covid kicked me hard.when will this end?

riffraff2112
riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
edited February 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Almost exactly a month ago, I contracted COVID (most likely from school where I am an educator) and it hit me pretty hard. I had no underlying health issues but I was pretty much confined to bed/couch for 3 full weeks. Lots of symptoms came and went...full body ache, feeling cold and shivering, lack of appetite, always tired, headache non-stop. Toward the end of week two, I started coughing and my chest felt tight.
Glad to say I am almost back to normal, still have a hard time catching my breath, especially after climbing a flight of stairs etc. That is totally not like me and I am wondering if anyone has recovered from COVID and can let me know if they went through something similar. Is this something that is gonna drag on for months/years? I really want to start exercising again but I just can't do it yet.

Replies

• Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,167 Member
    Hope you feel better soon. Be kind to yourself and let yourself heal
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I"m so sorry you're experiencing this.

I haven't had COVID personally, and my younger brother (who works full-time in retail) is the only one in my immediate family who has (that we know of). I have read, though, that there is kind of "post-COVID syndrome," where people who've had it have lingering effects: shortness of breath, fatigue and continued loss of sense of taste and smell are the ones I think that are more prominent. So unfortunately, I think you aren't alone. I know my brother, who only had severe symptoms for a few days, had some shortness of breath after he got better.

I think it's individual as to when you'll fully recovery, but I agree to listen to your body and not try to push yourself to get there before its ready.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    It took me a month before I didn't notice losing my breath over prior trivial activities. After 8 months, I notice no after effects. Just keep it steady and allow yourself time to heal.
  • nataliepate25
    nataliepate25 Posts: 12 Member
    I understood your feelings. I had COVID-19 but now I am safe and fit. Try to do exercise in which you are comfortable like stretching exercise. You can also do these on your bed if you want. By these you will feel energetic and have the guts to beat this.
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    As you said, "keep trying to take baby steps." Here's to a full recovery! My sister had covid and her adult daughter but after a month they seem to have their appetite back and progressing energy.