From avid carnivore to vegan (or somewhere in between)?

Options
Anyone has made this transition and so happy with it you don’t know how you ate like you did before? You just feel and are healthier?

I’m contemplating eating much more healthily - ie less meat. BUT I love meat - bacon, sausage, steak, pork - all meats - even processed deli meats. There are no medical indicators that indicate I need to change anything - I just intellectually know that this can’t be good, can it? Every meal is practically meat.

I don’t know if I can ever not have a burger, a pastrami sandwich, or ribeye steak - but I’m willing to try. My family (I’m 56, 118 lbs from 145 last year) has a history of heart disease and diabetes and high cholesterol but I’ve escaped this - so far.

I’m sure this isn’t the experience with everyone, but it’s become somewhat of a game - I’m
sitting with family watching tv, someone comes up who looks much younger than they are, we’ll google the person - and there you see - vegan or a no meat eater.

I guess I don’t need to do a complete 180, but anyone made changes over a period of time and found it to be worthwhile? Suggestions?

Replies

• mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I respect your choice if this is what you want, but why do you think that avoiding meat would be "healthy"? Is it a philosophical/ethical choice or is it backed by science?
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll - you’re right. I do have a tendency to be all or nothing. Was also just afraid that unless I went cold turkey (no pun intended), the change wouldn’t “stick”. But what you say makes sense, a little change to start could be smarter.

@dragon_girl26 @mariomicro You bring up a good point. I haven’t delved into the science of all of it, and maybe I need to be more targeted. It’s really the processed meat that seems to be more universally panned, healthwise - no? Bacon, sausage, salami, etc - and I haven’t yet gone to the turkey bacon, chicken sausage options - all pork, for now. And sometimes not just plain old bacon - but hog jowl (southern roots!) 😬
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why not just reduce the amount of red meat and replace with lean protein, if its possible history of heart disease. seems so much easier than 'all or nothing' (which, by the way, usually results in failure for most people)

in addition to that, getting adequate protein on a vegan or vegetarian diet can be difficult unless you are very knowledgeable about various protein sources, or have a mentor who is very knowledgeable (and patient)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    why not just reduce the amount of red meat and replace with lean protein, if its possible history of heart disease. seems so much easier than 'all or nothing' (which, by the way, usually results in failure for most people)

in addition to that, getting adequate protein on a vegan or vegetarian diet can be difficult unless you are very knowledgeable about various protein sources, or have a mentor who is very knowledgeable (and patient)

I wouldn't say one has to be VERY knowledgeable about various protein sources. There are so many good online resources now for people who are interested in meeting some or all of their nutritional needs with plants. Good plant-based sources of protein include legumes, tofu, tempeh, and seitan, and there's also protein to be found in vegetables and grains. For people who are interested in supplementing, there are many plant-based protein powders too -- there's pea, rice, hemp, and soy.

For anyone who is interested, veganhealth.org is a good evidence-based resource for nutritional information.

I also like this blog post: https://www.thefullhelping.com/15-simple-affordable-and-protein-rich-combinations-of-plant-foods/

It provides a great list of examples for those who might be newer to plant-based meal planning.

If someone wants a mentor, that's great too! This is an awesome online mentorship program for those interested in veganism: https://veganoutreach.org/vegan-mentorship-program/

People who sign up are matched with a volunteer. When possible, they do their best to match people with those of similar backgrounds, so it works really well for people who might not feel confident about their research skills but know they will have questions as they transition.

I don't want to gloss over the protein issue, but many vegans find that it is less of an issue than we were worried it was going to be pre-vegan. If someone is otherwise interested in more plant-based meals or going vegan and protein was their main concern, I'd always encourage them that it can be done. For people approaching it from a fitness angle, there's r/veganfitness, a very helpful and informative community on reddit where you can get plenty of pictures of higher protein meals as well as tips from people who are regularly hitting their macro goals with plants.

• mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The major problem I have with a vegan diet is that it doesn't really give you enough calories for the day, unless you make it up with grains and starches, which are much less healthy than meat. Most metabolic diseases are a consequence of excess sugars, grains and starch consumption, rather than meat.
  • gillexplores
    gillexplores Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be annoying and nitpicky and say that humans are not carnivores, but omnivores. But anyway - agreed with the above, that any one type of diet (in the "everything that you eat" sense, not like "diet culture") can be unhealthy... Oreos are vegan after all. Not that Oreos on their own are unhealthy, but if that's all you eat as a vegan, that's pretty unhealthy!

...And I'm saying this as someone that has been a vegetarian for ~14 years. With that being said, I do think a whole-food, plant-based diet can be very healthful for many people (https://doctorsthatdo.osteopathic.org/5-myths-of-whole-food-plant-based-diets-debunked). I would suggest changing your diet over slowly. When I first decided to become vegetarian, at 12 yo, I said, "I'm gonna be a vegetarian, but I'm still going to eat chicken, turkey, fish and bacon!" That's obviously incorrect (I was a child) but what I ultimately ended up doing was slowly taking out first red meat, then poultry, then eventually fish. You don't have to do anything that intense if you really don't want to, but maybe just make a goal for yourself to only have 2-3 meals a week with meat, or something like that, and start learning some new vegetarian/vegan recipes that you really like.

If you can afford it, you could start by ordering a couple vegetarian meals a week from a food subscription service, like GoodFood, HelloFresh, that type of thing. That way, you barely even need to think about it, and get some good ideas of what you like. I also really like the app Mealime - you can choose your eating preferences and they will suggest different recipes that you can choose from and make a meal plan for the week, and then it will make you a grocery list based on those recipes.

My dad just really got into the whole-food plant-based lifestyle and he loves Michael Greger (https://nutritionfacts.org/). The thing is, it isn't hard to eat healthy as a vegetarian or vegan, but personally I do find that you maybe just have to think a bit more about where your nutrients, etc. are coming from. Like when you go for dinner, if people aren't used to vegetarian food, they'll just offer you the salad and potatoes, without the meat, and you're often left wondering where the protein is. But it doesn't take long at all to get a hang of it!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I’m learning a lot from the replies. Thank you all. I guess I could start slowly and like some of you mentioned, the diet - in itself - is not the only thing that matters.

I lost almost 30 pounds last year - no diet changes. I get regular exercise and have no outstanding negative health indicators. My only “complaint” is I feel a bit bloated at times. Nothing big. Maybe this helps - if I told you my usual eating style was:

Breakfast - eggs with veggies, Ezekiel bread and always a serving size of bacon or sausage

Lunch - deli meat sandwich (either boars head ham, turkey, salami, sopresata, roast beef with a slice of cheese)

Dinner - along with salad, there will always be (in this order) a chicken, steak, or pork or fish (once a week- if that) dish.

Would you conclude this is ok as long as I’m doing what I’m doing above re: maintaining my weight and exercise? Heading for trouble? Would feel better, lighter - even if I don’t know it now - if I ate less meat?

Also just felt my reaching my weight loss goals were just part of my journey and that I could focus on more healthy eating. Hope this is clearer!

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mariomicro wrote: »
    The major problem I have with a vegan diet is that it doesn't really give you enough calories for the day, unless you make it up with grains and starches, which are much less healthy than meat. Most metabolic diseases are a consequence of excess sugars, grains and starch consumption, rather than meat.

Cite your source.
  • OliveSalt
    OliveSalt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Start with meatless Monday and see how it goes. Then you'll naturally want to learn more so your Mondays go well. Set yourself up to be successful!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    I’m learning a lot from the replies. Thank you all. I guess I could start slowly and like some of you mentioned, the diet - in itself - is not the only thing that matters.

I lost almost 30 pounds last year - no diet changes. I get regular exercise and have no outstanding negative health indicators. My only “complaint” is I feel a bit bloated at times. Nothing big. Maybe this helps - if I told you my usual eating style was:

Breakfast - eggs with veggies, Ezekiel bread and always a serving size of bacon or sausage

Lunch - deli meat sandwich (either boars head ham, turkey, salami, sopresata, roast beef with a slice of cheese)

Dinner - along with salad, there will always be (in this order) a chicken, steak, or pork or fish (once a week- if that) dish.

Would you conclude this is ok as long as I’m doing what I’m doing above re: maintaining my weight and exercise? Heading for trouble? Would feel better, lighter - even if I don’t know it now - if I ate less meat?

Also just felt my reaching my weight loss goals were just part of my journey and that I could focus on more healthy eating. Hope this is clearer!

I can't speak to the meat (type or quantity) since I'm vegetarian. Whether I were vegetarian or not, I personally would want more veggies/fruit than that. I use 80g as a convenient serving-size metric, but different experts look at it differently (1C of most, 2C of leafy greens, 1/2 cup of some denser things . . . ). You don't mention quantities of your salad or the breakfast veggies, but I'd be going for the minimum of 400g (5 80-g servings) or the cup measures of 5 servings instead, if I wanted to be following mainstream nutritional advice. (In my real life, I use 400g as a minimum, shoot for 800+ daily, usually get there. This is not an automatic effect from being vegetarian, either. Many of my protein sources don't count as veg/fruit: I don't even count some that are plant sourced, like chickpea pasta or tempeh.)

The day you describe looks like heavy on sat fat, light on mono/polyunsaturated fats, which also might be a thing to look at, in your diary over time. Again, pretty mainstream stuff. (I don't know of specific goals for mono/poly fats, which is why MFP lists zero as a goal. But mainstream sources recommend getting them.)

I don't think anyone can say whether you'd feel "better, lighter". That's pretty individual. Your eating doesn't look terrible nutritionally - pretty good, actually, IMO, compared to a lot of people. I suspect people mostly notice dramatic improvements from things like plant-based eating for one of two reasons: (1) their previous diet was pretty poor, or (2) self-fulfilling psychological effect of expecting to feel better plus feeling good about making improvements. But I'm a cynic. 😉😆
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 3 years. But I ate progressively less and less meat over about 12 years. I started with "Meatless Mondays" , then increasingly ate more and more veggie meals and less and less meat meals.

For about the last 4 years before going completely veg, I ate an average of about one meat meal a month.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »

While I agree that eating some meat isn't inherently bad, processed meat (bacon, ham, deli meat) is the worst kind and you are eating it twice every day which isn't ideal. Maybe start by cutting that out first - you could add some beans to breakfast, and a veggie based sandwich for lunch.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    While I agree with many of the comments above that it is fine to eat some meat - I really believe it is so much better for the environment to eat less. Good luck in your journey,
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I eat meat for almost every meal and love it. I, personally, right or wrong, believe that proper weight and getting exercise are what matters and everything else is a footnote or luck of the draw. I figure if I'm eventually proven wrong, I won't be here to find out. But I really believe deep down that I'm right.