Protein...when to eat it.

I've noticed that I tend to go over in Protein every day. I've been trying to cut back, as I do eat meat at almost every meal. So when is the best time to eat Protein? I have heard in the morning, I work out after work in the evenings before dinner. Any input would be appreciated!

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    I eat it at every meal and don't worry if I go over what is listed in the food diary. And yes, you should eat it at every meal since it slows the digestion of carbs making the meal last longer...so to speak.
  • ddb2222
    ddb2222 Posts: 9 Member
    I've heard that Protein is for repairing the body and that the best time is after workouts or at dinner.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    MFP's protein recommendations are pretty low. Make sure you're eating at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies each day, and otherwise don't worry about going over on your protein.
  • I go over as well, but I don't really sweat it. The number I pay most attention to is carbs. I make sure they are under 209 per day as per my Doctor's orders and everything else falls into place. Protein is great cuz it is the lowest in carbs, so it's better to be high in that rather than the carbs...good luck!!!
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Muscle Build
    What do you need protein for? How much protein do you need? Are high protein intakes safe for your kidneys? What are the best sources of protein? This post will answer any question you might have about protein.

Why Do You Need Protein? Proteins are building blocks. Muscle, skin, hair, ... They're all made of protein. Benefits of reaching your daily protein needs:
    • Build Muscle. Since you need protein to build muscle, eating enough protein will ensure your body has what it needs to build new one.
    • Maintain Muscle. Getting your body the protein it needs will improve muscle recovery and prevent muscle breakdown from exercising.
    • Fat Loss. Protein has the highest thermic effect: your body burns more calories digesting proteins than carbs or fat. Protein also satiates: you feel full longer after eating a protein-rich meal. Both help fat loss.

How Much Protein Do You Need? The United States RDA is 0.8g/kg or 0.4g/lbs. This is 80g protein per day if you weigh 200lbs. But this recommendation is based on studies done on average, sedentary people.
    The minimum if you train hard is 1g protein per pound of body-weight per day. That's 200g daily protein if you weigh 200lbs. You'll reach this amount easily by eating a whole protein source with each meal.

Protein Myths. Here's some urban legend on protein that you'll hear in gyms and probably also from friends, colleagues & crabs.
    • Protein Is Bad for Your Kidneys. There's no data suggesting that high protein intakes cause the onset of kidney dysfunctions in healthy adults. There aren't even correlational studies. Try to find them.
    • Protein Causes Weight Gain. Increasing your protein intake or drinking whey shakes won't make you gain weight unless you increase your daily calorie intake. Read how to gain weight for skinny guys.
    • You Can Digest Max 30g Protein/Meal. Your body can digest & absorb pretty much anything you give it. Read the post how much protein can you absorb per meal for more info.

Best Sources of Protein. Vary your protein sources so you get the full range of amino acids. Here are some of the best & most popular sources of protein which also have been a staple of my diet for years.
    • Red Meat. Steaks & ground round. Top round, sirloin.
    • Poultry. Chicken breast, ground turkey, whole chicken.
    • Fish. Canned tuna, mackerel, salmon.
    • Dairy. Milk, cottage cheese, plain low fat yogurt, quark cheese, whey.
    • Eggs. Whole eggs, scrambled eggs. Don't worry about cholesterol.
    • Nuts. Walnuts, almonds, cashew, pistachio
    Read also cheap sources of protein & protein sources for vegetarians & vegans.

Example Diet. Here's an example diet that will provide you with 200g protein. Again: eat a whole protein source with each meal and you'll reach your daily protein requirement easily. This diet fits the 8 nutrition rules.
    • Breakfast. 3 whole eggs, veggies, orange, green tea.
    • Snack. 100g Plain fat free yogurt, 1 scoop whey, apple.
    • Lunch. 1 Can of tuna, roman lettuce, olive oil.
    • Snack. 100g Mixed nuts, peer.
    • Post Workout Shake. 1 Scoop whey, 300ml milk, oats, banana.
    • Dinner. 150g Chicken breast, spinach, baby carrots.
    • Pre bed. 200g Cottage cheese, berries, flax seeds, fish oil.
    Protein is acidic. Eat plenty of veggies, ideally with each meal, to combat acidity. This prevents muscle & bone loss. The most alkaline food is spinach.
    Please click on the "like" button below to share this post with your facebook friends.
    How much protein do you need
    Common Sense Protein FAQ
    Get Answers To Your Most Frequently-Asked Questions About Protein
    By Nick Nilsson
    Fitness-ebooks.com
    How much protein do you need? How much protein can your body absorb at once? Will excess protein make you fat? Learn these answers and more!
    Protein: it's the nutrient that is most commonly associated with weight training, yet it's also one of the most misunderstood! When it comes right down to it, when you train with weights, your body NEEDS protein.
    But when it comes to using protein (both in supplement form and in food), there is a lot of confusion. In this FAQ, you're going to get common sense answers to some of the most controversial questions that people have about protein.
    QUESTION #1:
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    I had read that increasing protein in your meals helps keep you full longer. I've done that with my lunch and it seems to work for me. But I also make sure I have good snacks available so I'm not tempted to go to the vending machine. Eating some protein (e.g. peanut butter on bread, yogurt,) after a work out is also very good to help your body recover.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    there is no best time to eat it, although around your workout may be beneficial. don't worry about going over, you should aim to get a min of 1g of pro per lb of lbm
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Muscle helps to burn Fat. Better to have too much protein then not enough . I always drink a shake within 30 minutes of workout. If cardio I do a shake with out milk
    If weight training - shake with milk--Extra Carbs
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    bump
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    I usually eat over my alloted protein.

The best time to eat it for the best use is 30 minutes to 2 hours after a work out.
  • keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    As long as you are eating lean proteins, I wouldn't worry about how much or when you eat them.

IMHO, you are much better off going over in protein every day than going over on carbs or fats.

A low carb, low fat, high protein, high fiber diet in fact will help you burn fat.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Protien is good anytime of the day but if you mean as extra and not your main meals it's best to eat protine 30 min to an hour before a workout for best results.
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    I've noticed that I tend to go over in Protein every day. I've been trying to cut back, as I do eat meat at almost every meal. So when is the best time to eat Protein? I have heard in the morning, I work out after work in the evenings before dinner. Any input would be appreciated!

Breakfast and post/pre workout meals is the most important time for having proteins but you can balance/include all the other meals with proteins.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    You should have all three macros. with EVERY MEAL.