Who else loves Cabbage ... Great low calorie option

Options
2ul4uilq82r3.jpeg

Pan searing a head of Cabbage with some lean ground beef... One of my favorite meals😄

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I make soup with it a lot, and recently made sauerkraut. My favorite is asian inspired stir fry or inside out egg roll.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Big fan here! I love cabbage in a stir-fry and in an egg frittata. It can be a bit of a calorie splurge - but nothing beats haluski for comfort food. I sneak in a little butter powder and cut down on the traditional butter amount. So good!

I've never made sauerkraut from scratch, but love that as well.
  • DonnasWay0805
    DonnasWay0805 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to use white cabbage as a rice substitute with things like chilli or curry. I’ve been doing this since my early 20’s - almost 40 years before things like cauliflower rice became ‘a thing’ 😂

Lightly steamed us how I like it. Lemon juice in the water and loads of black pepper.

Also have been known to eat a plate full of cabbage for dinner, with HP sauce!

Yes it makes a great substitute and I knew I wasn’t the only one..lol.. I cook cabbage a lot 😄
  • DonnasWay0805
    Options
    I make soup with it a lot, and recently made sauerkraut. My favorite is asian inspired stir fry or inside out egg roll.

Is that the same as egg roll in a bowl? ..I love that too
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    ^probably
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I also adore cabbage. I recently did something similar--sauteed red cabbage and onions with ground beef, and it was super tasty.
  • DonnasWay0805
    Options
    I just made a super simple pot of soup. 2 savoy cabbages about 1.5kg worth. 2 big leeks, 2 carrots and 3 sticks of celery. Filled it up with water and put in 4 veg stock cubes.

Ive portioned that out into 6 good size bowls, and it's tasty enough. But surprisingly, even though I've only had one or 2 bowls of it per day, it's staving off my hunger, so I'm consuming only about 150 to 300Cal per day just now. Normally I consume 2500 to 3000Cal.

Is this something specific to cabbage soup, or is it maybe just partly psychological?

I have made the cabbage soup too.. it's a great low cal option.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I love it raw too. Put it in salads a lot. Sometimes I snack on a wedge. A lot of chewing satisfaction with low calorie. I make cabbage soup too, that it’s low calorie is just a bonus. It’s filling and tasty.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Definitely versatile. You’ve inspired me to find more cabbage recipes. Of course .. if Brussels sprouts count as wee cabbages .. They are old friends 😉
  • DonnasWay0805
    Options
    Definitely versatile. You’ve inspired me to find more cabbage recipes. Of course .. if Brussels sprouts count as wee cabbages .. They are old friends 😉

I love brussel sprouts too... Just little cabbages..🤣🤣
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmm. Cabbage. (think homer simpson).

I love it... Made a great low carb Cabbage lasagna over the weekend. And tonight were having a cabbage and sausage dish. Even just a thick slice, roasted with butter and garlic in the oven is nice from time to time.

(and hell yeah to brussel sprouts.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I'm occasionally in the mood, but growing up was cabbage everything since we were pretty poor and cabbage is a dirt cheap veg. Like I'm pretty sure I had cabbage with dinner pretty much every night of my life until I moved out...bit of an exaggeration, but not much...my mom put cabbage in everything. I took a good couple of decades off in my 20s and 30s. I typically only like it in small quantities...like a garnish on fish tacos or in things like egg rolls.

My wife made some kind of cabbage soup a few weeks ago...it was ok, but all I could really think was, "oh *kitten*...I'm 10 years old again." I do love brussel sprouts.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage and my brussel sprouts. It is in my top 3 vegetables with squash. Asparagus gets honorable mention.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to love it. Been enjoying cabbage soups for years. Just recently discovered 'cabbage pie' which has turned it into a breakfast option, it reminds me of hashbrowns.

https://youtu.be/UP9CjIHBXYk
  • avtlove
    avtlove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My hubs makes a homemade coleslaw that is so delicious. It's got mayo so you gotta be careful with calories, but I could easily eat a huge bowl of it.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Cabbage lover here too! I'm a recent convert, having only tried it for the first time last year. Since then I've become obsessed over the past few months. I eat it for dinner almost every other night. My favorite way to make it is as stir fry with green beans, broccoli or carrots. Good stuff!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I eat napa cabbage almost every day either raw (I love to mix it with other greens like spinach, kale, and lettuce in salads and slaws) or cooked (mixed veggies steamed or stir-fried in a non-stick skillet is a mainstay of my diet).

I prefer napa over most European-origin cabbages because I find it doesn't have nearly the sulferiness that some head cabbages do. I also like that it has a dense "crunchy" bit near the core, but a softer "leafier" bit near the top--so it's like two veggies in one.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Here's my latest soup featuring cabbage:
    62f0wf3puh76.jpg
  • DonnasWay0805
    Options
    Here's my latest soup featuring cabbage:
    62f0wf3puh76.jpg

That looks delicious😄