Trying to lose 100 lbs, never been to a gym where do I start?

Options
2»

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    The common factor in any weight loss success, is calorie deficit. That’s it.

How you accomplish this is your choice. Take advice from those you think would work best for you. No one knows you better than yourself.

Exercise is not necessary for weight loss, but is great for overall health.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    bubus05 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    To lose a 100 lbs is no small task as a matter of fact it is very, very hard. I have dropped roughly 90 in the past eleven months and for me getting prepared mentally for what was coming was the first step. Because it is a rough ride, but worth it. There is a lady over on 'success stories' comment section who posted I think today about losing a 100 lbs with keto+intermittent fasting, I concur. This is the way.

If this is “the way”, why are you on a site designed to track calories? Answer: because weight loss is EXCLUSIVELY CICO.

How many people lose weight, cutting NOTHING out of their diet, but eat in a calorie deficit? Answer: 100%.

How many people lose weight on Keto if they are not in a calorie deficit? Answer: ZERO %. I am one of those people who ate Keto for 10 years because people like you kept preaching it was the way. It created disordered eating, WEIGHT GAIN, even frequent nightmares. So when you spew your non-science nonsense, I can only imagine how many other peoples lives you are giving false hope to.

I do IF (naturally) and I STILL need to count calories or I WILL GAIN WEIGHT! So no, there is no magical property of IF. It’s a tool.

You are a troll at this point, I’m certain of it. Eat keto all you want, knock yourself out. Just don’t continue to lie to people that don’t know any better.

The word 'KETO' is apparently offensive. Why are you attacking me calling me names for something I didn't say, not very nice is it...you are reading lines that are not there. Who said anything about not having to count calories. I am not giving 'false hope' to anyone, I am saying losing a 100 lbs is no small task and one has to prepare mentally-i know I had to- because it aint easy, am I wrong? I will try not to 'knock myself out' and i never lied to anyone. By the way keto and calorie counting work just fine together, I know because I am doing it. That doesn't mean keto will work for everyone, it is one of many strategies out there, but to completely dismiss it because it didn't work for you is wrong. Why even do it for ten years if it is clearly not the right diet...
    It might be because you last sentence said "this is the way", implying that people who need to lose 100lbs should follow keto.
    Remember, this is an open forum and there are A LOT of lurkers out there that DO NOT post at all and just read remarks. And lots of people are susceptible and desperate to lose weight that they are willing to do just about anything that sounds like it will get results.
    Now I'm NOT saying you can't lose on keto. As a trainer I believe there are better plans. I've had several clients lose 80+ to 100+lbs on just a calorie deficit and exercising without having to give up foods they actually enjoy eating. And what person WOULDN'T love to lose weight that way? You know as well as I do there are foods that are totally forbidden from keto plans and if people are going to have a mental fight with it, then it should be mentioned.
    As for Ddsb11, she may have on keto for 10 years because that all everyone was saying. Fads work like that. Let's face it, there are millions of dieters out there that have been on "eat clean" only plans, no "junk food" plans, "no dairy" plans, etc. for years and years and lose a little here and regain back and then restart over again and again.
    My personal opinion, I've met just a handful of people who've done keto successfully and kept it off for 5 years. And I've been doing this over 35+ years. The most successful people I've seen are people who just DON'T overindulge in their daily eating regimens. Again, there are no sure fire ways since everyone is different, but because of that difference we should be offering as much info as we can so it's easier for them to make a decision on what plan might be right for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And that's fine. Explaining why I may be wrong or why you may disagree is one thing, calling me a liar or troll is another. Not that I am offended-Ddsb11 seems to be- just a bit frustrated, I have been called worse, LOL. What else can I say other than my experiences, I am not implying anything, I am saying what worked, yeah maybe 'this is the way' is a bit too much, sounds cool though.

I’m afraid I heard it said in the voice of the Mandalorian armorer and started giggling uncontrollably. If that’s cool...
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    nearspk640 wrote: »
    As title says I'm trying to lose 100 pounds right now I'm at 285 which is the heaviest I've been and its really got me down. I'm looking to go to the gym but I dont even know where to start any help would be appreciated

There's a couple of things to "unpack".

First: It seems obvious, but check out the gyms in your area and see if they fit your needs.

Gyms vary a lot, and you might not feel comfortable going to the one infested by "gym rats" or the one that only seem to cater to triathletes. Do they seem positive and accepting, or do you get a vibe that you're "too big for this gym?" If you are looking for swimming, do they have a pool?

I would encourage asking if there are any staff good at working with people just starting workouts. If you're new to working out, it's easy to use bad form, or overdo reps, or otherwise do things that could end up causing you an injury. If you are heavy, you should likely be starting with water workouts, stationary bikes, or other workouts that are easy on joints. Some trainers are better at this than others.

Actually go there and get a sense if you feel comfortable, it's clean, doing social distancing, etc.

Also, check out costs. If you feel high pressured, it's OK to walk out. Gyms are notorious for having high pressure salespeople, lots of fine print, and hidden costs. (But with COVID they're also dropping prices as well.)

If you have a friend or coworker who has a gym, often there's some sort of free pass that members can use for a free visit.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    jayclock wrote: »
    1 Find a gym 1-2km away.
    2 walk there and back. don't go in
    3 eat less calories
    4 when the walking is easy, find another gym further away

brilliant.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    To lose a 100 lbs is no small task as a matter of fact it is very, very hard. I have dropped roughly 90 in the past eleven months and for me getting prepared mentally for what was coming was the first step. Because it is a rough ride, but worth it. There is a lady over on 'success stories' comment section who posted I think today about losing a 100 lbs with keto+intermittent fasting, I concur. This is the way.

If this is “the way”, why are you on a site designed to track calories? Answer: because weight loss is EXCLUSIVELY CICO.

How many people lose weight, cutting NOTHING out of their diet, but eat in a calorie deficit? Answer: 100%.

How many people lose weight on Keto if they are not in a calorie deficit? Answer: ZERO %. I am one of those people who ate Keto for 10 years because people like you kept preaching it was the way. It created disordered eating, WEIGHT GAIN, even frequent nightmares. So when you spew your non-science nonsense, I can only imagine how many other peoples lives you are giving false hope to.

I do IF (naturally) and I STILL need to count calories or I WILL GAIN WEIGHT! So no, there is no magical property of IF. It’s a tool.

You are a troll at this point, I’m certain of it. Eat keto all you want, knock yourself out. Just don’t continue to lie to people that don’t know any better.

The word 'KETO' is apparently offensive. Why are you attacking me calling me names for something I didn't say, not very nice is it...you are reading lines that are not there. Who said anything about not having to count calories. I am not giving 'false hope' to anyone, I am saying losing a 100 lbs is no small task and one has to prepare mentally-i know I had to- because it aint easy, am I wrong? I will try not to 'knock myself out' and i never lied to anyone. By the way keto and calorie counting work just fine together, I know because I am doing it. That doesn't mean keto will work for everyone, it is one of many strategies out there, but to completely dismiss it because it didn't work for you is wrong. Why even do it for ten years if it is clearly not the right diet...
    It might be because you last sentence said "this is the way", implying that people who need to lose 100lbs should follow keto.
    Remember, this is an open forum and there are A LOT of lurkers out there that DO NOT post at all and just read remarks. And lots of people are susceptible and desperate to lose weight that they are willing to do just about anything that sounds like it will get results.
    Now I'm NOT saying you can't lose on keto. As a trainer I believe there are better plans. I've had several clients lose 80+ to 100+lbs on just a calorie deficit and exercising without having to give up foods they actually enjoy eating. And what person WOULDN'T love to lose weight that way? You know as well as I do there are foods that are totally forbidden from keto plans and if people are going to have a mental fight with it, then it should be mentioned.
    As for Ddsb11, she may have on keto for 10 years because that all everyone was saying. Fads work like that. Let's face it, there are millions of dieters out there that have been on "eat clean" only plans, no "junk food" plans, "no dairy" plans, etc. for years and years and lose a little here and regain back and then restart over again and again.
    My personal opinion, I've met just a handful of people who've done keto successfully and kept it off for 5 years. And I've been doing this over 35+ years. The most successful people I've seen are people who just DON'T overindulge in their daily eating regimens. Again, there are no sure fire ways since everyone is different, but because of that difference we should be offering as much info as we can so it's easier for them to make a decision on what plan might be right for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And that's fine. Explaining why I may be wrong or why you may disagree is one thing, calling me a liar or troll is another. Not that I am offended-Ddsb11 seems to be- just a bit frustrated, I have been called worse, LOL. What else can I say other than my experiences, I am not implying anything, I am saying what worked, yeah maybe 'this is the way' is a bit too much, sounds cool though.

I’m afraid I heard it said in the voice of the Mandalorian armorer and started giggling uncontrollably. If that’s cool...

I also took it as a Mandalorian reference.
  • jdbly3373
    jdbly3373 Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    nearspk640 wrote: »
    As title says I'm trying to lose 100 pounds right now I'm at 285 which is the heaviest I've been and its really got me down. I'm looking to go to the gym but I dont even know where to start any help would be appreciated

Could just start walking as far as you can or until tired. Youd need to get a handle on your diet too so could try to eat more balanced. Just making healthy changes where you feel motivated can help. I've lost over 100 lbs and thats kind of what is needed for change.