Jog/running

I want to learn how to jog or run I can bearly jog a whole minute atm if that. I want to be one of those people you see just jogging about, but I don't feel like I can do it or ever be able to do it. Can anyone learn how to run? And I feel embarrassed even trying, I feel people will think "haha look at her that fatty can bearly run 2 steps without stopping". I also hear running is a really good way to burn calories. How long will it take for me to learn to run 2 miles non stop? TIA

Replies

• jenlarkin2770
    jenlarkin2770 Posts: 1 Member
    First of all I think that most (rational) people would admire someone out there running, walking, trying to run...you are doing better than 75% of adults who don't exercise at all, so give yourself some credit! I ran overweight for many years, and believe me when I tell you it is a LOT harder than running at a lower weight, so when I see overweight folks running I know they are working very hard and have great admiration for them! For me the best place to start was a phone app called Couch to 5K, which builds up your endurance slowly, at your own pace (you can repeat weeks if you feel you need to). It took me a while to work up to 2 miles non-stop, and there are those who believe it's actually better for your body to do run-walk intervals forever (check out the Galloway method). Good luck, I have a love-hate relationship with running but I keep doing it so I must love it more than I hate it! :D
  • ninasnonsense
    ninasnonsense Posts: 39 Member
    I would definitely recommend doing something structured designed by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm on my 4th attempt now and every other time I've hurt my leg after a few weeks with very little to show for it.

This time I'm using Zombies, Run! 5k and I've gone from barely being able to run for 30 seconds to being able to run for 15 minutes without a break in 5 weeks. No sign of injury for once and the ache I already had in my knee cleared up after week 3. And it has a fun storyline to keep you coming back.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Jog/running is so much fun! I started while very overweight, with a program similar to couch-to-5k (it started more slowly but built to a longer end run). I actually did each of the first 8 weeks of the program twice before I'd move on to the next, first time to basically not die, second time to focus on form. Now I regularly run for over 2 hours at a time (and its been less than a year). Take your time, there's nothing wrong with repeating a week before taking on the next, or skipping ahead a week if you feel like your not being challenged.
    Check out some running form videos on youtube, its so much easier to get it right straight away then have to fix your form later on.
    If you decide you're enjoying it and want to keep going, you may want to look at your shoes as well. If you can't remember when you bought your running shoes, or if they've got over 500 miles, you'll need to replace them sooner rather than later. If/when you do, go to a running store and get fitted properly, it makes a big difference! (my running shoes are a full size and a half larger than any of my other shoes).
    Enjoy it! Its a lot of fun, and can be very empowering!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited March 2021
    I started running at 8 years ago at 44 years of age, 230 lbs (on a 5' 4 1/2" frame) and had not run since middle school.....that would be the mid 80s. I had a friend help me, we did 20 mins of 2 mins walk, 2 mins run. That was it. I was hooked. 5 months later I did my 1st 5K, and 1 year later I did my 1st duathlon. How far you go is dependent on you. Some people can run 2 miles now, for me, it took several months. My goals were songs. The 1st time I ran to "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden from beginning to end was such an elation!

Several years have gone by, age, arthritis, injuries & surgeries, and I am starting back again. I use the ZenLabs Couch to 10K app, and it starts basic, run 1 min, walk 1 and builds from there. I am a member of the Turtles Running Through Peanut Butter Club, and I know I'll never podium if - and WHEN - we return to live races, but that is ok with me. I'm running to prove to myself that I can do it. Besides, most of the people who I've met or seen through running have been friendly and great supports as well as a wealth of great information.

Like others have said, Zombies, RUN! is so much fun and helps keep you motivated. A CT5K (in my case CT10K) app also works. Nike Run Club app has some great guided runs, incentives, goals and plans, too. I've used Hal Hidgen website as well as his app. There are numerous Instagram pages to follow as well. And don't forget some strength training and STRETCH (after). A good short yoga session post run is heavenly! And the best piece of advice? Invest in a good pair of running shoes. They will prevent injuries down the road. The next best piece of advice? KEEP IT FUN!!
  • pauliet7
    pauliet7 Posts: 31 Member
    Hey I run the trails near me. It is more fun and less polluted. Start slow and don’t worry about anyone else. Whenever I see someone slower or struggling I think well done! I remember someone saying that at least they’re lapping all those on the couch. That will be true for you. No matter what effort you can make, no matter how slow at first, it’s a hundred times better than those sat at home on the couch! Go for it!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I've started C25K And did the first session today! I must say I have been enjoying it and feel my best when I've completed it although I'm knackered I feel very proud as really didn't think I could even start it 😂

That's great! I am about to start up C25K again after taking a break from running for several years and it really is a good program. I have never been very fast but once I built up my endurance a little I found running a great stress relief!
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    edited March 2021
    I want to learn how to jog or run I can bearly jog a whole minute atm if that. I want to be one of those people you see just jogging about, but I don't feel like I can do it or ever be able to do it. Can anyone learn how to run? And I feel embarrassed even trying, I feel people will think "haha look at her that fatty can bearly run 2 steps without stopping". I also hear running is a really good way to burn calories. How long will it take for me to learn to run 2 miles non stop? TIA

One thing that helped a LOT was Leslie Sansone walk away the lb videos. Do those at home for a few weeks to build your confidence. The positive is you can do them at home when the weather is bad too and not miss a day.
  • 36Carmen
    36Carmen Posts: 8 Member
    Hello, I'm not a fast runner either. Before Covid I would do 5-6 5k's a year. Now I mix it up at the gym on the treadmill. Mondays & Wednesdays, I walk. Tuesday & Thursdays, I run. Sundays I go hiking. It is at your own past.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    If you are talking about the technical aspect of running efficiently and safely you would need to see a trainer or coach.
    If you mean just to improve your cardio capabilities. I recommend the walk/jog interval method. Easy to download the app (c25k) or make up your own. The one I found started with jogging 30sec, walking 30sec (repeat 15 times). It is amazing how quick my capabilities improved.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    edited March 2021
    NO runner thinks anything about someone else running other than being happy they're out there. We're too worried about our own runs, lol.

Use intervals to build up. If you can only run/job for 30 seconds...do that, then walk for 5 min. Then jog for 30, then walk for 5, and so on for the entirety of your jog.

Each week you can increase the amount of time you jog while decreasing the amount you walk. Keep in mind the 10% rule (don't increase your pace/mileage any more than 10% of your current stats per week) to avoid injury.

You can definitely use something like Couch 2 5K....and start with longer intervals of walking if needed. You can also repeat any weeks as many times as you need before scaling up. But consistency is key when looking to improve running. So you have to stick to it. But you should see tangible progress fairly quickly if you are consistent.
  • missmeggg
    missmeggg Posts: 8 Member
    I cannot stress enough how important it is to have good running shoes and slowly build up. Quality shoes, from a running store, can help prevent injury by providing the proper support for you and your stride. A running store can evaluate your gait to figure out what it is you need. The Nike's you would buy at someplace like Kohl's are completely different materials than the ones at a running store. Trust me- spend the $ to get good shoes. Building up slowly can also help prevent injury. Trying too much too soon can lead to shin splints, hamstring injuries, etc. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited March 2021
    Please don't get frustrated and worry too much about how far you can go if you're a beginner runner. Everything will take time and eventually you will build up your cardio. When I first took up running about 12 years ago I couldn't run 1 kilometer without having to stop for a few minutes. Then after a little while I was doing 2 kilometers before having to stop and after about 5 months, I was able to do a 5 k run without stopping. Two years later and now I do half marathons without stopping. Cardio with running takes time to to able to keep going farther. But I find to keep it up, it has to be consistent. If you're only going for a run once a week or every couple of weeks, you may never get to the goal you want. Start off slow and maybe only do 2-3 runs a week and see how that goes. Everyone is different with what works for them. Lots of good advice here from everyone. Good luck to you. And btw NOBODY is looking at you and calling you fatty for running. Whoever you think is doing that is someone who sits on the couch all day and does nothing.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Thanks everyone. I've started C25K And did the first session today! I must say I have been enjoying it and feel my best when I've completed it although I'm knackered I feel very proud as really didn't think I could even start it 😂

:flowerforyou: