i think i was reaching those caloric numbers on average.

Now on a diet i'm eating pretty much whatever i want, but i just switched to more whole foods and i'm not drinking my calories anymore. I still eat pasta, rice, delicious sauces etc etc

But this is where i'm getting a bit worried and confused.

I started weight training a few months ago and now im feeling myself getting weaker every workout, like i don't have enough energy or strength to push myself and i'd really love to progress because i fell in love with weight lifting. (i do it 3 times a week + 2 light cardio days)

My plan was to start slowly increasing my calories every month in order to eventually someday get back to 1700 calories while weight training, to recomp my body, loose fat and build at least a little bit of muscle. I even upped my protein intake, because i realized i was getting very little.
However with all of these changes and feeling weaker, i can't seem to eat much more than 1200/1250, i feel really full all throughout the day with these calories.

Now with the pandemic, im stuck at home all day and i don't get any physical activity done at all besides my timed workouts. Could this also be influencing my lack of appetite?
Do i just have a really slow metabolism?
Am i timing my meals around my workouts wrong?
Should i try to eat more calorie dense foods? (without going back to junk food all the time)

Sorry for the long text but i'm really lost on how to past this bump!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Without knowing more - and man, would I ever like to know more** - I vote "more calorie dense foods". Add a few calories, see what happens. Add full fat versions of things that are currently low fat, eat some nuts or seeds, use a little more oil in cooking or dressings, have some peanut butter, eat avocados, that sort of thing. Feeling weak is a bad sign, if you ask me.

** What's your current weight? You mention net calories; what are you eating gross? What's your exercise(s) and how do you estimate those calories? How are your protein & fat grams now?
  • tatianapaulino
    tatianapaulino Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My current weight is 66kg. At the start of my diet i was eating about 1400/1450 gross and 1250/1300 NET, and still loosing weight with those calories.
    Now it's about 1200 NET and gets to about 1000/1100 gross calories.

I use my polar beat chest strap to count my exercise calories but honestly i cut them down to about half and thats what i log in on mfp, since i think what polar gives me seems too high.
    I do strength training 3 times a week, mostly the basic compound movements with progressive overload, and then i do 1 to 2 days of either elliptical machine or walking, for 40 min to an hour.

My protein used to be 50/60 grams and now im eating 75/85 grams of it. My fats from what i see are about 45/50 grams on average.

I think maybe the fact that i upped my protein so much from what i was used to, must have led me to feel more satisfied in every meal, thus increasing the sensation of fullness throughout the day?
    I was a big carbs girl, most of my plate used to be pasta or rice and then a little bit of meat and that was it, so maybe my body is just not used to these different portions of macros aswell?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My current weight is 66kg. At the start of my diet i was eating about 1400/1450 gross and 1250/1300 NET, and still loosing weight with those calories.
    Now it's about 1200 NET and gets to about 1000/1100 gross calories.

I use my polar beat chest strap to count my exercise calories but honestly i cut them down to about half and thats what i log in on mfp, since i think what polar gives me seems too high.
    I do strength training 3 times a week, mostly the basic compound movements with progressive overload, and then i do 1 to 2 days of either elliptical machine or walking, for 40 min to an hour.

My protein used to be 50/60 grams and now im eating 75/85 grams of it. My fats from what i see are about 45/50 grams on average.

I think maybe the fact that i upped my protein so much from what i was used to, must have led me to feel more satisfied in every meal, thus increasing the sensation of fullness throughout the day?
    I was a big carbs girl, most of my plate used to be pasta or rice and then a little bit of meat and that was it, so maybe my body is just not used to these different portions of macros aswell?

Is there a typo here? It sure looks like you understand gross v net calories, but these numbers don't make sense.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Based on your current weight and your desire for progress on your lifting, I would highly recommend upping your protein as your method to increase calories before trying stuff like higher fat/carb items. Recommendations I've seen range from .7 g up to 1.0 g per lb of body weight.
  • tatianapaulino
    Options
    Sorry, I'll use imperial system as to not be confusing! :smile:

So, i think the net and gross calories don't make sense because i'm talking about daily averages, based week by week, since i only exercise 4/5 days a week.
    So i'm consuming 1200 calories. I estimate my burn during a one hour weightlifting session is about 250 calories x3 times a week plus 200/250 calories from cardio 2x a week.
    That means my calories from exercise can be 1150 per week, wich i divide into 7 days to make an "average" per day and it gives me 164 calories per day. So that to me is the 1000/1100 gross calories. Is my way of thinking right, here?
    Is it possible i'm underestimating the exercise calories aswell? I'm not sure if polar strap is more than 50% incorrect on the calories it gives me, as it gives me like 500/600 calories burnt, and i log them manually as being 250/300 calories (my polar strap is not synched with mpf, i log the exercise manually based on what i think is the truer value, because 500 calories on weightlifting seems like a looooot to me).

To me the rate wich i'm loosing weight is perfect to me. I don't mind only loosing 2lbs a month (or even less) if it means it's sustainable for me in the long run, creates good habits and is helping me put on some muscle. Thats why i don't want to stay in this deficit long term and i want to slowly keep adding a few more calories each month.

As for adding more protein, thats my goal aswell but it's been keeping me soo full already because it was a big change for me, i think. I want to increase it but i'll do it gradually to not get so sick of it, and adjust better to it.
    I've been adding a few more fats these last couple of days and its been working to get my calories up a bit, so i guess a combination of adding both fats and protein shouldn't be too bad?
  • tatianapaulino
    Options
    Oh and yes, from the week i tested logging in my maitenance calories on mfp before this diet, it was about 1700 calories on average, while i was not exercising at all at the time.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Sorry, I'll use imperial system as to not be confusing! :smile:

So, i think the net and gross calories don't make sense because i'm talking about daily averages, based week by week, since i only exercise 4/5 days a week.
    So i'm consuming 1200 calories. I estimate my burn during a one hour weightlifting session is about 250 calories x3 times a week plus 200/250 calories from cardio 2x a week.
    That means my calories from exercise can be 1150 per week, wich i divide into 7 days to make an "average" per day and it gives me 164 calories per day. So that to me is the 1000/1100 gross calories. Is my way of thinking right, here?
    Is it possible i'm underestimating the exercise calories aswell? I'm not sure if polar strap is more than 50% incorrect on the calories it gives me, as it gives me like 500/600 calories burnt, and i log them manually as being 250/300 calories (my polar strap is not synched with mpf, i log the exercise manually based on what i think is the truer value, because 500 calories on weightlifting seems like a looooot to me).

To me the rate wich i'm loosing weight is perfect to me. I don't mind only loosing 2lbs a month (or even less) if it means it's sustainable for me in the long run, creates good habits and is helping me put on some muscle. Thats why i don't want to stay in this deficit long term and i want to slowly keep adding a few more calories each month.

As for adding more protein, thats my goal aswell but it's been keeping me soo full already because it was a big change for me, i think. I want to increase it but i'll do it gradually to not get so sick of it, and adjust better to it.
    I've been adding a few more fats these last couple of days and its been working to get my calories up a bit, so i guess a combination of adding both fats and protein shouldn't be too bad?

If your proper goal based on non-exercise activity level is 1200, and your accurate average is 164 calories of exercise daily, you would shoot to eat 1364 calories daily to keep the same weight loss rate as at 1200 calories without the exercise. In eating terms, in that scenario, that would be 1364 gross calories to net 1200 calories.

I'm skeptical of the 200-250 calories for strength training, especially if your specific device is estimating that purely based on heart rate. Heart rate is a pretty inaccurate way to estimate strength training calories, because heart rate increases for reasons that have nothing to do with oxygen requirements, and it's oxygen requirements (not heart rate per se) that correlates with calorie burn. In moderate steady state cardio, there's a reasonable relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure, because the heart rate and oxygen demand are fairly well correlated in most cardio modes. I think MFP's exercise database gives one of the better guesses at strength training calories,. in a world where there are no excellent estimates for that exercise type. For me, at a weight in the 120s, I'm getting 163 calories/hour from MFP's estimate.

That's really not a huge discrepancy, though.

Yeah, add protein and fats. Try to get more protein in if/when you can, but if you're undereating calories, getting them from fats is better than not getting them at all. If calorie level is behind your energy drop, that should help with that part, at least, and give you some experiential feedback. If you find drinking calories less filling than eating them, this might be a place for protein shakes, or a smoothie based on Greek yogurt, or something like that.

Just my opinions, obviously.

Wishing you good outcomes - keep letting us know how it's going, OK? 🙂
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Like Ann said, gross calories = base calories PLUS the calories you earn from exercise.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    How do you know you are only eating 1200 calories? Is it food labels, guesstimating, measuring cups and spoons, a food scale? I’m sorry, I didn’t see it if it was stated.
  • OliveSalt
    OliveSalt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue. Im having trouble making 1200 calories. I eat when I'm hungry and when food is available, and its discouraging when MFP wont let me log a diary and says I need to consume more calories. It seems unproductive to assume that the only people that need support here are consuming too many calories.
  • tatianapaulino
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help, Ann! I'll let you guys know how the progress is going.
  • tatianapaulino
    Options
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    How do you know you are only eating 1200 calories? Is it food labels, guesstimating, measuring cups and spoons, a food scale? I’m sorry, I didn’t see it if it was stated.

I use a food scale in grams and weight everything i eat. Sometimes i even plan one or two days ahead and add it in advance to mfp to keep me on track and then i just serve myself whatever i have put in there.
  • tatianapaulino
    Options
    OliveSalt wrote: »
    I'm having a similar issue. Im having trouble making 1200 calories. I eat when I'm hungry and when food is available, and its discouraging when MFP wont let me log a diary and says I need to consume more calories. It seems unproductive to assume that the only people that need support here are consuming too many calories.

How many calories have you been able to eat most days? I think more details about you and what you're eating would be helpful to get some answers from the people :)
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

How many calories have you been able to eat most days? I think more details about you and what you're eating would be helpful to get some answers from the people :)

More details including your age, height, weight, how active you are on a day-to-day basis, how much exercise you do (and do you log it) and what goal did you enter when you set up your info on MFP? Also, do you weigh your food on scales and use measuring spoons for all liquids?

MFP won't let you complete your diary at less than 1000 cals and the reason for that is that you're under-eating and this site definitely doesn't encourage that. However, it's possible that you're actually eating more than you think.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Huh?

It seems like I've seen quite a few threads where people wanted to eat more but were too full or something, and folks were making suggestions to help them get in more calories/nutrition . . . and a bunch where someone was eating super-low and getting recommendations to eat at least the standard minimums, for reasons of health or to avoid the fake stalls that come from stress-related water retention, and that sort of thing.

I've posted on threads like that myself, including at least one today.

If having trouble getting adequate calories, the usual advice is to add calorie-dense but not very filling foods. What is filling differs by person, but some common recommendations are nuts, nut butters, avocados, more MUFA/PUFA fats in cooking or dressings, full-fat versions of foods the person may be consuming in low- or non-fat forms (yogurt and that sort of thing), etc. Drinking rather than eating calories (smoothies, juice, etc.) is another common recommendation in the "need more calories" scenario.

If the person eating too few calories has a (grams-based, not necessarily percent) shortage of some nutrient, they usually get advice to strive to bump that one up, maybe protein shakes if protein is too low, things like the nuts if fats are too low.