Healthy Sweet Potato Ideas??

Options
lovecrystaljoy
lovecrystaljoy Posts: 297 Member
Does anyone have any good Sweet potato recpie

Replies

• Hi

I usually bake mine in the skin in the oven, they are really fluffy, and the skin really nutty tasting :) or make soup with some butternut squash.

Hope this helps .....
  • Here_kittykitty
    Here_kittykitty Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of sweet potatoes, but I love sweet potato fries! Just peel skin and cut into strips, coat with a little olive oil, sprinkle on a pinch of salt, and bake for about 20 mins @ 450 degrees. You'll want to turn them once during baking, and you can cook them longer if you want them crispier. I like them with low-fat sour cream :)
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I like to cube up a sweet potato and coat them lightly with extra virgin olive oil. I add some seasoning such as garlic powder or rosemary and then roast them in the oven on a baking sheet at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I eat them a lot -- I just cook them in the microwave. I eat them just as they are, or you can use a little butter, brown sugar is good, and I like fat free greek yogurt on mine, too. Sweet potato potato salad is yummy.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Cut them into chunks, put them on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and no salt Cajun seasoning.

Bake at 400 degrees until fork tender and beginning to carmelize on the edges.

I would eat them like this every day until i die. LOVE.
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I saute sweet potatoes, onions, and mushrooms, with a little bit of oil and salt. I just eat this by itself, but it's also wonderful used as a stuffing for a chicken breast (top with cheese) or pork chop (add your favorite glaze).
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I diner near me has sweet potato pancakes which they claim are certified heart healthy. I enjoy them,but I don't have the recipe.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    slice them on the thin side, spray a cookie sheet with pam, place them on sheet, spray with olive oil pam, no salt seasoning, sliced garlic, sometimes some feta, add onions. mmmmm.
  • kathyhaf1
    Options
    baked with a little brown sugar and butter
    Yum!!!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Bake them
    Boil them, mash them with a little butter OMG so good!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just tried a recipe that has kind of an Asain feel:

Cut up 1 peeled sweet potato into cubes. Mix 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp honey, and 1 Tbsp water together in bowl. Toss with sweet potatoes. Bake in oven about 20 minutes. Baste with remaining sauce a couple times during baking. They were really good!
  • millylucille
    Options
    bump
  • haylie17
    Options
    Jamie olivers sweet potato mash amazing
    Put potatos in microwave bowl cover with cling film, cook for aropund 15 mins until soft
    meanwhile chop finely red chilli and corriander
    when potatos are soft tip out onto board with chillis and corriander and use large knife to mash up the potatos together with chilli and corriander (go mad chopping and mashing it all up, potato skins included)
    when mashed season with salt and pepper, stir in tablespoon of mango chutney or marmalade and a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.

perfect mash to go with grilled chicken, fish or pork.
    great on side of morroccan type dishes like tagine
  • richellecc
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes baked with a little margarine on it, mashed, boiled, any cooking way possible! They're good added to stews, and I have a soup that I make all the time if you want the recipe...you can't go wrong with sweet potatoes!
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Thanks every so I baked the sweet patato in a little olive oil with Zuchini and cajun sseasioning and it was soooo good even my boyfriend like it aslot and he is not a healthy eater
  • melissaforster07
    melissaforster07 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I loved baked sweet potatoes with just a little butter - but the ideas on this string are amazing. I want to try everyone!! Thanks everyone!!!
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    sounds good
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've ever made these for asks for the recipe.

Pre-Heat oven to 450
    Peel and slice potato (1/2 inch thick)
    Add to a big bowl and toss with:
    1T olive oil
    1/4t cinnamon
    1/2t cumin
    1/2t paprkia
    1/4t cayenne (if you want it spicy)
    1/2t salt

The amount of spice you use will vary depending on the amount of potato you are making.

Bake for 25-40 minutes until tender. No need to flip.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just tried a recipe that has kind of an Asain feel:

Cut up 1 peeled sweet potato into cubes. Mix 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp honey, and 1 Tbsp water together in bowl. Toss with sweet potatoes. Bake in oven about 20 minutes. Baste with remaining sauce a couple times during baking. They were really good!

Gotta try this one! Yum

Another light idea (light for Thanksgiving .... not everyday)

Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
    Peel & cube sweet potatoes. Place in a crockpot. Add 2 cups of unsweetened applesauce mixed with brown sugar (doesn't take much), cinnamon, & a bit of melted margarine. Cook until tender and serve with a slotted spoon. Much of the applesauce runs off, but potatoes are nice and cinnamony.