Options
2»

Replies

• wally2wiki
    wally2wiki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    You should focus on calories alone- forget about counting carbs. I lost 8lbs my first week on mfp by eating more carbs and just focusing on calories; and this was way more progress than my low carb diet.

Junk food doesn't matter either, calories in versus calories out. Have you heard about the famous twinkie diet? It works!

Yes but OP has type 2 diabetes and most diabetics I know have to monitor carbs. Also, most of that 8 lbs you lost was water.

No it wasn't water. How do you know? Did you measure me? Obese people can lose huge amounts of fat at a time. 1-2lbs per week only relates to average size people.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    So nice for you to come back and update us on your progress. You have done well losing 50lbs is no mean feat.

Cheers, h.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic here. You should almost certainly NOT be eating at MFPs default macro settings. Change the setting to give yourself more protein and fewer carbs. Exactly how many carbs you need should be determined by your a1c and your blood glucose readings after meals, not by a program designed for people without diabetes. In my own case I do well on about 45g net carbs per meal. That goes up somewhat when I have recently exercised, but it has nothing to do with how many calories I am eating - when I eat at deficit versus maintaining it does not change how many carbs I can tolerate without a blood sugar spike.

Your tolerance for carbs may be higher or lower, but you should really be counting per meal, not per day, since a diabetic can only metabolize a limited number of carbs in a certain timeframe.

Edit: whoops, did not realize this was an old thread. Still, in case any other diabetics are reading this thread, the default MFP macros are not a good idea for diabetics.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Thanks all, I've lost fifty pounds counting carbs (less than 130gr carbs/day, so it's hardly ketogenic) thus far. Down over two pant sizes and don't like eating carbs that much any longer, but do. My stomach just doesn't like being full anylonger.

50 pounds is an awesome journey to better! Congratulations!