A Person Smoking Before Gym?

Options

Replies

• LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I've never smoked but obviously it is one of the hardest habits to quit. Should a smoker not got the gym...I get the irony and all that but hey, I'm sure some people enjoy a Big Mac on the way home from the gym....:happy:
  • shonasteele
    Options
    Thankfully, I've never smoked but obviously it is one of the hardest habits to quit. Should a smoker not got the gym...I get the irony and all that but hey, I'm sure some people enjoy a Big Mac on the way home from the gym....:happy:
    Yup, or a big ole white chocolate mocha from starbucks - that'll negate a workout pretty quick too!
  • elliecolorado
    Options

Smoking is the hardest thing to quit! I have quit cocaine, meth and prescription pain killers, but can't quit smoking!
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This is like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

Now THAT would piss me off. Definitely ironic.

That's not ironic. That's unfortunate.

http://youtu.be/nT1TVSTkAXg

Which means it's a simile.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    im confused about vainity reasons for smoking?? what are they? i didn't think there was anything vain about smoking im confused

& im a smoker, far to heavy and id love to quit but its not as easy as it seems, ive cut down alot and she may have too, quitting smoking is a big thing that you just need to be ready for so lets try not to judge because unless youve been in the situation you dont how hard she is struggling. she could be hating herself for lighting up that cig!
  • LoveHoodies
    Options
    I frequently giggle at people smoking while riding bicycles.
    Yup, that one still gets me. I always assume they lost their license and are only biking because they can't drive anymore. :laugh:

I'd be afraid of the ashes flying in my eyes!
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Smoking is what makes me crawl out of bed and run in the morning. I don't have my first cigarette until I'm done.
  • ginny1214
    Options
    I do. But like someone else said; I went from about 15 a day (almost a pack) where a pack lasts me a week now! I'm cutting down gradually so I can stop completely.
  • aschultz9
    Options
    You never know, this person could have been a pack a day smoker before who has cut down to a couple a day. Not everyone is perfect.

I agree & I'm one of those persons who is into the gradual process of quitting. Sometimes you non-smokers have to be very careful & sensitive enough before judging us because you never know nor understand what we have been going through & how difficult the quitting process is. In fact I find quitting smoking much more difficult than giving up sugary & junk stuff on my diet. We didn't get to smoking in the first place if had not for any reasons. In my case, aside from both emotional & social pressure, my dad smoke a pack of cigarette per day since I was a baby & until now. As much as I had tried quitting before but seeing him smoke in our house or a pack of cigarettes readily available at every corner of our house is making it much more difficult. Not to mention my 3 brothers also smokes & we all live in one roof.

There are a million excuses not to quit. I smoked for 20 some years and am at almost 2 years smoke free. I used all those same excuses. Smoking is disgusting no matter how one tries to justify it. It's possible to quit if one really wants to.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Here's what happens. I'm an ex-smoker so I know. The sweetest cigarette is after the workout, why? Because working out pushes the nicotine out of your system, and since that's what people are addicted to, the body craves it. Having a cigarette prior to working out will make the nicotine levels higher, so as the levels lower during the workout, it will be a bit more manageable. I quit cold turkey twice. The second time was the hardest. And I know that after 20 years of not smoking that if I had a cigarette today I'd be back to a pack a day in no time. Sometimes I still miss it.

So don't be hard on someone who's working out, but still having to smoke. Quitting is NOT easy. It is an addiction. For those smokers out there, I found that quitting when I was sick with a cold was the only way I could do it. And I went a day at a time. Prior to that I only let myself smoke in certain places. Never in the car, only outside at home, etc. It's a process, it's not easy, but you can do it!
  • Elmaunie
    Elmaunie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I haven't smoked in about 5 years but have to wait outside the gym while my hubby has a quick last smoke. Yes it's ironic and I tell him off all the time but at the end of the day he's old enough and intelligent enough to know better. Plus I know he's there for his vanity and my support rather than just for his health lol.
  • Biancalee76
    Options
    I used to smoke before everything....literally. Also after as well. I quit in January 2009. Then gained about 30 lbs....now I'm here to lose it and get healthy!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ha I laugh everytime I see it. I'm like here is this person with an awesome looking body and they're inhaling this crap.
  • wickedkitty
    wickedkitty Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yup, very ironic, right up til 16 days ago when I finally quit. :embarassed:

It's not as easy to give them up as you might like to think. Would you prefer I NOT exercise and keep smoking, or start exercising and reap whatever benefits I can from that while still working on my other addictions? :smokin:

Progress, not perfection...
    My thoughts exactly. My biggest issues with myself are my weight and smoking. I choose to tackle one at a time.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Yup, very ironic, right up til 16 days ago when I finally quit. :embarassed:

It's not as easy to give them up as you might like to think. Would you prefer I NOT exercise and keep smoking, or start exercising and reap whatever benefits I can from that while still working on my other addictions? :smokin:

Progress, not perfection...
    My thoughts exactly. My biggest issues with myself are my weight and smoking. I choose to tackle one at a time.

Exactly me too. Id rather be a 12st smoker than a 20st non smoker at the moment. I must admit, even i see the irony in smoking outside the gym before going in...that's why i have my ciggie in the on the way, so its out by the time i get to the car park!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont smoke right before but I do sit on the hood of my car and smoke after (no smoking in my car) and give a big middle finger to all the "looks" I get lol
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    theyre probably just minding their own business, which is what other people should do.
    Not everyone who smokes needs to make the rest of their life totally unhealthy
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I guess its so Ironic becuase not all smokers fit into the sterotype?
    Most people are shocked to know i smoke but i do workout on a daily basis I have quit before and after loosing a loved one i pick up the bad habit again. Smoking is not easy to give up its hard long process just like loosing extra pounds or to stop eating the junk food. When I am ready to tackle that monkey on my back I will.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I've actually seen this with a lot of younger members at my gym. It's not as though they don't know that what they're doing is harming their body - I've even heard them discussing the irony of it! (That after a long workout, they're going to go have a smoke...) It doesn't surprise me. About 10 years ago, I was on a hike in Israel. We were walking up a mountain and these two girls in my group decided it would be a great time to have a cigarette. They both lit up and continued walking up the mountain. Then they both started coughing, stopped and pulled out their puffers. They then continued up the mountain with a cigarette in one hand and a puffer in the other, alternating between puffs... THAT surprised me!
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    im confused about vainity reasons for smoking?? what are they? i didn't think there was anything vain about smoking im confused

& im a smoker, far to heavy and id love to quit but its not as easy as it seems, ive cut down alot and she may have too, quitting smoking is a big thing that you just need to be ready for so lets try not to judge because unless youve been in the situation you dont how hard she is struggling. she could be hating herself for lighting up that cig!

The only vanity reason I can think of is when you're young and trying to fit in. Like when I was 14, I thought smoking made me look cool. Obviously it didn't, and by the time I quit at 29 I knew that it didn't. But once the addiction has a hold on you, it's extremely difficult to break free. I've quit and re-started more times than I can count, even quitting for almost 4 years, only to start again when my grandfather passed away in February. I quit again a few weeks ago, and even though I've noticed my endurance is better during my workouts, and I feel better in general, it is still hard to not give in to the cravings.