Hours of cardio

Options
I was curious is it ok to do 2+ hours of cardio a day.

I goto the gym 5-6 days a week, usually spend 1.5 hours on elliptical, 30 minutes stair master and sometimes hour class of Zumba and will lower elliptical.

I have a ton of energy lol maybe die to adhd I’m always energetic.

Replies

• JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Is it OK ? Depends on the intensity and how much you are eating.

Is it ideal ? No.

A more balanced approach would be reducing the length of those sessions to maybe 1 hour total and swapping out at least 2 of those days with strength training.

When you build a workout schedule you should consider sustainability of that schedule. Don't treat it like a 'biggest loser' competition, treat it like a permanent lifestyle change.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Though I would like to get more advice with weight training, I do strength Training four days a week working out all the major muscles

Chest and triceps Monday
    back and biceps Tuesday
    shoulders and core Thursday
    legs Friday

Honestly I like going to the gym and enjoy spending hours because in the warmer months I own a landscaping business and physically work outside 8 to 10 hours a day. I usually walk about 15-25,000 steps those days so i drop my sessions down to about 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    Is it OK ? Depends on the intensity and how much you are eating.

Is it ideal ? No.

A more balanced approach would be reducing the length of those sessions to maybe 1 hour total and swapping out at least 2 of those days with strength training.

When you build a workout schedule you should consider sustainability of that schedule. Don't treat it like a 'biggest loser' competition, treat it like a permanent lifestyle change.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Though I would like to get more advice with weight training, I do strength Training four days a week working out all the major muscles

Chest and triceps Monday
    back and biceps Tuesday
    shoulders and core Thursday
    legs Friday

Honestly I like going to the gym and enjoy spending hours because in the warmer months I own a landscaping business and physically work outside 8 to 10 hours a day. I usually walk about 15-25,000 steps those days so i drop my sessions down to about 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights

Ok, that is all good context to know :)

Yes, if you get 8-10 hours of physical work per day during the warmer months, then 2+ hours of cardio during the winter is definitely not too much and probably a good thing to help keep you in shape for your work season.

Normally each spring when I start gardening my hamstrings hurt so much - am trying to do more yoga that stretches these in order to prevent that for this upcoming season.