Goals and exercise calories

Options
I set mfp for smaller goals to get to where I want to be. I want to lose a total of 45 to 50 lb. So I set my goal for -10 lb and as I lose those 10 then I make the adjustment. Should I just put my total goal weight instead of the 10 lbs that I adjust to get to my total weight? I hope someone understands what I'm asking.
My next question is. Mfp has set me for 1200 calories a day and I do get an exercise in. Should I be eating those calories that I burn with my exercise? I'm pretty new to this so I have been reading and I'm a little confused. Some doing some don't. Thank you any advice, I welcome it

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If smaller goals help you with staying the course, then that is what you should do. And yes, exercise calories are supposed to be eaten back.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Here are the "Most Helpful Posts" list from the Getting Started subforum. (Each sub has its own Most Helpful, check them out)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Definitely read this one:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I set mfp for smaller goals to get to where I want to be. I want to lose a total of 45 to 50 lb. So I set my goal for -10 lb and as I lose those 10 then I make the adjustment. Should I just put my total goal weight instead of the 10 lbs that I adjust to get to my total weight? I hope someone understands what I'm asking.
    My next question is. Mfp has set me for 1200 calories a day and I do get an exercise in. Should I be eating those calories that I burn with my exercise? I'm pretty new to this so I have been reading and I'm a little confused. Some doing some don't. Thank you any advice, I welcome it

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

What weekly weight loss goal did you select? With only 45-50 pounds to lose, a pound a week is more sustainable than a more aggressive goal.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • mipanarican
    mipanarican Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Setting a goal weight target of a big loss or a small loss doesn't change your calories today as it's based on your stats right now.

Remember MyFitnessPal didn't set you at 1200, you picked a rate of loss that takes away calories from your estimated current weight maintenance calories. If you pick a fast rate of loss you are more likely to hit the minimum 1200 that MFP will not go below. You don't have to pick the fastest rate available though, have a serious think about sustainability.

Yes your daily goal when it says 1200 really means 1200 plus exercise calories. Whatever your exercise actually is the database here may not be the best choice to get good estimates.
    MFP is just a bit different in how it's presented from TDEE sites and all day trackers but they all intend you to take a significant calorie expenditure into account.

(IMHO the people not eating back exercise calories are having a very short term view of exercise as a weight loss tool rather than being a great thing to do for life to boost your health, fitness and even enjoyment. And you get to eat more while maintaining the deficit you picked.)

Thank you for your input
  • mipanarican
    mipanarican Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

What weekly weight loss goal did you select? With only 45-50 pounds to lose, a pound a week is more sustainable than a more aggressive goal.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I chose 1 pound a week weight loss. I didn't want to focus on the whole big 45 to 50 so I didn't know if it made a difference which I don't think it does. but thank you for your input and I'm going to go ahead and look at what you put on there appreciate it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Eat half of the calories back. Just make sure that the calorie count on your exercise is accurate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the above, also make sure your calorie count of your food is accurate. Weigh on a kitchen scale to the gram everything that goes in your mouth. It may surprise you.