Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    The only nuts and fruits you should eliminate in your life, are the breathing kind.

Curtailing such drama reduces stress and increases happiness ;) .

Apparently you are talking about people. The only use of fruit that I know of with respect to people is a pejorative slur for gays. Why do you think people should avoid gays?

stop looking to be offended.

I made a joke on the thread title, and I tied it back to 'drama' not 'sexuality' ;)

I don't think anyone is looking to be offended, it's just that in certain cultures (maybe not yours) the latter term, when applied to people, has a specific meaning.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    The only nuts and fruits you should eliminate in your life, are the breathing kind.

Curtailing such drama reduces stress and increases happiness ;) .

Apparently you are talking about people. The only use of fruit that I know of with respect to people is a pejorative slur for gays. Why do you think people should avoid gays?

I thought 'fruitcake' or fruitloop' which, at least in the UK, refers to someone with mental problems or who is eccentric. Never heard anything referring to our gay community but maybe I'm just not aware of slang these days.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’m in the UK too and it was definitely used in the way Lynn implies in the 1970’s . That’s what I took it to mean and was pleased to see Lynn call it out as inappropriate. If she hadn’t, I would have.

I’d like to think we’ve all moved on from those prejudices and derogatory terms, even in alleged ‘jest’. Sadly it appears we haven’t.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I’m in the UK too and it was definitely used in the way Lynn implies in the 1970’s . That’s what I took it to mean and was pleased to see Lynn call it out as inappropriate. If she hadn’t, I would have.

I’d like to think we’ve all moved on from those prejudices and derogatory terms, even in alleged ‘jest’. Sadly it appears we haven’t.

Maybe it's a term that's no longer used; definitely not in my social circles. In general I think we've moved on but, as with many things, some people take a bit longer to catch up.

But back to the OP's original question - I eat nuts and fruit, daily, but in moderation. I have a small amount (15g) of dried fruit in my yoghurt and around 30g of berries go in my porridge. I typically have a 20g handful of almonds as a mid afternoon snack and/or an apple if I'm peckish. I usually pre-plan my days, so factor these in ahead of time. If I don't eat one of my snacks, it gives me a few more cals to play with for a dessert or more veg with my dinner.

As mentioned previously nuts and (dried) fruit are quite high in cals (and carbs) for the volume ,but they have their uses in a balanced diet.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Fruit isn't really an issue calorically...a couple of apples equals a couple hundred calories, but would be very filling. I suspect most people aren't going to eat more than 2 apples in a sitting. Fruit also has fiber, which "off sets" some of the total carb count.

You might want to weigh out/measure nuts for awhile to at least get a visual of a serving. I can easily snack on a couple of servings of pistachios in a sitting. That can add up to over 300 calories. Nuts are still very healthy, but more calorically dense than some other foods.