What are the best barbell exercises ?

1 workout from each main body group . i love weightlifting but my routines are getting a little boring and too easy .

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    What are the best exercises? The ones you'll do with the bar and plates you have.

Scientifically? Perhaps take a look at the SuppVersity series. Here's part of it (pec-focused)...

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/07/suppversity-emg-series-musculus.html

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Best how? If your routine is getting too easy, you aren't progressing in weight...add weight.

In general, compound movements...squats, deadlifts, cleans, bench press, OH Press. I suppose you could throw in rows as well, though I prefer dumbbell 3 point rows. They might be boring, but they are the foundation of pretty much any good weight training program.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    In general, I think you should pick ones where you lift the weights. The exercise of ignoring them doesn't work that well.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Squat Bench Deadlift OHP Rows Hip Thrusts Lunges...that's all the barbell exercises I can think of right now. Oh Landmine Press, that is my new favorite.
    There's a powerlifting program called: Big But Boring. Sometimes boring is a good thing.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    SQT, DL, BP & OHP.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    "1 workout from each main body group"
    Do you mean muscle groups? As in working both push and pull movements?

Describing your current workout and your goals would help enormously. "Best" isn't universal.
    "Boring" isn't universal either, different people have different tolerances to training for results or training for enjoyment.

If it's getting easy then you don't have a good method to progress as to paraphrase Greg LeMond - it never gets easier, you just lift more.

• Larcyzoe
    Larcyzoe Posts: 24 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Best how? If your routine is getting too easy, you aren't progressing in weight...add weight.

In general, compound movements...squats, deadlifts, cleans, bench press, OH Press. I suppose you could throw in rows as well, though I prefer dumbbell 3 point rows. They might be boring, but they are the foundation of pretty much any good weight training program.

I do all of theses now , im only lifting 50 lbs right now , im adding weight as it gets easier .. I just thought i could find 3 main workouts that work each area of the body to create a 3 10×10 plans . they do get boring sometimes ..i have about 120lbs of weight caps that im eventually going to work up too.
  • Larcyzoe
    Squat Bench Deadlift OHP Rows Hip Thrusts Lunges...that's all the barbell exercises I can think of right now. Oh Landmine Press, that is my new favorite.
    There's a powerlifting program called: Big But Boring. Sometimes boring is a good thing.

I definately will check them out , thanks much 👍
  • Larcyzoe
    sijomial wrote: »
    "1 workout from each main body group"
    Do you mean muscle groups? As in working both push and pull movements?

Describing your current workout and your goals would help enormously. "Best" isn't universal.
    "Boring" isn't universal either, different people have different tolerances to training for results or training for enjoyment.

If it's getting easy then you don't have a good method to progress as to paraphrase Greg LeMond - it never gets easier, you just lift more.

Yes exactly what i meant . each muscle group . my goals are to get to 10% body fat . im actually at 153 lbs with 28% body fat and 32% muscle . i do all your regular variations . my problem may be that i have not yet challenged myself out of fear of hurting myself with poor posture .
  • Larcyzoe
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    SQT, DL, BP & OHP.

Love it 👍
  • Larcyzoe
    That is very insightful .thank you .
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    A female bodybuilder may be stage-ready at 10% bodyfat. It's not even remotely sustainable from a health perspective. You have essential levels of bodyfat & going to low wreaks havoc on your hormones. Google "female athlete triad" to get a flavor for just a few of the adverse results you'll be looking at if you push your bodyfat that low for any length of time.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I got down to about 19% bf...and it was horrible. Lower body fat and calorie/carb restriction really negatively impacted my lifts. If you don't have a reason to be that low (such as a competition), there isn't really any other reason to be that low other than just chasing a number.
  • Larcyzoe
    Thats a lot of good information . thank you all .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    here's a female at about 10%. Look at her glutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGDU3uzQWys

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2021
    By "best" I might assume you mean most widely used for training on average. Exercise selection is dependant on the individual's goals, preference, response, and programming as a whole.

Some barbell lifts that are popular off the top of my head are...

Back squat
    Safetybar squat
    Split squat
    Step up
    Lunges
    Front squat
    Squat with bands
    Pause squat
    Tempo squat
    Box squat
    Bench press
    Pause BP
    Close grip BP
    Wide grip BP
    Slingshot BP
    Board BP
    Banded BP
    Floor press
    Overhead Press
    Cleans
    Seated Overhead press
    Landmines press
    Conventional deadlift
    SUMO deadlift
    Pause deadlift
    Deficit deadlift
    Wagon wheel deadlift
    Rack pulls
    Romanian deadlift
    Stiffleg deadlift
    Banded deadlift
    Deadlift with chains
    Bent over rows
    Pendlay rows
    One arm rows
    Good mornings
    Seated good morning
    Arm curls
    Hip thrusts
    Bridges

Many of these lifts and variations can be included in a well written program.

If your current programming is too easy as you state, I might first look on how your stimulus is dosed as well.

Good luck.

• Larcyzoe
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    here's a female at about 10%. Look at her glutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGDU3uzQWys

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Ohh no .. I was unaware of what 10 % looked like . i guess im just looking to be firm with more muscle than fat.
  • Larcyzoe
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    By "best" I might assume you mean most widely used for training on average. Exercise selection is dependant on the individual's goals, preference, response, and programming as a whole.

Some barbell lifts that are popular off the top of my head are...

Back squat
    Safetybar squat
    Split squat
    Step up
    Lunges
    Front squat
    Squat with bands
    Pause squat
    Tempo squat
    Box squat
    Bench press
    Pause BP
    Close grip BP
    Wide grip BP
    Slingshot BP
    Board BP
    Banded BP
    Floor press
    Overhead Press
    Cleans
    Seated Overhead press
    Landmines press
    Conventional deadlift
    SUMO deadlift
    Pause deadlift
    Deficit deadlift
    Wagon wheel deadlift
    Rack pulls
    Romanian deadlift
    Stiffleg deadlift
    Banded deadlift
    Deadlift with chains
    Bent over rows
    Pendlay rows
    One arm rows
    Good mornings
    Seated good morning
    Arm curls
    Hip thrusts
    Bridges

Many of these lifts and variations can be included in a well written program.

If your current programming is too easy as you state, I might first look on how your stimulus is dosed as well.

Good luck.

Thank you much . some of these are new to me , ill definitely have to look up proper positioning on some .👍
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    SQT, DL, BP & OHP.

These and power cleans