How many Steps to you do a day on your fitness tracker

Options
How many steps a day do you do on your fitness tracker? And do you track anything else with the device ? e.g. heart rate, sleep, etc.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Last 7 days average: 3720 steps daily. It's higher in better weather, but maybe only 5000-6000 unless I do an intentional walk. I try to only do enough steps-based activity to stay conditioned to it. I have crummy knees, don't like to try to drive steps upward routinely because I'm likely to have more discomfort as a result.

I use it to track exercise pace, distance, and heart rate, among other things - whatever factors it will track that are relevant to particular activity I'm doing. (I don't swim enough to care about swimming stats, which tends to require a specialized device; I do use my watch in conjunction with a chest belt heart rate monitor for rowing, because the wrist-based monitor loses contact too often because of arm flexion, and gives me inaccurate data. The chest belt remedies that problem. I don't wear it all day, every day, just when doing activities where it's needful.) I mostly care about rowing (on water and machine), with some casual interest in biking and walking (i.e., intentional walks).

Mine theoretically tracks sleep, but routinely is inaccurate, so I ignore it. It regularly thinks I'm asleep (usually thinks REM sleep), for example, if I lay in bed in the AM and catch up on email/texts on my phone, or something like that. It also fails to identify wake-ups during the night (frequent for me) unless I actually move around a good bit when I wake up. (Usually I just look at my watch/clock and go right back to sleep, barely moving at all.) I've had the opportunity to compare its results to an in-hospital overnight sleep study, where I was all wired up to every possible kind of monitor. The fitness tracker showed something quite differently from the higher-tech monitoring, to say the least.

I also pay attention to resting heart rate, because that gives me feedback on my cardiovascular fitness: Gradually creeping upward over a long time is a hint that I'm not getting enough CV activity, or - on the flip side - that I'm overdoing higher-intensity exercise. A single unusual day is no big deal: For example, I'll usually see a little jump in resting heart rate the next day after noticeably exceeding my maintenance calories, but that fades away pretty fast. I use HR during exercise to limit highly intense exercise to frequencies/durations that are helpful to fitness, but not excessively fatiguing.

I like my device a lot, but I think it's useful to understand a little about how they do what they do. Some people seem to think the outputs are gospel truth, when they're typically approximations/estimates, better in some cases than others.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    6bnot7qghwlg.png

Because I'm not back to work yet, I've been walk/run every other day, but walk at least 3 hours a day. 90 min in the morning and then 90 min before dinner.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    5000 every other day
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    vpg542i0p288.png

This isn't this week. I haven't been wearing it for a couple weeks but I took this ss for a friend about a month ago. It's a fairly typical week since the gym has been closed and I am not working (I work on my feet so I have more when I work)
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I do about 6000 - 7000 per day now - my goal is minimum 8000 but I never hit that anymore since working from home. If I don't walk my dogs one day it is even lower. I also track my heart rate, days of exercise, and sleep. I have terrible insomnia so when I hit 7 hours for the night it makes me very happy. (I hit 8 hours one day last week for the first time ever which was nice.)
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff what app are you using?
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    LindaRN I am inspired. 14,000 at 72. Wow
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    AnnPT77 thank you for being so detailed I appreciate the thought you put into your responses. They are very thought provoking.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Gail I track my sleep too I have mine set for 8 hours but I never seem to get more than 6. I also just started tracking my heart rate.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I just use a step tracker on my phone. My goal is >15000. My highest is around 28k.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Way to go DancingMoosie 28k is impressive.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I aim for 10,000; but I don't always hit it. I have a desk job and homeschool my kid in the evenings and cook/clean, all that fun stuff.

Most days I get it, but, sometimes my timing just doesn't work out. I probably miss it once every couple weeks.

Most of my steps are taken literally jogging around my dining room table while helping my kid with her math.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    it's turned off cold in Texas - we have a winter advisory thru tuesday of next week. It was 29 yesterday, 27 today and ice is forcasted for tomorrow. And temps in the teens over the weekend. And maybe real snow on Monday so I might follow your example and jog around my dining room table for my steps for the next couple of days too.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    For me it varies day to day, but this is an overview of the past month:
    vza8mujkwqrv.jpg

My step count comes from:
    - laps around my living room, while watching TV or being on my phone (something I started doing at the start of Covid-19, working from home full-time since then and missing my commute walks)
    - running on the treadmill
    - outdoor walks occasionally, which explains that 28k spike you see on the graph (15km walk on top of indoor laps)
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a 14-15k average girl. Prior to lockdown it was more like 8k but plus swimming/gym etc
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Wow all that in your livingroom. I like your graph. What app is that and what device are you using ? I love the details.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    ninerbuff what app are you using?
    Fitbit. I have a Charge 3

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    @mpkpbk2015 If you hit the Quote button at the bottom of anyone's post, you can directly reply to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I
    I
    I
    I
    \/
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    Wow all that in your livingroom. I like your graph. What app is that and what device are you using ? I love the details.

If you're talking about my graph, I have a Garmin 🙂 (and a big living/dining room 😁)