Home workout

Options
Hi,
I know I need to do weight training to keep my skin from sagging while I lose my weight, but I don’t know where to start. The gyms are closed due to COVID and all I have are dumbbells at home. What workouts/videos do you recommend to weight training.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,216 Member
    Options
    There are some bodyweight programs recommended in this thread, that can be done at home with minimal or no equipment, and some dumbbell programs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I'm not convinced strength training keeps skin from sagging (skin isn't a muscle), though it can help avoid unnecessary amounts of muscle loss while losing fat, which is part of the picture.

IMO, healthy skin is more likely to shrink. Obviously, we can't reverse our past, but going forward, I think it may help to think of skin as an organ, like any other organ in some ways. The things that keep other organs healthy will also tend to keep skin healthy, which means elastic and more willing to adjust. These include:

* avoiding fast loss (because it's a physical stress to lose fast),
    * getting good well-rounded nutrition (macros and micros, especially but not exclusively protein),
    * getting regular exercise (both cardiovascular and strength),
    * managing all-source life stress,
    * hydrating adequately (not crazy much, but enough),
    * avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol,
    * specific to skin, also avoiding tanning.

People will say all kinds of things about creams, dry-brushing, etc., but personally I'm inclined to thing those are mainly ways to pass the time while skin does pretty much what it was going to do anyway. Help a little? Maybe. Big help? I doubt it. But it can feel good to feel like we're doing *something*.

Age and genetics can matter, too, along with things like how much total weight has been lost, where the last bits of residual weight like to hang on (so conspire with gravity to keep skin stretched), maybe how many times weight has yo-yoed, etc.

My loose skin kept shrinking at least into year 2 of weight maintenance, so what is there at goal weight may not be the final outcome. (FWIW, I was 60 at the time, and my profile photo is from a few months after initial weight loss).

Best wishes!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are some bodyweight programs recommended in this thread, that can be done at home with minimal or no equipment, and some dumbbell programs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I'm not convinced strength training keeps skin from sagging (skin isn't a muscle), though it can help avoid unnecessary amounts of muscle loss while losing fat, which is part of the picture.

IMO, healthy skin is more likely to shrink. Obviously, we can't reverse our past, but going forward, I think it may help to think of skin as an organ, like any other organ in some ways. The things that keep other organs healthy will also tend to keep skin healthy, which means elastic and more willing to adjust. These include:

* avoiding fast loss (because it's a physical stress to lose fast),
    * getting good well-rounded nutrition (macros and micros, especially but not exclusively protein),
    * getting regular exercise (both cardiovascular and strength),
    * managing all-source life stress,
    * hydrating adequately (not crazy much, but enough),
    * avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol,
    * specific to skin, also avoiding tanning.

People will say all kinds of things about creams, dry-brushing, etc., but personally I'm inclined to thing those are mainly ways to pass the time while skin does pretty much what it was going to do anyway. Help a little? Maybe. Big help? I doubt it. But it can feel good to feel like we're doing *something*.

Age and genetics can matter, too, along with things like how much total weight has been lost, where the last bits of residual weight like to hang on (so conspire with gravity to keep skin stretched), maybe how many times weight has yo-yoed, etc.

My loose skin kept shrinking at least into year 2 of weight maintenance, so what is there at goal weight may not be the final outcome. (FWIW, I was 60 at the time, and my profile photo is from a few months after initial weight loss).

Best wishes!

Thank you for this, @AnnPT77 ...I am going to utilize this resource as well... I did not know this existed until now...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like Sydney Cummings on YouTube
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I only had dumbbells when I started. Body weight moves are also great!! I started with Jillian Michael's DVDs. I'm also a fan of Chalean Extreme (Beachbody on Demand would have her, but there's a subscription fee.)
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,222 Member
    Options
    I've been doing team body project workouts. They have some set programs which I find keeps me motivated. They have lots of variety and they're fun and I'm seeing results. Highly recommended them
  • Recinos0507
    Recinos0507 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I like having a variety I don’t want to get bored of my workout and not do it anymore.
  • Recinos0507
    Options
    Thank you Ann there are a lot of workout that I really could use.
  • Youngfrankenstein
    Options
    I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and do a weight lifting/HIIT program called LIIFT4. I have made huge changes to my body while trying to lose weight. I don't get bored because they film 8 weeks of "live" classes so each one is unique.
  • swiftgirlm
    swiftgirlm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Betina Gozo on the free NTC app (Nike Training center). Great workout programmes can be found there.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender lets you filter the videos by what equipment you have as well as what intensity and length you want
  • Recinos0507
    Options
    Thank you 🙏. Any advice on how to shrink a belly apron? I’ve had 4 kids all c-section so my apron is pretty big and very unattractive.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Thank you 🙏. Any advice on how to shrink a belly apron? I’ve had 4 kids all c-section so my apron is pretty big and very unattractive.

You can't spot reduce anyway, and the specific area you're asking about is mostly skin, not fat or muscle, so you really can't "target" it with either diet or exercise. Follow Ann's advice above about taking care of your skin, so as to maximize its ability to bounce back, but keep in mind that it will take a while for it to do that (like on the order of years, after you reach GW) and there is a limit to skin's elasticity.
  • Recinos0507
    Options
    Thanks, I know even with all that I do it won’t just all go away that I may have to get surgery for it to all go away. But I dnt like surgery so I’m going to do all I can to get it down as much as I can. Thank you for all the advice I really appreciate it.