Twinge-y Knees

Options
MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
I've heard it said that one should never try to work through knee pain. Thing is, I have zero pain while working out, but for the past several days have had sharp twinges atop the patella in one or both knees when pushing back in a chair (feet on floor) or climbing stairs.

Any advice? Would a compression wrap/brace help? Should I not work-out for a day or two? Just ignore it and power through since it doesn't hurt at all during workouts?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i can offer no advice, other than to say I have nerve damage at the base of my spine from an epidural gone wrong 14 years ago. almost 15 LOL

it typically doesn't bother me but gets twingey sometimes. i worked out through it yesterday (not even a hard workout- 20 minutes, tops) and swam less than an hour (a few laps but mostly a water aerobics style class that is pretty darn easy). When I got to the locker room, I could literally, BARELY move. took me 20 minutes to get dressed. 5 minutes to get the car door shut behind me. and have been basically immobilized since I got home around lunch yesterday.

don't ignore the twinge. find out what it is and care for it appropriately. (in my case not a whole lot that can be done other than wait it out)

mine is slightly better (comparatively speaking) than yesterday (I'm not in tears every time I move). but I am still unable to even do small movements without pain. cant pick up laundry to run a load, managed to sweep (just our family room) but no way am I going to be able to sweep it UP and throw it away). Had to have my son load the dishwasher. etc.
  • MsCzar
    Options
    Yikes! Hope you'll mend and feel better soon.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Knees are such complex joints that you really need to get a proper diagnosis if it continues.
    I'd suggest a Sports Physio ahead of a GP/MD.
    No please don't wear a general purpose wrap or knee brace without knowing why you are wearing it.
    No don't ignore it, rest or modify your workout. If it doesn't recover get it investigated.

Just for illustration here's a summary of my knee injury history:

Lost a cruciate ligament. (a.k.a. Grade 3 tear, unrepairable, mis-diagnosed by ER).
    Lost 90% of a cartilage (but pain felt on opposite side of knee - referred pain).
    Fractured patella (not diagnosed at the time).
    Torn cartilage.
    Several grade 1 and grade 2 ligament tears.
    Fat pad impingement (presented similar to an acute cartilage injury).

Oh and according to the pain and location a clear case of IT band syndrome - but it wasn't!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Sounds like you may be getting tendonitis in your quadriceps tendon that attaches near the top of the kneecap area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Take a break.
    4 years ago I was getting some twinges above the shoulder blades after doing pushups. They were definitely twinges, not just the ache of a good workout. I made the mistake of mentioning it to my mom who said I was just being a baby. Anyhow, kept doing my daily pushups and two days later at work I sneezed and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have three herniated discs now, C5-C7. It was the most miserable 12 weeks I've ever spent and even years later I deal with numbness in my fingers, occasional loss of bladder sensation and other lovely fun things.
    Granted, I think there is some kind of degenerative disc issues in my family, because I have three uncles with herniations in the same discs, but, they had it happen in their 50's, not their 30's. I should have gone a bit slower and taken a break. There's no rewind button, once something major is effed, it's effed for life.
  • MsCzar
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Never thought I'd say it, but it was tough to not work out today. But since even tensing/bending my knee whilst lying in bed can result in a sharp pain, I'll rest for a few days. I've worked so hard to lose 70 lbs. and am I'm fearful of turning into a soft lump in minutes. NOT happy about the pause or cutting calories to make up for being a slug. :(
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,204 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Never thought I'd say it, but it was tough to not work out today. But since even tensing/bending my knee whilst lying in bed can result in a sharp pain, I'll rest for a few days. I've worked so hard to lose 70 lbs. and am I'm fearful of turning into a soft lump in minutes. NOT happy about the pause or cutting calories to make up for being a slug. :(

Maybe look up seated exercise videos on YouTube. They're not all for frail/elderly. There are some higher intensity ones for (for example) wheelchair athletes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    MsCzar wrote: »

Maybe look up seated exercise videos on YouTube. They're not all for frail/elderly. There are some higher intensity ones for (for example) wheelchair athletes.
    Seated overhead press, seated curls and seated tricep overhead extensions can be tough with enough resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png