Anyone else swear by the post workout sugar?

Options
After a good hard training sesh I can’t help to jump on the candy train to rapidly replenish the glycogen. The truth is some people probably look at my diet and go “this chick is an *kitten*”- in reality with my post workout sweet and a tiny bit of a night time treat I probably only eat 20-35 grams of “ scary sugar”- granted with fruit my sugar ends up around 50-80 grams on average for the day.

Replies

• Hamiltonfamily2018
    Options
    I always forget about the “kitten” : ) sorry. The one swear word I use
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Right now I have this open bag of jellybeans in my candy jar. As soon as I finish a good workout, I grab a big bottle of water and a little handful of those. Seems to be the cure for what ails me. 😂
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Not post workout but I swear by it right before/during. Sour patch kids and blow pops.... people at my gym have approached me several times saying they’ve never seen someone eating candy at the gym 😂😂
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry when I'm done running.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    During-workout sugar is where it's at for me. Nothing like some Skittles or Swedish Fish during a long run.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    my hardest work out is late afternoon and by the time I get home it is time to get dinner ready which I usually make my largest and protein rich ...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat sugar before a workout (if feeling depleted), sometimes after, sometimes not at all. For a while, I was partial to the Tootsie Roll green apple caramel suckers. Fake flavor, fake color, so tasty!

Overall, I'm not a big sugar-craver these days. I do exceed my MFP default sugar goal every day, pretty much, though . . . almost entirely from fruits, veggies, and inherent sugars in dairy foods. Maybe that's part of why I don't much crave candy or similar treat-y stuff: I'm getting plenty sugar. (Don't worry; getting my protein, health fats, fiber and all that good stuff alongside, too. 😉)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    For the my occasional post-lap swim noshies, I keep little pretzel bites stuffed with peanut butter stashed in my car. A bit of salt, a bit of starch, and a bit protein all in one! And only 70 calories :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, I used to down creatine with dextrose mix after a workout. Now, I have no ritual. Sometimes I may eat something (and it doesn't have to be sugar) and sometimes I don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do pre and intra workout sugar. Works for me !
  • Hamiltonfamily2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sometimes I eat sugar before a workout (if feeling depleted), sometimes after, sometimes not at all. For a while, I was partial to the Tootsie Roll green apple caramel suckers. Fake flavor, fake color, so tasty!

Overall, I'm not a big sugar-craver these days. I do exceed my MFP default sugar goal every day, pretty much, though . . . almost entirely from fruits, veggies, and inherent sugars in dairy foods. Maybe that's part of why I don't much crave candy or similar treat-y stuff: I'm getting plenty sugar. (Don't worry; getting my protein, health fats, fiber and all that good stuff alongside, too. 😉)

Right?!? I feel like to some people my sugar may look like a lot, in reality it’s very minimal when you actually eat the serving size on the package. I too am pretty satisfied off fruit and Greek yogurt with a small dash of honey

• Hamiltonfamily2018
    Options
    During-workout sugar is where it's at for me. Nothing like some Skittles or Swedish Fish during a long run.

Swedish fish! Yaaaassss

• Hamiltonfamily2018
    Options
    Not post workout but I swear by it right before/during. Sour patch kids and blow pops.... people at my gym have approached me several times saying they’ve never seen someone eating candy at the gym 😂😂

I seriously think you may be my long lost soul sister... it makes my heart so happy to know I’m not alone.

• Hamiltonfamily2018
    Options
    Right now I have this open bag of jellybeans in my candy jar. As soon as I finish a good workout, I grab a big bottle of water and a little handful of those. Seems to be the cure for what ails me. 😂

Many many years ago not to replenish glycogen then, but just to satisfy my sweet tooth and have something to look forward to at the end of the day when I first started losing weight at 230 pounds I’d go to the Jelly Belly bulk bin at the store and buy a small bag of jelly beans, just one handful and savor them. Never in my life have I given up sugar, and never has it ever held me back from my goals