Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    edited February 2021
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    I’ve been feeling down about the plateau I’m at; this conversation was just what I needed to shake it off. Thank you!

It is a bit soul destroying but you have to trust the system. Calorie deficit got us down to the plateau and it will get us off the thing and down to the next.
    It is a matter of keeping to the regime and carrying on.
    I set my "graph" goals at 2 lbs a week. I am way behind schedule but the schedule is not important.
    The important part is to shed the weight at a healthy rate and to get the body used to eating smaller portions and fewer calories.
    This way we are ready for when we are all at our maintenance level.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,456 Member
    edited February 2021
    81722298.png

Onward and updownward :D
    Can't get mine to show.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,044 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    81722298.png

Onward and updownward :D
    Can't get mine to show.

I couldn't either until I read someone's instructions:
    1. Click on the APPS tab, and then the Tickers subtab.
    2. Check the box "Make Badges & Tickers Public", and click save.
    That fixed the problem for me, but... Even now, if I click MY HOME..Profile, it's hit or miss whether my ticker will display. When it doesn't, a screen refresh seems to fix it.
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    I was able to watch the superbowl (Go Tom Terrific!!) and have a few snacks and stay within my goal! I'm fairly proud of that. One small nacho plate, veggies and dip, and 6 cheese/ pepperoni pieces. It was plenty, and didn't feel like I was deprived. I think it helped that it was just my hubby and I, no party. But it is a positive step!!
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    I restarted about a month ago and have lost about 3kg so far...If I could keep losing at that rate I would be very happy.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
    We all seem to be in the same boat recently gaining and losing the same pounds. I know I’ve been frustrated with myself lately...especially since I went off the rails on Super Bowl Sunday. I felt like I was hung over on Monday, and I didn’t even drink alcohol. I think I had carb overload!

I decided to change up my routine, since it only been around 5 degrees in the morning. I’m doing uTube walking/dancing videos and it’s a real mood booster.

Monday, after SuperBowl, I hit the scales at 211.1... today I clocked in at 207.9. I think sometimes we need to change things up a bit to keep things moving in the right direction.

Happy Wednesday!

Jill🍊
  • jm216
    https://youtu.be/jOMNtKMNlvA
    Today’s awesome indoor workout
  • azalea4175
    so down 3.5# this week, pretty happy about that. Looking for local trails where I am so the dog and I can start hiking for spring. She doesn't mind if I stop every 5 min, and being outside is a bonus. I am shopping this weekend for some insulated hiking boots & gaiters so if anyone has recommendations for a reasonable cost i'd appreciate it.
  • jm216
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    so down 3.5# this week, pretty happy about that. Looking for local trails where I am so the dog and I can start hiking for spring. She doesn't mind if I stop every 5 min, and being outside is a bonus. I am shopping this weekend for some insulated hiking boots & gaiters so if anyone has recommendations for a reasonable cost i'd appreciate it.

That’s fantastic! Congratulations on your incredible loss! I have had fantastic luck with Sketchers shoes and boots. My feet love them and don’t hurt after a long walk.

Jill

https://www.google.com/search?q=skechers+hiking+boots&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
  • jm216
    It’s so hard to get the elements of weight loss together.

I’m on a great activity roll, doing uTube workouts since it so cold outside, and I’m really enjoying them.

I’ve also been consistent on logging everything, but my biggest setback is that I’ve been consistently overeating by over-snacking... 3pm and after.

I know that I need to drink more water, and I think that will help. I’m taking my 32 ounce water jug into work, so when the snack monster visits...😈...I’ll calm him down with hydration.

I’ll let you know how it goes!
    ❤️Progress not perfection❤️

Jill
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    jm216 wrote: »

I’m on a great activity roll, doing uTube workouts since it so cold outside, and I’m really enjoying them.

I’ve also been consistent on logging everything, but my biggest setback is that I’ve been consistently overeating by over-snacking... 3pm and after.

I know that I need to drink more water, and I think that will help. I’m taking my 32 ounce water jug into work, so when the snack monster visits...😈...I’ll calm him down with hydration.

Jill

Good that you’re able to identify the trouble spots. A ‘trick’ I’m remembering from long ago is to suck on ice cubes when you’re feeling bored and/or therefore snacky - hydration and sensory satisfaction without calories. Even juice or flavored water ice cubes would do minimal damage to the daily allowance.
  • daydrem_dw
    Sunday Funday
    Today’s weight 186.2

That’s up from last week. I’ve been fluctuating as much as 1.5 lbs, up and down from 185, for weeks.

I’m moving but not doing much for focused exercise. I’m journaling but not always caring enough that I’m ‘done for the day’ to not have that one last bite of this or that.

I’ve been in a funk. I’ve been stuck. The self-sabotage stops now.
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17: 207.6
    January 24: 208
    January 31: 208
    February 7: 207.2
    February 14: 207.9

❤️Hope you all had a nice Valentine’s Day!❤️
    My birthday is tomorrow, so I see cake in my future.... if only I could eat just salad and cake.

Jill❤️
  • azalea4175
    hubby's birthday weekend, so 2 family celebrations and eating out. I did very well with a little overindulgence in the 2 family meals (2 days apart) so feeling pretty good at it. I can tell eating out I'm a bit puffy from the sodium, but I did not feel deprived or like I was missing something. Today back to my eating plan, and I know the consistency of that will work long term. :smile: happy Monday everyone.
  • azalea4175
    jm216 wrote: »

Jill

Good that you’re able to identify the trouble spots. A ‘trick’ I’m remembering from long ago is to suck on ice cubes when you’re feeling bored and/or therefore snacky - hydration and sensory satisfaction without calories. Even juice or flavored water ice cubes would do minimal damage to the daily allowance.

Another trick I have discovered is to have a little protein around 2-3pm. I find it carries me all the way to dinner, and doesn't cascade any snacking activities. I usually have half a protein drink or a small pc of chicken I leave from lunch, or a hard boiled egg, etc. Maybe a cheese stick or couple apple slices with PB. Kudos to being aware of what your body needs!
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17: 207.6
    January 24: 208
    January 31: 208
    February 7: 207.2
    February 14: 207.9
    February 21: 210.8

Happy Birthday to me! Whoa... 2.9 pound gain... that was not a great gift to myself.
    I have been off the rails snacking, and it starts today that I’m back on track. I know what I need to do, and I just have to do it. No more self-sabotage. I am worth good health! I deserve to treat myself better.

My family got me an Apple Watch for my birthday and this is my motivation to be the best me I can be.

Here is to a fresh, new week!

Jill 🍎 🍊
  • daydrem_dw
    Sunday Funday
    Last week 186.2
    Today’s weight 185.8

I’m still stuck, circling 185 +|-

I had great days and not so great days this week. Motivating self-talk... I know what to do. I will do it.
  • azalea4175
    Sunday Funday
    Last week 186.2
    Today’s weight 185.8

I’m still stuck, circling 185 +|-

I had great days and not so great days this week. Motivating self-talk... I know what to do. I will do it.

I think everyone is struggling a bit this time of year. Be consistent, and don't beat yourself up. you will do this, and no one's timeline is yours. :smiley:
  • BethCW2963
    BethCW2963 Posts: 57 Member
    Monday, February 22nd, 11:59 pm. Hello from Guam!

It was a bit of a rough day for me in terms of both diet and exercise. Not many healthy food choices in the house at the moment, so I did go over my sugar by 12 grams, but the good news is everything else was slightly below my goal (including my protein. This is consistently well below the recommended daily amount for my plan, which I am not happy about, but I am doing the best I can with the food choices that are currently available to me!)

In terms of exercise, I made the decision to give my muscles a break today and give them a chance to heal. I woke up very stiff and in pain so I focused on doing gentle stretches throughout the day. Considering that it was difficult for me to even rise out of bed and make it to the bathroom a couple of short weeks ago, I felt like it was a good idea since I have been really pushing myself with my exercise routine and I am already feeling a significant improvement.

For this 58 yr old, 320 pound woman, I am taking it one day at a time but still remaining focused on my short- and long-term goals.

May everyone be blessed and have a wonderful day.
  • azalea4175
    Monday, February 22nd, 11:59 pm. Hello from Guam!

It was a bit of a rough day for me in terms of both diet and exercise. Not many healthy food choices in the house at the moment, so I did go over my sugar by 12 grams, but the good news is everything else was slightly below my goal (including my protein. This is consistently well below the recommended daily amount for my plan, which I am not happy about, but I am doing the best I can with the food choices that are currently available to me!)

In terms of exercise, I made the decision to give my muscles a break today and give them a chance to heal. I woke up very stiff and in pain so I focused on doing gentle stretches throughout the day. Considering that it was difficult for me to even rise out of bed and make it to the bathroom a couple of short weeks ago, I felt like it was a good idea since I have been really pushing myself with my exercise routine and I am already feeling a significant improvement.

For this 58 yr old, 320 pound woman, I am taking it one day at a time but still remaining focused on my short- and long-term goals.

May everyone be blessed and have a wonderful day.

I had a bit of rough time with food and exercise this past weekend - and hello from Maine! After adding up my food choices though, I realized I only went over about 300 calories, certainly not the train wreck I had convinced myself it was. My knee was bothering me (I need a replacement) so I was gentle to it this weekend, icing/heating/resting it so not a lot of activity. It does feel better today. Way to recognize what your body needed and be gentle yet consistent! I am 59 and at 290, so I can relate. Friend me if you want, we'll work through all this together!