Beating emotional eating

Any tips or tricks to deter emotional eating? I try to distract but I am highly addicted to food. I believe I have a terrible oral fixation and used to smoke cigs and vape. I quit that but now ill even drink too much liquid or water and get sick from that. Just any books breathing exercises whatever would help. I have quit alcohol 5 years ago and almost 2 months no nicotine. I know I can do this but with food you can't completely abstain and I struggle with moderation. If anyone with an addictive personality wants to connect add me.

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Take down a list of food triggers as you feel them or after you're out of your stupor.

Noom may be able to help with some of that.
  • saehami
    saehami Posts: 3 Member
    I've found chewing gum helps curb my cravings a bit and gives my mouth something to do other than eat snacks. I've also started using the app Sanvello for stress and meditation guidance - it's free for the basic functions, and you can get a free upgrade with most major health plans. Best of luck!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Find an alternative for the emotional eating: Feeling angry do a boxing class; stressed soak in the bath or go for a walk; lonely call a trusted friend or family member; bored do something that occupies the the mind and hands (jigsaw puzzle, knitting etc) etc etc.

Develop a list of different things to do for each of the emotions that cause you to emotionally eat, have a plan in place and ready to go for when you need it.
  • ClaireBri74
    ClaireBri74 Posts: 84 Member
    I post on here. I write a lot of rubbish but I write for me - it helps occupy my fingers so I cant eat.

I have not got any of my quick grabs in the house anymore. Sweets and crisps for other family members is only items I don't like so I then don't want them.

Pepsi max is one of my great grabs. That's in the loft. I have to get a ladder down to grab one.

All of these are ways to give me time and to work out the why and its helped me tons :)

I know I have a stressful week next week so I have pre made all my lunches which helps me loads.

Do I still want crap - ohh yes! But do I ? Normally no now.

good luck :)
  • Listen to cookie rosenblum’s podcast ‘weight loss made real’
    She’s very good. It’s all about emotional eating and habitual over eating
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Any tips or tricks to deter emotional eating? I try to distract but I am highly addicted to food. I believe I have a terrible oral fixation and used to smoke cigs and vape. I quit that but now ill even drink too much liquid or water and get sick from that. Just any books breathing exercises whatever would help. I have quit alcohol 5 years ago and almost 2 months no nicotine. I know I can do this but with food you can't completely abstain and I struggle with moderation. If anyone with an addictive personality wants to connect add me.
    When I quit smoking 17 years ago, I needed to "chew" on something to help. So I ended up being a celery eater. Low calories and I love crunchy stuff. Since it was low cal, I used a low cal dip with it too. Seemed to work for me because I didn't gain weight like a lot of people do when they quit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 60jazz
    60jazz Posts: 1 Member
    First of all, congratulations on stopping drinking and smoking!!! You are a rockstar!
    I too, used to smoke and drink and binge eat. I find that writing every day works, even if one page is all F words! I call it brain drain! Julia Cameron calls it morning pages from the book The Artist’s Way.
  • catgirl2289
    catgirl2289 Posts: 24 Member
    You guys are all fantastic! I didn't get all the notifications that so many people commented! If anyone wants to be mfp friends add me! I'll definitely use all your suggestions.
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    I am in the same boat as you. My 5 year alcohol sobriety day is coming up in July and in August it will be 2 years since I quit smoking... but let me tell you I am starting to try to get control of this overeating addiction that I seem to have replaced both of those vices with. I’m here if you’d like to add me!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    If you're a reader, "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink is really eye opening. It's not specific to emotional eating but certainly offers a lot of suggestion and reasoning for how we sometimes approach food.

The gum, zero calorie drinks and exercise are all suggestions I'd offer myself. Jotting notes for yourself when you're reaching for something to eat to battle an emotion may help you dive into the source of these cravings.

Regardless of what you choose, good luck. It's certainly a tough battle, but seeking help and guidance here is certainly a step in the right direction.
  • catgirl2289
    I bought a dbt solution to binge eating book so I've started that
  • catgirl2289
    Yesterday I ate a whole bag of rice cakes a whole bag of pita crackers. Its like an intense feeling compulsive thing. Sometimes I get an over powering urge for fast food too. I'll try some of the things you guys suggested
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Yesterday I ate a whole bag of rice cakes a whole bag of pita crackers. Its like an intense feeling compulsive thing. Sometimes I get an over powering urge for fast food too. I'll try some of the things you guys suggested
    Don't carry the bag with you. Count out a serving amount, put it on a plate. Remind yourself this is all you're going to eat. Then put the bag away. The discipline here is that it's so easy to mindlessly eat till everything is gone when in reality YOU DON'T NEED to finish it all.
    Once you're done eating, congratulate yourself for having self control. Relax and let whatever you consumed be enjoyed and revel in your success. Positive feedback to yourself does wonders.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• abbagirl23
    abbagirl23 Posts: 1 Member
    I bought a dbt solution to binge eating book so I've started that

Has it been helpful? I need to figure out my brain and how to change the decisions I make.