Tried "Curves"

Options
Thinking seriously about joining Curves and wanted to know if anyone out there has, liked the results, and/or thought it was worth the money...

Replies

• KeeleySue
    Options
    My mom and aunt did great with Curves. It's basically circuit training, so just have to decide if it's worth the price or not. If you want to do circuit training, check out other gyms too. Most of a class and may be cheaper.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Curves is great. I love it. Not only is there the circuit training but Zumba classes too. I have been losing weight, inches and burning some major calories according to my HRM (Heart Rate Monitor).
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I did it for a year. I liked it as it wasn't too bad after years of being a couch bum. That said, I got bored quick and after a few months didn't see any movement in my body. I started doing water aerobics last year as well as other exercise. I find I do better when I mix it up.

ALSO, the cost was really expensive in comparison to the regular gym i.e. $48 a month vs $27 and the gym has all kinds of stuff to do and I get a 40% discount on the class passes! I would say if you can get a month to month membership or maybe buy the book and do the exercises at home for a few months and then join a normal gym.
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of Curves for almost 3 years. I like the fact that I don't have to think about where to start. You just jump right in on the circuit and go. I also like that there is a wide range of women who go and they all have the same thing in mind....to workout. I can get my workout done in 30 minutes and I feel great. I've had very good results with Curves and have lost inches. However, I wasn't losing the weight, which is why I'm here. Since starting MFP and continuing with Curves, I'm noticing big differences in my body. I've compared their prices to the price of other gym memberships and they are all the same (at least in my area). You can go in and see if they will give you a free 30 day membership. That's how I started with them. Good Luck!
  • Jaded_GRL
    Options
    curves is a great way to start out for someone who does not get much exercise and wants to start out on lower intensity. you will burn calories and gain muscle. BUT for some people it is not enough because they only need to loose a little weight and are already more advanced then curves. I looked at your profile and it would probably be a great start for you before or after work on a routine to get you going. curves three days a week and maybe a walk in a park with coworkers or in your neighborhood as often as you like (even just 5 minutes"there & back" is great!). After a month your heart will be stronger and you should feel better and you may see you will need more then curves can offer. But remember, you don't have to join a gym to loose weight! The success boards here are full of people who just walked or did home videos or routines and lost mega pounds. I love pilates bands (no handles, just rubber strips) for workouts of strength at home. And if you have a bike to ride... you can burn SERIOUS calories in short amount of time. My mom is 60+ years old and 250 pounds. She rode the bike down the street and back for only a seven minute workout and was exhausted, and burnd 200+ calories. A heart rate monitor would be a better investment then a gym membership!!! Then you can wear it at home or on walks when ever you are putting forth effort to do more. Track your calories and see just how much you burn! A good one will have a chest strap (a must!) and should have a way to enter your stats (height weight age) and track calories burned.
  • cynma
    cynma Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people who have tried it and really liked it. I tried it and did not. I found it boring and only stayed about six months.
  • bharkin712
    Options
    I have been going to Curves for four weeks and I love it! The circuit moves quickly and you start wherever you want on the circle. At my location, you can pay $34 per month with no contract or $99 for 90-days and no contract. They also offer Zumba classes, which I plan to start this week because I LOVE Zumba. I have to pay an extra $6 for the class. If you don't have a monthly membership, you pay $8 per class. I have to switch things up or I get bored so I walk uphill and do pilates/yoga on the days when Curves is closed (Sundays) or they open later than I like (Saturdays). Curves builds strength and burns my 30-minutes of exercise calorie goal. Give it a try! You can usually try it free for a week. Good luck!
  • ChelseaL618
    ChelseaL618 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was a member of Curves for about a year, but I got bored with it really quickly. However, there were several great advantages too. First, it's women only. I liked that I didn't have to use the same machines as the muscle heads like I would in a regular gym. Also, Curves provided a great sense of community. All of the women were very friendly and chatted with each other throughout their workouts. I think that Curves was a great starting off point for me because I lead a sedentary life style. It helped me to get into shape and after I reached my plateau at Curves, which took about 3 months, I was ready to join another gym. When I decided to cancel my membership the Curves manager was very nice and didn't try to 'hard sell' me on staying.

Chelsea