Set point

I’ve just been hearing and reading about it. How can it be true when people are losing weight and keeping it off. If it is true and only weight loss surgery can change your set point than I guess we need to have weight loss surgery or just give up

Replies

• chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Funny
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    If set point was a thing then I'd not gain weight because I really wanted to eat a pack of crisps or liquorice each evening, but because my body made me do it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited February 2021
    Did someone ask about set point theory? I think fat point therapy would be better. Lol
    Anyways, this is such a large freaking topic to discuss. The brain effects our adiposity, but habit can help dictate weight. We know the brain is central for weight homeostasis because you can give people drugs or make lesions on the brain and effect energy intake. Leptin is most likely the culprit as the key hormone that drives long term appetite. What's odd is obese people have loads of leptin. I think there is a leptin point on the hypothalamus that regulates our appetites, but environment over rides our natural satiety centers. Make a rat obese on an american diet and the.n switch it to a more "natural" diet and they lose most of the excess adipose tissue, but not all? Why? Hmmmm...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I am somewhat convinced by the idea that one can become leptin resistant too. Exercise is one of the things that is theorized to help increase leptin sensitivity.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Leptin resistance and insulin resistance explain a lot about why some people's cells take up the hormones streaming in their bloodstreams while other people's cells do not, despite an abundance present. I'm not familiar with the rat study you cite, but once someone develops hormone resistance, it can have a lasting impact.

Separately, is there a reason there seem to be an increasing number of threads on this topic lately? Is "set point" back in the news or something? This idea has been around for decades but has never to my knowledge garnered evidence to support it.
  • psychod787
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Leptin resistance and insulin resistance explain a lot about why some people's cells take up the hormones streaming in their bloodstreams while other people's cells do not, despite an abundance present. I'm not familiar with the rat study you cite, but once someone develops hormone resistance, it can have a lasting impact.

Separately, is there a reason there seem to be an increasing number of threads on this topic lately? Is "set point" back in the news or something? This idea has been around for decades but has never to my knowledge garnered evidence to support it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19401758/

Note, that the control rats and the post obese rats were eating nearly the same calories on the ad lib diet, but the post obese rats maintained 40% more body fat than the never obese controls. Why? Leptin resistance maybe? We know that leptin also helps control how much energy we burn.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Can someone tell me what "set point" is?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

Note, that the control rats and the post obese rats were eating nearly the same calories on the ad lib diet, but the post obese rats maintained 40% more body fat than the never obese controls. Why? Leptin resistance maybe? We know that leptin also helps control how much energy we burn.
    What's NOT said though is the actual activity level of the groups. Like people, leaner people have a tendency to be more physically active so even if they were eating the same amount of calories, were they burning off also a higher rate than the obese group?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited February 2021
    Oops wrong post... sorry.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    yeah, I don't believe hormone resistance is set in stone. I think the body wants homeostasis and at a healthy weight leptin and insulin resistance are not going to remain unless there's some underlying other pathology.

Maybe the leptin "resistance" takes a few months to balance out - that makes sense. It's a huge stress on the body to lose a lot of weight and there's likely a correlation between cortisol and leptin/insulin. Why wouldn't there be?

I'm with ninerbuff on that rat study.
  • psychod787
    ninerbuff wrote: »

What's NOT said though is the actual activity level of the groups. Like people, leaner people have a tendency to be more physically active so even if they were eating the same amount of calories, were they burning off also a higher rate than the obese group?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sorry, should have posted the full text. It was noted at the end of the study, energy expenditure in the post obese animals was in line with the controls.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2670508/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sorry, should have posted the full text. It was noted at the end of the study, energy expenditure in the post obese animals was in line with the controls.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2670508/
    But is the energy expenditure by percentage to body weight or did the rats do the same exact physical expenditure?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    I really dislike mouse studies and spending my time reading them - but this one fed them for only 12 weeks for that experiment and used that data.

I really think it took me about a year post weight-loss to reach my (now) maintenance calorie number. Prior to that one year time frame, I had to eat quite a bit less to maintain. I was eating at Myfitnesspal's recommended maintenance calories, I was super hungry and I had to stick there or gain. It was pretty miserable that first year. I probably would have had less discomfort but I lost about 70 pounds in a year. That big leap likely didn't give my hormones time to catch up/balance. That's just my guess based on my experience. Plus...mice.

After the year, I was able to raise my calories, and again about a year and a half later.

I now eat a good 500-700 calories per day to maintain my weight above what I ate at the end of my weight loss. My exercise and daily activity level is very nearly the same. It's been 12-13 years and I maintain on a lot higher calories than MFP suggests.

12 weeks just doesn't feel long enough to me...based on my N=1 experience.
    Given that it takes MONTHS just to change your body in general, I agree.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png