Halfway through Week 6 - first week no loss :(

Options
February is NOT being nice to me :neutral:

I was doing well, lost 6lbs in January.
I have about 30-40lbs to lose, 43 yr old female. 5'5
Average calories eaten per day is 1380 (try to hit between 1350-1450)
Exercise is roughly 30 mins per day - jogging/walking, C25K
I always get at least 10,000 steps a day if not more.
I am very meticulous about weighing anything I eat - I never estimate and I don't eat anything I don't make.

February has been annoying. I am doing all the right things so I am wondering if I need to change anything or is this the part that just sucks and power through it.

Feb 1st I weighed in
Feb 2nd down 0.4lbs
Feb 3rd - same as the day before
Feb. 4th - same as the day before
Feb 5th UP 0.4 (so now the same weight as Feb 1st)
Feb 6th down 0.4
Feb 7th up 0.4
Feb 8th same as the day before AND Feb 1st

So now if I was a weekly weigher I could confirm no loss this week :neutral:
I know weight loss is not linear and I will hit bumps but I just want to make sure I don't need to tweak my calories or anything.
I also just want to complain and pout a bit - thanks for listening <3

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a roller coaster, albeit a slow one :mrgreen: It's normal.

If anything, your calorie intake looks low for someone doing 10k steps a day (including some running). I'm 5ft5 too, and I lost weight eating more than that. For some people not eating enough can cause water weight weirdness, stressing the body with a larger calorie deficit than it likes.
    But the c25k could also be the cause of the stall (water retention for repairing muscles after exercise).
    Or it could be hormonal (ovulation, period)

You lost 6lbs in January, so you are in a deficit. Just wait it out 🙂 one week is not enough data to conclude anything is wrong.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Weight loss is a roller coaster, albeit a slow one :mrgreen: It's normal.

If anything, your calorie intake looks low for someone doing 10k steps a day (including some running). I'm 5ft5 too, and I lost weight eating more than that. For some people not eating enough can cause water weight weirdness, stressing the body with a larger calorie deficit than it likes.
    But the c25k could also be the cause of the stall (water retention for repairing muscles after exercise).
    Or it could be hormonal (ovulation, period)

You lost 6lbs in January, so you are in a deficit. Just wait it out 🙂 one week is not enough data to conclude anything is wrong.

Thanks! I really struggle with my calorie goals because I am really unsure of "activity level" In January I was averaging 1380 calories per day - I try to stick around 1350 if my exercise is kinda meh and then days where I am doing more if a jog will up it to 1450.
    It was working well as I was seeing a loss weekly (broken down weekly for 5 weeks) so I am assuming the calories are where they need to be.
    And now in week 6 it's just a total yo-yo with now actual loss recorded this month.
    I mean in the grand scheme of things I am ok not losing this week as long as I am doing everything right!
    Guess I will give it another week and maybe that data will give me some more insight :smiley:

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    If you have a fitness tracker or track steps with your phone you can set MFP to 'sedentary' activity and have it add your activity calories automatically. Then every day you know how many calories you should eat, based on your activity. Just a word of advice, no matter how frustrating it gets when hormonal and water weight sticks around, avoid undereating. Keep those net calories for the day above 1200. Anything less can really mess up your periods and your hair. Not worth it.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    If you have a fitness tracker or track steps with your phone you can set MFP to 'sedentary' activity and have it add your activity calories automatically. Then every day you know how many calories you should eat, based on your activity. Just a word of advice, no matter how frustrating it gets when hormonal and water weight sticks around, avoid undereating. Keep those net calories for the day above 1200. Anything less can really mess up your periods and your hair. Not worth it.

THIS Is what I am trying to avoid!! Last time I lost 30+lbs I was more worried about how quickly I could get rid of it and my hair is still suffering :(
    I do have an apple watch but again I am not sure how much to trust it!

In my exercise on the MFP app I see Apple Watch Calorie adjustment but then it says 0 - for yesterday when I had 10,653 steps it also records my Apple Health Workout and it gave me 279 calories burned for 50 mins of exercise. So guess the workout cancels out the steps maybe?
    I figured I was losing at a nice pace last month so the 1350 - 1450 was ideal and I won't ever go before 1300!

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

THIS Is what I am trying to avoid!! Last time I lost 30+lbs I was more worried about how quickly I could get rid of it and my hair is still suffering :(

In my exercise on the MFP app I see Apple Watch Calorie adjustment but then it says 0 - for yesterday when I had 10,653 steps it also records my Apple Health Workout and it gave me 279 calories burned for 50 mins of exercise. So guess the workout cancels out the steps maybe?
    I figured I was losing at a nice pace last month so the 1350 - 1450 was ideal and I won't ever go before 1300!

I don't have an Apple watch myself, but from what I've read here, Apple does not send over the right numbers to MFP. The solution is apparently to link Apple to the Pacer app and to link the Pacer app to MFP (so don't sync Apple and MFP directly).
  • jogo2200
    jogo2200 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would say forget about the scales, if yoy know your eating correctly. Then maybe take a photo. And after a couple of weeks take another one, or a few from diff angles. Far better indicator than scales.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

I don't have an Apple watch myself, but from what I've read here, Apple does not send over the right numbers to MFP. The solution is apparently to link Apple to the Pacer app and to link the Pacer app to MFP (do don't sync Apple and MFP directly).

Thank you! I will definitely check it out and tweak as needed :)