Macros and peanut butter

Options
I'm trying to loose weight and gain some muscle, I'm 5-6.5" and 157.8 lbs I know I need to work on fitting exercise more, but I've put my self on macros of 50 carbs 15 fat and 35 protein , but I'm struggling... Getting no where close to those macros, I really want to start using peanut butter to make energy balls etc... But any ideas how to make it work I am currently setting my daily cal target at 1450 but not using it all.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    35 protein is probably high and overkill...15 fat is pretty low. What exactly are you having issues with? With 15% fat, I'm guessing peanut butter anything in any significant quantity is going to cause you to go over on fat, as that is primarily what PB is...not that it really matters.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Hey - I am 5' 5.5 (so one inch shorter than you) and last weighed in at 157.7 lbs (so similar!). I also am hoping to shed some body fat and build muscle. I recently started working with a dietitian, and she put me at 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein also with around 1450 cal/day . It's SO hard for me to hit those goals, but I am trying. Feel free to friend me if you like, my diary is public so you can sneak a peek at some of my meals.

But I agree with cwolfman13, peanut butter is actually really high in fat, doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it, just be aware that it won't be all that helpful in hitting your protein goals. I eat a lot of plain 0% Greek Yogurt, it's very high in protein and can be used in so many things (like sour cream, or mayo). I also am trying to eat more tuna, a low fat high protein food option.

As far as protein balls go, I am learning that they are going to be higher in fat (again not bad necessarily, just something to be aware of) if they are also high in protein. I put protein powder in my balls because the calorie count just gets too high using things like nuts and peanut butter.

As far as building muscle: don't be afraid to lift heavy! (well not so heavy you hurt yourself). It's very difficult for women to bulk up, so pump that iron! I LOVE weigh lifting, it makes me feel strong (even though I am not) and comptenent. I'm learning that to grow muscles you need to feed your muscles with protein (something to do with amino acids). ANYWAYS....good luck, you can do this!

TL;DR: peanut butter is higher in fat than in protein, a good thing to have but not necessarily the best protein source. Try greek yogurt and tuna. Lift heavy. And feel free to add me :)
  • lauralou93a
    lauralou93a Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying guys, yeah it is the fat that is the issue. I'm not getting near to my macros , I just can't work it out I read somewhere that it helps to loose fat and gain muscle. I really can't do weights - kids/time/ covid but I walk everywhere and occasionally do resistance bands . I'm not doing too bad I've lost 8.2 Lb in 4 weeks but really want to boost protein , o do use protein powder too but not the full 30 g serving as my stomach can't handle it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you go back to the default Myfitnesspal settings. 15% fat is very low (especially for a woman) and 35% protein is really high.

The default settings are 50%C 30%F and 20%P. If you're going to play with macros, lower your carbs a little and raise fats.

When I was in weight loss mode my macros were at 40C 40F 20P. You need fat, not so much carbs. Lots of people go with 40C 30F 30P. I find it difficult to get to 30% protein on less than 2000 calories, so I stopped trying.

If you're not going to do weight training, you're not going to be creating much muscle at all, even at 35%P.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Also...I eat probably 300+ calories in peanut butter every day. It's mostly fat, some protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you're not training, there's no reason to eat copious amounts of protein...recommendations for training are 1 gram per Lb of LBM...my guess is that 35% puts you well beyond that and you're just making expensive glucose. Protein in and of itself doesn't build muscle...training stimulus along with appropriate protein builds muscle. Walking isn't really going to build muscle...you can do resistance bands and body weight exercise, but it has to be more than occasionally...Ideally you would want to hit every muscle group 2-3x per week.

It is good to get more protein than the RDA minimum if you're losing weight as it will help preserve muscle...but again, this has gone from something that it's "good to have more" to "all the proteins" and I frankly find it quite out of hand. If you're training, more protein is beneficial in that it aids in repair of muscle that has been broken down...To that end, bodybuilders eating 1 gram per Lb of LBM or more or training considerably harder than the average person.
  • lauralou93a
    Options
    Also...I eat probably 300+ calories in peanut butter every day. It's mostly fat, some protein.

Wow that seems a lot in Cal's, kinda a jealous right now, what kind of macros do you follow ? If you use macros.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Thanks for replying guys, yeah it is the fat that is the issue. I'm not getting near to my macros , I just can't work it out I read somewhere that it helps to loose fat and gain muscle. I really can't do weights - kids/time/ covid but I walk everywhere and occasionally do resistance bands . I'm not doing too bad I've lost 8.2 Lb in 4 weeks but really want to boost protein , o do use protein powder too but not the full 30 g serving as my stomach can't handle it.

If you can't do weights what other exercise are you going to do to challenge your muscles beyond their current capacity to give them reason to grow?
    "Occasionally do resistance bands" isn't going to be enough. Walking isn't going to be enough.

Wherever it was you read that peanut butter helps you lose fat and gain muscle I strongly suggest you stop reading!
    It's a high fat, high calorie, some protein food with no magical powers (apart from taste!).
  • lauralou93a
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're not training, there's no reason to eat copious amounts of protein...recommendations for training are 1 gram per Lb of LBM...my guess is that 35% puts you well beyond that and you're just making expensive glucose. Protein in and of itself doesn't build muscle...training stimulus along with appropriate protein builds muscle. Walking isn't really going to build muscle...you can do resistance bands and body weight exercise, but it has to be more than occasionally...Ideally you would want to hit every muscle group 2-3x per week.

It is good to get more protein than the RDA minimum if you're losing weight as it will help preserve muscle...but again, this has gone from something that it's "good to have more" to "all the proteins" and I frankly find it quite out of hand. If you're training, more protein is beneficial in that it aids in repair of muscle that has been broken down...To that end, bodybuilders eating 1 gram per Lb of LBM or more or training considerably harder than the average person.

I currently only reach about 25% protein so don't think I'm over doing it, and resistance bands twice a week aiming for more.
  • lauralou93a
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

If you can't do weights what other exercise are you going to do to challenge your muscles beyond their current capacity to give them reason to grow?
    "Occasionally do resistance bands" isn't going to be enough. Walking isn't going to be enough.

Wherever it was you read that peanut butter helps you lose fat and gain muscle I strongly suggest you stop reading!
    It's a high fat, high calorie, some protein food with no magical powers (apart from taste!).

Omg , I think I might of given the wrong impression, I didn't mean that peanut butter would help me she'd fat and gain muscle, I just really crave it at the moment!, What I meant to say was that I read that 50, 15,35 macros help gain muscle and loose fat, I'm trying to find exercises I can do at home for this , I am double jointed all over so have to be careful though.
    Suggestions welcome , thanks for your input.
  • sijomial
    Options

Omg , I think I might of given the wrong impression, I didn't mean that peanut butter would help me she'd fat and gain muscle, I just really crave it at the moment!, What I meant to say was that I read that 50, 15,35 macros help gain muscle and loose fat, I'm trying to find exercises I can do at home for this , I am double jointed all over so have to be careful though.

Phew! With so much nonsense on the interwebz...... :smiley:

Perfectly understandable to crave PB. Not easy to fit a lot in a diet when trying to lose weight. Suggest you weigh it carefully as it's a calorie bomb (but worth it!).

Remember that diet supports muscle growth - it doesn't initiate it.
    You can eat like an elite strength athlete but will get nowhere without appropriate training.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    losing weight is ALL about calories.

different macro combinations and be beneficial/effective for some, DEPENDING on their goals and workout routine. also for satiety or if they have health concerns (high BP, diabetes, etc)

Those resistance bands are not going to require you to have a higher % of protein in your diet. not even if you do them every day.

and how far under your calories are you, every day?
  • lauralou93a
    Options
    losing weight is ALL about calories.

different macro combinations and be beneficial/effective for some, DEPENDING on their goals and workout routine. also for satiety or if they have health concerns (high BP, diabetes, etc)

Those resistance bands are not going to require you to have a higher % of protein in your diet. not even if you do them every day.

and how far under your calories are you, every day?

I try to be roughly 200 under so about 1250-1300 a day
  • lauralou93a
    Options

Perfectly understandable to crave PB. Not easy to fit a lot in a diet when trying to lose weight. Suggest you weigh it carefully as it's a calorie bomb (but worth it!).

You can eat like an elite strength athlete but will get nowhere without appropriate training.

If you have any suggestions about at home exercises I wouldn't have to buy anything for I'd be greatful , p.s I'd also like a unicorn 🤔
  • sijomial
    Options

If you have any suggestions about at home exercises I wouldn't have to buy anything for I'd be greatful , p.s I'd also like a unicorn 🤔

There's a list of programs at the top of both the Fitness and Bodybuilding forums - including bodyweight programs.

Or lift your children - as they grow so will your strength (a very long term form of progressive overload....).
  • lauralou93a
    Options

There's a list of programs at the top of both the Fitness and Bodybuilding forums - including bodyweight programs.

Or lift your children - as they grow so will your strength (a very long term form of progressive overload....).

Thanks , might have to work up to lifting the kids ones almost 9 and leggy only a foot shorter than me, and the nearly 6 year old isn't a lightweight 😄
  • cmriverside
    edited February 2021
    Options

Wow that seems a lot in Cal's, kinda a jealous right now, what kind of macros do you follow ? If you use macros.

I have my macros set at the default of 50C 30F 20P. I'm almost always over on fat and under on carbs. Just the way I like to eat.

I also eat about 2500 calories per day so 300 for PB isn't a huge challenge to fit in...and I really love it so I make it work.

Why are you eating 1250-1300 calories? Are you 4'10" and sedentary and older? No.

Be realistic. Set your calories to "Lose 1 pound per week." Set your Activity Level at "Lightly Active" or "Active." With kids, you're not Sedentary so don't use that.

I would think you would get a LOT more than 1300 calories. On days you exercise, eat more. Don't eat UNDER your calories. Your settings have you AT a deficit already.

300 calories for PB shouldn't be a stretch. I bet you can do 45 minutes of walking a day and fit in PB every day.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I ate PB every day all through my weight loss. 80 pounds down, still eating PB daily 12 years later and maintaining my weight.
  • lauralou93a
    Options

I have my macros set at the default of 50C 30F 20P. I'm almost always over on fat and under on carbs. Just the way I like to eat.

I also eat about 2500 calories per day so 300 for PB isn't a huge challenge to fit in...and I really love it so I make it work.

Why are you eating 1250-1300 calories? Are you 4'10" and sedentary and older? No.

Be realistic. Set your calories to "Lose 1 pound per week." Set your Activity Level at "Lightly Acive" or "Active." With kids, you're not Sedentary so don't use that.

I would think you would get a LOT more than 1300 calories. On days you exercise, eat more.

300 calories for PB shouldn't be a stretch. I bet you can do 45 minutes of walking a day and fit in PB every day.

I add my exercise separately on top on daily and only eat some back, days when I'm not working im in home schooling I am relatively seditary, we go for walks etc... Which I add in , I eat 1250 ISH trying to create a good deficit. Most days this suites me fine.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Be realistic. Set your calories to "Lose 1 pound per week." Set your Activity Level at "Lightly Acive" or "Active." With kids, you're not Sedentary so don't use that.

I would think you would get a LOT more than 1300 calories. On days you exercise, eat more.

I add my exercise separately on top on daily and only eat some back, days when I'm not working im in home schooling I am relatively seditary, we go for walks etc... Which I add in , I eat 1250 ISH trying to create a good deficit. Most days this suites me fine.

The 1450 IS a deficit and you should eat to that.