vegetarian food thread

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I'd be really interested to hear your vege recipes. I love to cook, cook pretty much everyday, but I'm a bit bored with my cooking at the moment.

I'll get us started. For dinner tonight, my partner wanted burgers so he had beef, and my daughter and I had:

Oven chips - potatoes cut into chip shaped pieces, tossed in a bit of olive oil and baked in the oven till lovely and crispy.
Mushroom burger - a lovely bread roll, with a grilled portabello mushroom, grilled with garlic and a teaspoon of light butter, some grilled halloumi, and plenty of salad.

Replies

• pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear some too.

My best recipe is a vegetarian paella, very quick and easy to make and very nutritious and filling!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love using portabellos. I use them to make fajitas.

Also this is one of my favorite recipes
    Philly Cheese "steak" sandwich
    Ingredients
    • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 medium onion, sliced
    • 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed , sliced
    • 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    • 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
    • 3 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
    • 4 whole-wheat buns, split and toasted

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, about 7 minutes.
    2. Reduce heat to low; sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, lay cheese slices on top of the vegetables, cover and let stand until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
    3. Divide the mixture into 4 portions with a spatula, leaving the melted cheese layer on top. Scoop a portion onto each toasted bun and serve immediately.

A few of my favorite recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Addictive-Sweet-Potato-Burritos/Detail.aspx

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/05/quinoa-taco-salad.html
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I'd be really interested to hear your vege recipes. I love to cook, cook pretty much everyday, but I'm a bit bored with my cooking at the moment.

I'll get us started. For dinner tonight, my partner wanted burgers so he had beef, and my daughter and I had:

Oven chips - potatoes cut into chip shaped pieces, tossed in a bit of olive oil and baked in the oven till lovely and crispy.
    Mushroom burger - a lovely bread roll, with a grilled portabello mushroom, grilled with garlic and a teaspoon of light butter, some grilled halloumi, and plenty of salad.

Yum. . . .

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/316569-must-try-burger?page=1#posts-4211239

*my new best friend*
    http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
  • meerkat70
    Options
    urbanhippie, that steak sandwich sounds amazing!

pandabear, I'd love to hear about your paella?
  • Auroriux
    Options
    Im not vegan i just dont eat red meats or chiken.

how ever you can always replace the feta cheese for the imitation cheese.
    this is one of my favs!

Greek Salad
    2cups of kalamata olives (pitted)
    2 cups of cherry tomatoes
    half red onion in small chunks
    1 cucumber a little think slices.
    olive oil
    1 Lemon or lime (juice)
    dry oregano (t small t spoon)
    and Feta cheese half cup or *imitation feta cheese
    mix all together and.. done!
    (i usually mix the Lemon juice and oregano with the onions first)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Oh I love a good greek salad! mmmmm.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I could try and type a recipe, but I really just guess with mine so I won't give the quantities. You can judge for yourself depending on how much paella you would like to make.

But as a general recipe. Ingredients:

Paella rice
    Tin of chopped tomatoes
    Broccoli
    Garlic
    Red onion
    Chickpeas
    Green, orange, yellow pepper
    Mushrooms
    Quorn chicken style pieces
    Green beans
    Peas
    Vegetable stock
    Turmeric
    Mixed herbs
    Vegetable oil

(Add any more vegetables you like - it really doesn't matter!)

1. Cook paella rice in boiling water and leave to simmer
    2. Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in large saucepan or a wok
    3. Fry broccoli, mushrooms, peas, green beans, peppers (all vegetables you're using) together in saucepan. Stirring, add garlic and onion. Add quorn chicken style pieces.
    4. Pour in chopped tomatoes and chickpeas, in water. Then simmer until most of the liquid evaporates. If it is a little dry add vegetable stock.
    5. Heat all vegetables until cooked. Check rice to see if it is cooked, if not leave saucepan on a low heat whilst you wait for rice to cook.
    6. Add turmeric and mixed herbs to vegetables in saucepan.
    7. Drain rice and add the rice to the saucepan, using a wooden spoon stir the rice into the vegetables. The rice should turn orange from the turmeric and it shouldn't be dry, the rice should absorb the liquid in the saucepan. Add more stock if you need to! If there is any liquid left after adding rice, just simmer the saucepan on a low heat.
    8. Serve!

You can also add anymore spices if you want to give it a spicy taste and you can also add cheese.
  • littlemount
    Options
    Made this today from good housekeeping magazine

Carrot ginger soup

In a saucepan add grated ginger, water bring to boil add greentea bag remove from heat let it stand.for 10 minutes. Remove the tea bag from the water. Heat 1 tsp olive oil add onions, carrots, potatoes little salt and black pepper add the water with the ginger cook till veggies tender.

For a little more antioxidant punch add pinch of curry powder and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Simmer for some more time. till the raw smell of turmeric is gone, Take half soup and puree it and return to the pot, if needed u can add peas at this time cook for some more time.Serve in soup bowls garnish with green onions.

[1 onion, 1-2 lb carrots cut in chunks , 1 med potato peeled and chopped]
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Carrot and ginger sounds really interesting. I normally do carrot and commander or carrot and orange. That sounds sum.
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well I love this lentil shepherds pie, makes enough for 4 portions and is dead easy just boil/steam the sweet potatoes and mash with the elf cheese for the mash, for the base just cook the onion, carrot until soft then add the tinned toms and stock and the lentils, just cook for about another 10 mins then make the individual pies, they freeze well and are really yummy, proper comfort food - enjoy.

Tesco - Sweet Potatoes, 800 g 744
    Fresh Produce - White Onion (1cup), 1 cup
    Whole Foods - Organic Raw Carrot, 2 carrot
    Tesco - Tinned Chopped Tomatoes In Juice, 1 container (400 gs ea.)
    Marigold - Stock Powder, 2 teaspoon
    Tesco Healthy Eating - Extra Light Soft & Light Onion & Chive Soft Cheese, 30 g
    Tesco - Green Lentils (Drained), 1 can
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Carrot and ginger sounds really interesting. I normally do carrot and commander or carrot and orange. That sounds sum.

ROFL I really must stop typing on my phone! Carrot and Coriander. Carrot and Commander sounds like a dodgy action movie!

Mo, that shepherd's pie sounds great!
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread - loads of new ideas to try! I eat mostly vegetarian food and one of my standbys is this recipe from allrecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/ It's great as is, but I usually modify it and use whatever we have around. For instance, yesterday I made it with lentils instead of black beans and added bell peppers, celery and cherry tomatoes. It was amazing!

Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Directions

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
    Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Summer Vegetable Ravioli - this is a great recipe I made for the first time last week out of an old Pillsbury Cookbook

Prep Time: 25 Min
    Makes: 4 (1 1/2­cup) servings

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (9-oz.) pkg. refrigerated cheese ravioli
    2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
    1 small onion, coarsely chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, sliced
    1 1/2 cups Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ Niblets® frozen corn
    1/2 cup vegetable broth
    2 cups coarsely chopped seeded Italian plum tomatoes
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    1 oz. (1/4 cup) shredded fresh Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    Cook ravioli as directed on package. Drain; cover to keep warm.
    Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add zucchini, corn and broth; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
    Add tomatoes, basil and cooked ravioli; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. If desired, add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with cheese. If desired, garnish with a fresh basil sprig.

Nutritional Information:
    1 Serving (1 1/2 Cups)Calories 380(Calories from Fat 150),Total Fat 17g(Saturated Fat 6g,Cholesterol 60mg;Sodium 490mg;Total Carbohydrate 41g(Dietary Fiber 4g,Sugars 7g),Protein 15g;Percent Daily Value*:Vitamin A 15.00%;Vitamin C 20.00%;Calcium 25.00%;Iron 10.00%;Exchanges:2 1/2 Starch;1 Vegetable;1/2 Lean Meat;3 Fat;*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I make all kinds of vegetarian recipes. While I am trying to cut down on my meat in take, my mom and stepfather are vegetarians so I'm always trying to come up with new ideas for them. One of them is a cucumber, onion, and tomato salad with balsamic vinaigrette and feta cheese, just mix it up the night before and let the veggies and cheese absorb the yummy salad dressing. Then I also make sloppy Jo's with the morning star crumbles, and I also do the cabbage rolls this way as well. They're amazing.
  • I make a veggie chilli every 2 weeks

In the crock pot

I stir fry/ soften : carrots, onions and peppers
    Then throw them in the crock pot with:
    Can of tomatoes
    Squirt of tomato paste
    Can kidney beans
    Can butter beans
    Small can corn
    Can black beans
    Can of - any other bean you've got
    Some textured veggie protein(dry) 1/2 cup- 1 cup
    Can black olives

Season to taste: cumin, oregano, black pepper

Serve over brown rice or quinoa
    Add shredded light cheese

I could live on this!!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I'm making something with quinoa tonight. Not entirely sure what yet (I tend to make things up as I go along!), but if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you are okay with meat substitutes then this one is full of protein and very filling. I find it makes 4 portions and it works out abour 280 calories per portion serve it with green veg or crusty bread (those calories not included in the 280)

http://cauldronfoods.co.uk/recipes/main-courses/sausage-lentil-simmer.cfm

I actually do it with the swedish "meatballs" from quorn instead of sausages.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I actually do it with the swedish "meatballs" from quorn instead of sausages.

I love those! But sadly nobody else in my family does.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Had butternut soup for lunch today

A butternut, a potato and an onion, cooked with some vege stock. Spiced with cumin, coriander, cinnamon. Boil up till it's cooked, then stick it in the blender. Stir in a bit of low fat cream if you fancy, and as much black pepper as you enjoy. Quick and easy and very nice.
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    TOnight we are trying a new recipe (dont always eat veggie, but we do sometimes. I think my hubby- and well I, would die going full on veggie!)

Spinach and broccoli enchiladas

1 med onion (we will use more)
    2 tsp olive oil
    spinach (calls for frozen, but we will do a bag of fresh)
    1 cup finely chopped broccoli
    1 cup picante sauce, divided
    garlic powder
    cumin
    8 oz cottage cheese
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    8 flour torillas (we use wheat)

1) cook and stir onion in oil until tender- add spinach, broccoli, 1/3 cup picante, garlic and cumin
    2) remove from heat, stir in cheeses
    3) put mixture into tortillas and roll
    4) cover and back at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes, uncover, sprinkle rest of cheese on top, and bake 5 more minutes. top with rest of picante.

I will be serving it with quinoa and some sort of veggie :)