Overweight and undermuscled!

Howdy folks, I’m brand new to MFP and, at the ripe age of 51, trying to trim down and most importantly build some strength. I’m an artist and unfortunately spend most of my work hours sitting at my computer. I eat a very clean diet, consisting of mostly fruit and veggies, with plant-based high protein food, chicken stock, eggs and the occasional piece of chicken or salmon. I’m a little confused about the caloric goal here. Somehow the app seems to be aiming for almost 1900 calories per day. I end up adding a protein shake to my snack or after a meal. Also, my goal is 40/20/40 Carbs/fats/protein and I find I am always low on the protein. I had first started out trying a competitor’s app, which was easy on the eyes but insanely hard on the wallet. I think MGP is superior in all ways, but that previous app had a caloric goal of 1400, which was easily attainable on my diet. I literally seem to be adding protein meal drinks once or twice a day to keep up with the calories here. Is that normal? Anyway, as well, I’m seeing weight fluctuations of almost 2 pounds, down and up within my first week. Is that normal? I’m definitely also limiting salt intake and am keeping to a goal of 64 oz of water per day. What am I doing wrong? I’m walking an hour a day, when possible, doing an HIIT workout program every day. Generally my body feels nicely sore and energized, which is lovely. I just want to make sure I understand and have the correct caloric goal.,,

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The calorie goal comes from your inputs -- your current rate, your goals (to lose, gain, or maintain), your goal rate of change, and your activity level. 1,900 may be a reasonable goal for where you're at or you may have made an input that puts the goal higher than where it should otherwise be. It's hard to tell without knowing where you're at or what your goals are.

If you're eating fruit, vegetables, plant-based protein rich foods, eggs, stock, eggs, and meat, you shouldn't have any issues getting to 1,900 calories a day. If you want to increase calories without protein shakes, many people find that adding a few higher fat foods to their diet helps without feeling like they're increasing the volume of their meals uncomfortably. Things like nuts, avocado, plant oils (or animal fats, if you prefer) all have a fair amount of calories for their volume.

I don't see any evidence that you're doing anything "wrong." If you're working out until you're sore, that's a sign that your muscles are retaining some water to help you repair (which is good and natural). If you're doing true HIIT, it shouldn't be taking place every day (although there are tons of faux HIIT programs now that are perfectly fine to do daily for those who feel up to it).
  • MissBraeBee
    MissBraeBee Posts: 40 Member
    Weight fluctuation is totally normal! Could be water retention, could be muscle. I would suggest to add more protein thought, it will help you build muscles and give you the energy for your workouts, same this for the carbs, they are a fuel as well. Are you in calorie deficit? The calorie goal shown on the app is if you want to maintain your weight, a good calorie intake for you would be perhaps at 1300, give or take.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2021
    Weight fluctuation is totally normal! Could be water retention, could be muscle. I would suggest to add more protein thought, it will help you build muscles and give you the energy for your workouts, same this for the carbs, they are a fuel as well. Are you in calorie deficit? The calorie goal shown on the app is if you want to maintain your weight, a good calorie intake for you would be perhaps at 1300, give or take.

Actually, the calorie goal on the app can be to lose, maintain, or gain -- it will depend on what the user puts as their goal. We don't know enough to conclude that OP set their account up to maintain.
  • MissBraeBee

Actually, the calorie goal on the app can be to lose, maintain, or gain -- it will depend on what the user puts as their goal. We don't know enough to conclude that OP set their account up to maintain.

True, thats just how I understood it! My calorie intake suggested on MFP is 2290 and I usually am 500 under that, thats why I said that :)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

True, thats just how I understood it! My calorie intake suggested on MFP is 2290 and I usually am 500 under that, thats why I said that :)

Here's how your goal is set.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2021
    "Somehow the app seems to be aiming for almost 1900 calories per day."
    Not really somehow, by the choices you made in your goal set up combined with your current stats.

"I end up adding a protein shake to my snack or after a meal."
    You don't have to balance macros every meal.

"but that previous app had a caloric goal of 1400"
    You got that by the selections you made on that app which probably has different definitions and methods to this one.

"I literally seem to be adding protein meal drinks once or twice a day to keep up with the calories here. Is that normal?"
    Most people who need to lose weight need to cut their recent food intake rather than make deliberate efforts to boost it - no, not normal.

"Anyway, as well, I’m seeing weight fluctuations of almost 2 pounds, down and up within my first week. Is that normal?"
    Are weight fluctuations normal for you? (They are for me.)
    Are they also normal for you when you have just changed both your diet and exercise - I'd gamble that is entirely normal and expected.

"What am I doing wrong?"
    Probably you haven't completed your goal set up correctly.
    Maybe read the link above or ask more questions about specifics?
    Impatience is another thing. You need much more data in a stable situation to see trends.

"I’m walking an hour a day, when possible, doing an HIIT workout program every day"
    HIIT (if that actually means close to maximal effort cardio intervals) would most likely be a poor choice but my suspicion is that what you are calling HIIT probably isn't. Can you describe what you actually do?

• MissBraeBee
    sijomial wrote: »

Here's how your goal is set.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

Thank you, appreciate it!