If it didn't have calories, right now I would eat...

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options

Im not a big bread or pasta person and I want both lol

Sigh.

I know better.

But at least now I get a new oven and range.

I had my favorite burner die a very early death a couple years ago. Glass-top range. I called about getting it fixed, and the price seemed way too high. I still had three other burners after all. So I made do.

It's a nice convection oven. I've been really enjoying it lately. Last night I roasted a sweet potato and an onion. Last night I made a whole wheat sourdough sponge. Today I took a couple breaks to knead and let it rise. I put my stone in the oven and preheated it. Normally for this kind of bread, I'd just put the pan of water in when I turned the oven on, but sometimes I would wait until it was preheated. That steam makes a good crust.

I knew better.

About ten minutes before I was going to put the loaves in, I opened the oven and carefully put the pan of water on the bottom rack.

Not carefully enough.

I knew better.

The oven door used to have three layers of glass. Now there's just two. I am going to call about the cost of replacing the door, but with the age of the range and the already dead burner (and who knows when the others will fail; it was a floor model I got on discount), I'm not sure I want to spring for the repairs. So unlike me. I usually fix things up forever. My truck is 23 years old, and I'm the only owner.

I knew better.

Be careful out there.

At least I have a couple loaves of whole wheat sourdough to enjoy. Slow risers because I didn't add any yeast, but they look pretty decent.....
    mgd6qua13vf2.jpg

Now you know better too. Don't do what I did. I feel terrible.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot - I'm sorry I don't quite understand what happened. So did you shatter the glass of your old convection oven when you put the pan of water in? What happened to the 'third' layer of glass?
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Im not a big bread or pasta person and I want both lol

Sigh.

I know better.

But at least now I get a new oven and range.

I had my favorite burner die a very early death a couple years ago. Glass-top range. I called about getting it fixed, and the price seemed way too high. I still had three other burners after all. So I made do.

It's a nice convection oven. I've been really enjoying it lately. Last night I roasted a sweet potato and an onion. Last night I made a whole wheat sourdough sponge. Today I took a couple breaks to knead and let it rise. I put my stone in the oven and preheated it. Normally for this kind of bread, I'd just put the pan of water in when I turned the oven on, but sometimes I would wait until it was preheated. That steam makes a good crust.

I knew better.

About ten minutes before I was going to put the loaves in, I opened the oven and carefully put the pan of water on the bottom rack.

Not carefully enough.

I knew better.

The oven door used to have three layers of glass. Now there's just two. I am going to call about the cost of replacing the door, but with the age of the range and the already dead burner (and who knows when the others will fail; it was a floor model I got on discount), I'm not sure I want to spring for the repairs. So unlike me. I usually fix things up forever. My truck is 23 years old, and I'm the only owner.

I knew better.

Be careful out there.

At least I have a couple loaves of whole wheat sourdough to enjoy. Slow risers because I didn't add any yeast, but they look pretty decent.....
    mgd6qua13vf2.jpg

Now you know better too. Don't do what I did. I feel terrible.

Bummer, sorry that happened 😔
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    @mtaratoot - I'm sorry I don't quite understand what happened. So did you shatter the glass of your old convection oven when you put the pan of water in? What happened to the 'third' layer of glass?

Temp shock..
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

Temp shock..

That would SO suck! But now I'm wondering how the bread was baked successfully?
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options

Temp shock..

Inside glass broke so I assume oven still works .. just not as efficient
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options

Temp shock..

RIP :(
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Yes, temperature shock.

I spilled some water on the inside glass, and it cracked. Yes, it will still run. I will clean up the glass as best as I can and limp the oven along until I get a new one. The oven will still function, and since there weren't shards flying around, I went ahead and baked my loaves. They're ok. Nothing too special, but tasty anyway.

I've been wondering how long the thing would live anyway. My favorite burner stopped working years ago, and I've limped along like a three-legged dog (three-burner cook) since then. I called about a repair, but the cost was so high, I would have needed an O2 tank to be able to get up there. I figured I'd wait at least until another burner went out. The updated version of my range is on sale now, and it has a no-preheat air fryer feature now, so I'm thinking I'll just lick my wounds and pony up the cash to replace it now and then BE CAREFUL not to pull such a bone-head maneuver in the future. Like I said, I knew better. I even just the other day read about someone who did just the same thing. I wonder if subconsciously I sabotaged myself. I doubt it. I'm pretty frugal, and I'm not looking forward to figuring out where the savings are going to come from, but it was kind of a planned expense... but not for another year or two.

I'm tempted to see if I can find a gas cooktop with equivalent electric convection oven, but then I'd need to plumb a gas line under my "snake space" (it's too small to call it a crawl space) and up into the kitchen, and just doing THAT would cost more than a new range.

Price of being a bonehead, I guess.

I didn't take a vacation this year, so I guess that's where the money is coming from. I'm going to have to do a LOT of baking....
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    at5eesjhmuwy.png
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Yes, temperature shock.

I spilled some water on the inside glass, and it cracked. Yes, it will still run. I will clean up the glass as best as I can and limp the oven along until I get a new one. The oven will still function, and since there weren't shards flying around, I went ahead and baked my loaves. They're ok. Nothing too special, but tasty anyway.

I've been wondering how long the thing would live anyway. My favorite burner stopped working years ago, and I've limped along like a three-legged dog (three-burner cook) since then. I called about a repair, but the cost was so high, I would have needed an O2 tank to be able to get up there. I figured I'd wait at least until another burner went out. The updated version of my range is on sale now, and it has a no-preheat air fryer feature now, so I'm thinking I'll just lick my wounds and pony up the cash to replace it now and then BE CAREFUL not to pull such a bone-head maneuver in the future. Like I said, I knew better. I even just the other day read about someone who did just the same thing. I wonder if subconsciously I sabotaged myself. I doubt it. I'm pretty frugal, and I'm not looking forward to figuring out where the savings are going to come from, but it was kind of a planned expense... but not for another year or two.

I'm tempted to see if I can find a gas cooktop with equivalent electric convection oven, but then I'd need to plumb a gas line under my "snake space" (it's too small to call it a crawl space) and up into the kitchen, and just doing THAT would cost more than a new range.

Price of being a bonehead, I guess.

I didn't take a vacation this year, so I guess that's where the money is coming from. I'm going to have to do a LOT of baking....

Well...I guess it was coming. Just a little sooner than the later that you were hoping for. Let the baking begin!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    res8z7mzivkp.jpg
    mkufr62fc58q.jpg
    jcce6i3nhlkh.jpg
    76g1aa30j0vf.jpg
    my4oxgfslxi9.jpg

OMG the second one!! *drool*

scndry7wbi6i.png
    The whole bag
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Es Martes!!!!!

y2lvej5keud3.png

3380r9da6ltw.png

mzw862d8yfyu.png

9shp007cj1io.png

0tapjwvggury.png
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I totally should have made tacos instead of baking bread.

I'd still have an oven.....
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Since I missed tacos on Martes, maybe there's pasta in my future for Mercoledì

0p24cj0ummrv.png

54mbagmxyr9d.png

c3w9tu0eb3aj.png

9etf6lufurpw.png

mx2wdz19bkuy.png
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    9grc4sxx9389.png
    Now...why didn't I come up with this??? Can hardly believe this (mini packaged halva)hasn't been on the market yet! Great idea...a dangerous, dangerous idea however😆
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    aegszjm3qngs.jpg
    ol692b2yv3c2.jpg
    wwlg5xadoh2g.jpg
    thbk8bhnfea1.jpg
  • callriter
    callriter Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Chicken wings every meal every day
  • mwgibler
    mwgibler Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Lasagna fo sho
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I made mac n cheese for dh yesterday and it came out really good. I'm not that great of a cook :/ But I'm having a very challenging time not diving into all the leftovers. And I can't even start because if I do, it's all over. :(
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I made mac n cheese for dh yesterday and it came out really good. I'm not that great of a cook :/ But I'm having a very challenging time not diving into all the leftovers. And I can't even start because if I do, it's all over. :(

This is why when I cook I only make as much as I'll eat and never have leftovers, LOL. :D