Macros and peanut butter

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Also...I eat probably 300+ calories in peanut butter every day. It's mostly fat, some protein.

Wow that seems a lot in Cal's, kinda a jealous right now, what kind of macros do you follow ? If you use macros.

I have my macros set at the default of 50C 30F 20P. I'm almost always over on fat and under on carbs. Just the way I like to eat.

I also eat about 2500 calories per day so 300 for PB isn't a huge challenge to fit in...and I really love it so I make it work.

Why are you eating 1250-1300 calories? Are you 4'10" and sedentary and older? No.

Be realistic. Set your calories to "Lose 1 pound per week." Set your Activity Level at "Lightly Acive" or "Active." With kids, you're not Sedentary so don't use that.

I would think you would get a LOT more than 1300 calories. On days you exercise, eat more.

300 calories for PB shouldn't be a stretch. I bet you can do 45 minutes of walking a day and fit in PB every day.

I add my exercise separately on top on daily and only eat some back, days when I'm not working im in home schooling I am relatively seditary, we go for walks etc... Which I add in , I eat 1250 ISH trying to create a good deficit. Most days this suites me fine.

You certainly like to make it hard for yourself.

How long have you been eating at that level? How much weight are you needing to lose?
  • lauralou93a
    lauralou93a Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1450 is what my smart scale says I use daily doing nothing so I add my activity seperatly .
  • lauralou93a
    Options
    I adjust this on myfitness pal weekly when I've weighed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're not training, there's no reason to eat copious amounts of protein...recommendations for training are 1 gram per Lb of LBM...my guess is that 35% puts you well beyond that and you're just making expensive glucose. Protein in and of itself doesn't build muscle...training stimulus along with appropriate protein builds muscle. Walking isn't really going to build muscle...you can do resistance bands and body weight exercise, but it has to be more than occasionally...Ideally you would want to hit every muscle group 2-3x per week.

It is good to get more protein than the RDA minimum if you're losing weight as it will help preserve muscle...but again, this has gone from something that it's "good to have more" to "all the proteins" and I frankly find it quite out of hand. If you're training, more protein is beneficial in that it aids in repair of muscle that has been broken down...To that end, bodybuilders eating 1 gram per Lb of LBM or more or training considerably harder than the average person.

I currently only reach about 25% protein so don't think I'm over doing it, and resistance bands twice a week aiming for more.

How many grams is that? I'm sure it's just fine if not more than fine for what you're doing. I wouldn't do a whole lot of hand wringing about this.
  • lauralou93a
    Options
    If you're not training, there's no reason to eat copious amounts of protein...recommendations for training are 1 gram per Lb of LBM...my guess is that 35% puts you well beyond that and you're just making expensive glucose. Protein in and of itself doesn't build muscle...training stimulus along with appropriate protein builds muscle. Walking isn't really going to build muscle...you can do resistance bands and body weight exercise, but it has to be more than occasionally...Ideally you would want to hit every muscle group 2-3x per week.

It is good to get more protein than the RDA minimum if you're losing weight as it will help preserve muscle...but again, this has gone from something that it's "good to have more" to "all the proteins" and I frankly find it quite out of hand. If you're training, more protein is beneficial in that it aids in repair of muscle that has been broken down...To that end, bodybuilders eating 1 gram per Lb of LBM or more or training considerably harder than the average person.

I currently only reach about 25% protein so don't think I'm over doing it, and resistance bands twice a week aiming for more.

How many grams is that? I'm sure it's just fine if not more than fine for what you're doing. I wouldn't do a whole lot of hand wringing about this.

I don't know as it depends Cal's I eat daily but today for example by bed time I would of reached 30% protein and it says that's 92 g
  • lauralou93a
    Options
    Also...I eat probably 300+ calories in peanut butter every day. It's mostly fat, some protein.

Wow that seems a lot in Cal's, kinda a jealous right now, what kind of macros do you follow ? If you use macros.

I have my macros set at the default of 50C 30F 20P. I'm almost always over on fat and under on carbs. Just the way I like to eat.

I also eat about 2500 calories per day so 300 for PB isn't a huge challenge to fit in...and I really love it so I make it work.

Why are you eating 1250-1300 calories? Are you 4'10" and sedentary and older? No.

Be realistic. Set your calories to "Lose 1 pound per week." Set your Activity Level at "Lightly Acive" or "Active." With kids, you're not Sedentary so don't use that.

I would think you would get a LOT more than 1300 calories. On days you exercise, eat more.

300 calories for PB shouldn't be a stretch. I bet you can do 45 minutes of walking a day and fit in PB every day.

I add my exercise separately on top on daily and only eat some back, days when I'm not working im in home schooling I am relatively seditary, we go for walks etc... Which I add in , I eat 1250 ISH trying to create a good deficit. Most days this suites me fine.

How long have you been eating at that level? How much weight are you needing to lose?

For 4 weeks , want to loose another 24.8 lbs ideally , but will see as I want to gain muscle eventually, when I can get a work out routine cracked, and won't know till I get there how I'll feel at what size 🤔
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options

The 1450 IS a deficit and you should eat to that.

This. And coincidentally, if you eat 1450 instead of 1250-1300, that's just about the number of calories you need to fit in one serving of peanut butter every day. Sounds like a win.

Really: At 5'5" and about your weight (I was 154 pounds, IIRC, when I joined MFP, down from 183), 1200 *plus all exercise* was way too low for me (at age 59, while severely hypothyroid, even, besides). I lost most of the rest of the way on 1400-1600 plus exercise (1900 or more eaten most days), and am still at a healthy weight 5 years later (125-point-something today). Now, I'm not saying my calorie level is right for you - that would be dumb of me - but I *am* saying to follow MFP's recommendation until your multi-week results lead to adjustment.

Lowballing calories to lose fast is a good way to train your body to limp along on ultra-low calories longer term, by slowing down things like hair/nails growth, down-regulating immune system, making you weak/fatigued, and potentially worse.

My advice would be to eat the number of calories you're supposed to for a sensible loss rate, and then adjust upward to eat more if you exceed that target sensible loss rate over a 4-6 period, on average. That's a better path toward *thriving*, i.e., long term health and vitality.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Back to your original question. I experimented with nut butter protein balls, bars, etc quite a while before I figured out I could make my macros a whole lot better just eating nut butter when I wanted and could afford the calories and eat high protein foods to get my protein. I haven’t had a homemade protein ball in years, and I don’t miss them.

ETA if you find or create a good recipe, please share. I’m still open to the idea, just tired of bad ones.
  • lauralou93a
    Options
    Back to your original question. I experimented with nut butter protein balls, bars, etc quite a while before I figured out I could make my macros a whole lot better just eating nut butter when I wanted and could afford the calories and eat high protein foods to get my protein. I haven’t had a homemade protein ball in years, and I don’t miss them.

ETA if you find or create a good recipe, please share. I’m still open to the idea, just tired of bad ones.

Thanks I will, might take a while🤔
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Rather than using your smart scale and exercise and trying to eat under it, why not use MFP to get a calorie goal? If you don't have a whole lot to lose, you'd pick 1 lb/week instead of 2, and if you aren't sedentary apart from exercise (which you likely are not with 2 kids), you'd pick lightly active instead of sedentary. Then you could add any extra exercise you do (although resistance bands likely don't burn a bunch of cals).

If MFP gives you a low calorie goal (like 1200-1400), I personally would increase protein to 25%, as 20% is low at low cals, but 35% is overkill and will make it hard to manage. 15% is really low for fat (fat is not bad for you), I'd focus more on eating the default goal, but choosing healthier sources of fat (like peanut butter! or other nuts and seeds or avocado, etc.). That leaves you at about 45% carbs.

Even better, a good way to get a protein goal that will help (along with exercise and not having too extreme a calorie deficit) with muscle is to aim for around 0.8 g per lb of your healthy (based on BMI range) goal weight. So if aiming for 120, you'd aim for somewhere around 96 g of protein (no harm being over, no harm being under occasionally or even regularly if it's not far off, like 90 g). The amount of fats vs carbs you eat in addition to that don't matter for fat loss or muscle gain, it's simply personal preference and what helps you be content with your diet. I personally think the specific sources of carbs and fat are much more important than hitting specific macros, both for my satisfaction and for health, but some people do find that more fat or more carbs makes them more satisfied.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

For 4 weeks , want to loose another 24.8 lbs ideally , but will see as I want to gain muscle eventually, when I can get a work out routine cracked, and won't know till I get there how I'll feel at what size 🤔

With only 25 pounds to lose, do set your weekly weight loss goal to a pound per week and eat those calories, not those calories minus whatever.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • vnorris25
    vnorris25 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As others have said, 15% fat seems very low. Remember, not all fat is "bad" fat. Your body needs some fat. I am 5'6 and started at 148 lbs with macros 40C-30F-30P. It's all about balance. It also helps to eat carbs that are low on the glycemic food index, as these keep you feeling full longer and are slow burning, meaning they give you more energy than high GI carbs.

For free exercise resources - check out youtube! There are tons of free channels that you could subscribe to that focus on body-weight exercises. I use beachbody on demand (21day fix) and have been seeing great results, but you do have to pay for it.