Foods that surprised you

Options
2»

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Oh and conversely I realized that I hate chicken. I've eaten it periodically most of my life but attempting to make it a major player in my diet taught me really fast - I. Hate. Chicken.

Thank you for this! Haha the more I read about chicken the more I dislike it, too. Although I DO like rotisserie chicken every once in a while...
  • Hamiltonfamily2018
    Options
    Cooked bacon. Not nearly as calorific or fatty as I would have thought.

Right!?!? I looked at turkey bacon and thought “why in the world would I buy this?” Regular bacon is maybe 20-30 more calories and more protein, PLUS taste SO much better!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprises when I started using MFP were mostly the calories in a lot of drinks. I realized sugary soda had a lot of calories, and stopped drinking it many years earlier. But the calorie content of things like 2% milk (or any dairy milk), juice, and especially specialty coffees such as lattes/mochas...it was absolutely a mind blower for me. I've always been a very fast drinker so I was consuming sooooo many calories in liquid form and not even realizing it. Also, ice cream for me is a weird thing because I consider a small 1 topping sundae to be so much more "decadent" than a small milkshake and it's often 1/2 the calories. Crazy.

On the good side...pasta and rice aren't the crazy instant weight-gaining foods I thought they were, and are fine in moderation. Same with donuts. Of course I don't eat donuts regularly but to realize I can easily have 1-2 every month is really cool.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    How many calories are in milk. I used to go through a gallon of skim every couple of days.

That was one of the things I unexpectedly missed the most, even more than the baked goods and candy.

How little oomph you get for a 100 calorie granola bar- even if you eat the damn thing oat by oat by oat. To drag it out, ya know.....

Definitely agree about milk. I used to pour myself a huge mug to dunk 4 Oreos and was so concerned about the cookies I was eating, didn't give a thought to the (probably 2 servings!) of milk.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Lattes are my weakness!

I still like them occasionally, especially limited-time versions (a local shop did an orange pecan latte that was just amazing). But for the most part I've started drinking black coffee and then splurging on sweets like a cookie, scone or even donut alongside it for the same cals. Trade offs! Everyone's got their preferences.

On the opposite side, I have a friend who likes to use her calories on fries and will get a grilled chicken no bun & giant fry. I'm the one skipping the fries and enjoying a double hamburger on that same occasion.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Oh and conversely I realized that I hate chicken. I've eaten it periodically most of my life but attempting to make it a major player in my diet taught me really fast - I. Hate. Chicken.

Thank you for this! Haha the more I read about chicken the more I dislike it, too. Although I DO like rotisserie chicken every once in a while...

I love whole roasted chicken. Or even roasted skin on, bone in chicken breast. But I've never tried to make chicken something I ate all the time like I think some do when dieting, and I only do skinless boneless on rare occasion with other ingredients that make it delicious.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Simply baked cheetos! I bought some tonight and you get waaaay more then other ones yes still junk food but man sometimes you just want "normal" junk not protien laden goodies lol

LORD JESUS BLESS 💟
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How good beyond burgers actually tasted
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Cheetos Crunchit's are the devil's food... Specially the Jelapono flavor cause they are amazing.

Seriously, just a regular bag is 310 grams

And a "serving" = 50 grams @ 280 Calories per serving.

At 6.2 servings per bag thats a whopping 1736 Calories.... Don't even think about the big bag.

Evil I know thy name!

Edit: I always knew they weren't great to begin, with but how bad they are is what surprised me. Just 1 regular bag would equate to my entire day's calorie alotment.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in milk. I used to go through a gallon of skim every couple of days.

That was one of the things I unexpectedly missed the most, even more than the baked goods and candy.

How little oomph you get for a 100 calorie granola bar- even if you eat the damn thing oat by oat by oat. To drag it out, ya know.....

Same here with the skim milk. I would easily go through two gallons every week, Now I limit myself to 6-8 oz each day and 3 tablespoons of half & half as coffee creamer. There are times when I really want to drink a huge glass of cold milk but it would take up far too much of my daily calorie budget.

BTW - How does a thread like this manage to generate 'disagrees?' 🙄

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

I like chicken as an INGREDIENT - chicken /white chili, chicken and dumplings, chicken in soup - fine. A PIECE OF CHICKEN? Nope, I'm out. I never noticed before I tried to make it a thing for protein and low cals but just. No.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

I like chicken as an INGREDIENT - chicken /white chili, chicken and dumplings, chicken in soup - fine. A PIECE OF CHICKEN? Nope, I'm out. I never noticed before I tried to make it a thing for protein and low cals but just. No.

Hah you would think I am so strange then. I LOVE chicken and don't really like any other types of meat besides sandwich or ground turkey. I could eat a huge plain grilled chicken breast every day and crave it. It also surprised me how much I could eat for the calories and how filling and satisfying it is.
  • pancakerunner
    Options

Hah you would think I am so strange then. I LOVE chicken and don't really like any other types of meat besides sandwich or ground turkey. I could eat a huge plain grilled chicken breast every day and crave it. It also surprised me how much I could eat for the calories and how filling and satisfying it is.

GRILLED chicken I love... but baked in the oven, hard pass.

Grilled anything for that matter is great....
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Morning Star brand Chik'n Nuggets. They are vegan and yet, when baked, have this weirdly addicting flavor and crispiness that my highschool cafeterias real-chicken meat nuggets had. 😄😄 It's a pleasure food for me, because it is plant based and still has a sort of induldgent flavor profile I feel like it's a win-win. I'd like to note that I am not fully vegan, but I do eat a lot of vegan and vegetarian meals so I can reduce my animal meat consumption. The Morning Star nuggets do have a good amount of fat, but I'd expect that from any nugget, vegan or not. In general, I recommend Morning Star brands vegan meal selections!

Also, lean ground turkey meat for tacos, instead of beef. I dont digest beef well, and I have gotten so used to the taste of tacos using turkey meat, I can't tell the difference anymore. I also use ground turkey for chili, burgers, and even meat balls.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Oh. Oatmeal.

i remembered it has this terrible trial of warm wallpaper paste when I was a kid, but now? I eat the protein version, the calories aren't at all bad, it is not an awful texture, it is SUPER filling and it tastes good.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    something that surprised me (not in a good way) is that ONE cashew has about 12 calories. :/
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    something that surprised me (not in a good way) is that ONE cashew has about 12 calories. :/

A plain m&m only has 5.

TAKE THAT, DELICIOUS CASHEWS!!!!