Healthy Spreads For Bread?

Options
Hi good morning! I was wondering if anyone could share some of their favourite healthy products or recipe ideas for spreads for bread?

The only ones I can think of are Nutella, peanut butter, jam, Laughing cow cheese, honey and avocado on toast. I found a recipe for a Sundried Tomato and Bean Pate which looks really good but I haven't tried it yet.

Oh also what is your favourite bread to have it with.
Thanks!

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    I eat every bread, preferably whole grain, arab flat bread, or baguettes or whatever lovely white breads are available in southern Europe.
    I prefer to keep it simple with things on, really. It depends on what kind of breath though. Good hard cheese of various ages (not quickly aged, as it gets a yucky sweet taste. Old Amsterdam, I look at you!), mortadella and labne, meat products commonly found in southern Europe, salami, filet americain, sobrasada, a thick slice of good-quality ham, good slice of good quality bacon, etc... I usually omit butter and only eat bread and the stuff on it as I love both!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,172 Member
    Options
    This will heavily depend on where you live, if these options are available. Here in Belgium, there is a very wide selection of bread toppings and spreads. I tend to go for chicken or turkey (ready-made cold cuts), soft goats cheese with herbs (Chavroux) and veggie spreads (guacamole, hummus,...), sometimes combined on the same slice of bread. Occasionally some smoked salmon (yummy combined with Chavroux) or a grilled ham and cheese sandwich (croque monsieur).
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hummous, might not apply to you but here in the UK there is usually a few flavour options. I'll have that with tomatoes and olives.

I'm a big fan of stuff on toast, eggs / beans / mushrooms / leftover bolognese, chilli, or ratatouille, you get the idea.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you can put pretty much anything on bread LOL

healthy is all relative. low calorie is another issue entirely.

Also, as another poster said, depending on where you are (country or region) may depend on what toppings/spreads are available.

Ive strayed somewhat from it (for a variety of reasons but largely due to burn out of it) but for weeks my lunch was a piece of toast with smashed avocado, an egg, and Everything but the bagel seasoning. It is good, under 300 calories, and keeps me full from lunch till dinner.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Not sure this qualifies as healthy....

But I actually baked my first loaf of Keto Bread on wednesday night... just 1.6 net carbs per slice, and 90 calories per slice (big slice). The bread is incredible good, tastes sort of like a cross of white/wheat and rye. Great fresh, or toasted and remains moist on the inside when toasted. ( Can't say enough good things about it... lol)

Butter it lightly ~tsp (butter is still healthy right?)

This morning, I weighed 15 grams of peanut butter (use your preferred variety)... and I then mix it up with about a equal portion or more of Joseph's sugar free maple syrup. This basically turns into a low carb Map-0-Spread.

Then lay that thick on that toast and enjoy.... This is a comfort food for me going back to my childhood, and it has all the taste texture and feeling of the real thing and all stayed well with in the confines of Keto.

(I also had 1 boiled egg, and 2 crispy bacon with it.)

Total breakfast count about 400 calories...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Flavored hummus is one of my faves-- roasted red pepper or spinach & artichoke
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Nut butters. Nutritious, but calorie dense.
  • caligkela
    caligkela Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh, i got you on this one! I looooove sandwiches and savory, low calorie spreads to jazz them up. Here are my favorites:

ikra, pinjur, & ajvar - these are all Balkan area staples made from varying combinations of roasted eggplant, red peppers, tomatoes, zucchini and spices and are absolutely delicious on everything from a breakfast/egg sandwich to a turkey/ham/cheese to straight up toast. The brand that's easiest to find is Zer Gut.

sambal - an indionesian chili paste that's a little hot and a little sweet. amazing on chicken/turkey sandwiches

Branston Pickle - a British stape that is sweet and savory and an absolute must with sharp cheddar and some slices of hard boiled egg.

Hoagie Spread - it's just finely chopped hot cherry peppers in vinegar, but it really pops. I use it for pretty much any sandwich, in fact my "signature" breakfast sandwich is an over easy egg, grated provolone and a generous dollop of hoagie spread.

other suggestions -
    • mix cream cheese, fat free yogurt and your choice of fresh chopped herbs to create a creamy spread.
    • sautee chopped mushrooms with worcestershire sauce and a little dijon mustard, serve on toasted sourdough or rye, top with a little grated cheddar.
    • spread toast with a thick yogurt (think Icelandic Skyr) and top with crushed and toasted nuts for a healthy sweet breakfast

• Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Poobah1972 wrote: »

But I actually baked my first loaf of Keto Bread on wednesday night... just 1.6 net carbs per slice, and 90 calories per slice (big slice). The bread is incredible good, tastes sort of like a cross of white/wheat and rye. Great fresh, or toasted and remains moist on the inside when toasted. ( Can't say enough good things about it... lol)

Butter it lightly ~tsp (butter is still healthy right?)

This morning, I weighed 15 grams of peanut butter (use your preferred variety)... and I then mix it up with about a equal portion or more of Joseph's sugar free maple syrup. This basically turns into a low carb Map-0-Spread.

Then lay that thick on that toast and enjoy.... This is a comfort food for me going back to my childhood, and it has all the taste texture and feeling of the real thing and all stayed well with in the confines of Keto.

(I also had 1 boiled egg, and 2 crispy bacon with it.)

Total breakfast count about 400 calories...

@Poobah1972 Could you please share the link/or the recipe for the bread? I love to bake and I’ve always wanted to try baking keto bread just to try it. However, I’ve read mixed reviews and that’s why I haven’t done it yet. Thank you!
  • Poobah1972
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Could you please share the link/or the recipe for the bread? I love to bake and I’ve always wanted to try baking keto bread just to try it. However, I’ve read mixed reviews and that’s why I haven’t done it yet. Thank you!

Sure.... I believe this recipe belongs to Diedra (you can google her on you tube.... Diedra's keto or low carb bread etc...

Or just use this... (if you using a bread machine just dump all the liquids in (honey or sugar mixed in) then your dry ingredients and yeast last. I can garantee you this beats by far any purchased low carb bread i had by a very long shot in including the very tiny loafs of "the great low carb bread company" bread.

Recipe:

• 1 cup of water - 246 g
    • 1 Tbsp.Saf Instant Yeast ( 11 g )
    • 1 tsp of real honey ( 7 g ) (or Substitute 1 tsp of sugar. (Note the yeast will eat this during rise and isn’t counted in the carb count)
    • 2 eggs, slightly beaten, room temperature.
    • 1/2 Cup Oat Fiber - 38 g
    • 2/3 Cup Ground Golden Flax Meal - 84 g
    • 1 1/4 Cup Vital Wheat Gluten - 192 g
    • 1/2 tsp of Xanthum Gum - 1 g
    • 1 tsp of salt - 6 g
    • 2 Tbsp. of softened butter - 28 g

Instructions for Mixer

1. Microwave 1 cup of water for about 45 seconds until it is 100-110 °F
    2. Pour your honey into the water and mix it around so it dissolves
    3. Add your yeast into the honey water and stir it around
    4. Add in your remaining ingredients in the order listed above
    5. Mix for about Update: I've noticed that kneading it for longer (upwards of 15 minutes) results in a better dough. The end result shouldn't be shaggy looking, and it should bounce back a bit when you push on it with your finger.
    6. Put into a loaf pan, cover with oven-safe saran wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick spray
    7. Microwave 2 cups of water until it begins to boil (about 2 minutes). Keep this in the microwave to make it warm and humid.
    8. Place loaf in the microwave BUT DO NOT TURN IT ON. Leave it in there for Update: 2-3 hours. to allow the dough to rise (You can also use the oven on low. But, again, you are not microwaving the dough -- you're just putting the dough in the microwave while it is off).
    9. Put in oven for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees.

I will add if your not low carb or keto, there probably isn't any reason to eat this bread... Cause there are 100 good recipes for bread if you bake... However this is a legit bread that rises, smells, and has the general taste feel and bounce of bread (which isn't the case for most keto bread). So yeah it's a real winner for anyone that misses bread on keto. (and no nut flours, which are harsh on calorie count).

Oh and here is the macro's as entered in MyFitnessPal (yes it's fairly low calorie to boot)

Whole Loaf
    1610 Calories
    Total Fat 66 Grams
    Total Carbohydrates 97 Grams
    Dietary Fiber 68 Grams
    NET Carbs 29 Grams
    Protein 185 grams

Per Slice (16 per Loaf)
    100.63 Calories
    Total Fat 4.13 Grams
    Total Carbohydrates 6.06 Grams
    Dietary Fiber 4.25 Grams
    NET Carbs 1.81 Grams
    Protein 11.56 Gram

(Note i had previously calculated 1.6 net carbs as i thought i could cut 18 slices... But 16 or 17 turns out to be reality with my bread cutting guide. The guide does a fantastic job though.. So yeah. lol
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hummus. Especially caramelised onion hummus. - Sadly less protein than I thought.

Different nut butters with sliced fresh fruit. Almond butter + apple slices is great.

Crushed avocado, garlic salt, sliced fresh tomatoes. If you have fresh basil, add that, too.

Yoghurt (in my case, dairy free yoghurt) mixed with herbs, salt, and pepper. - Sometimes the same, but I add in grated carrots, too.

Cashew cream cheese. Often with sliced cucumber on top. Or with sliced red capsicum.

If I am in Germany: Zwergenwiese Streich.

The base spreads without add-ons tend to make great dips, too, if I don't feel like eating bread.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    It's still going to come down to calories if your'e looking at weight loss. You could use an avocado spread, but it utilizes a lot of your calorie allowance, I'd rather you put plain old butter on it with less calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

But I actually baked my first loaf of Keto Bread on wednesday night... just 1.6 net carbs per slice, and 90 calories per slice (big slice). The bread is incredible good, tastes sort of like a cross of white/wheat and rye. Great fresh, or toasted and remains moist on the inside when toasted.

Care to share the recipe? I make an OK keto bread - but it's a bit eggy and chewy. I'm always on the lookout for a good keto friendly bread recipe.

As for fave bread spreads, in a food processor, I fine chop a 3-5 jalapeño peppers (sans most seeds) and then add in a whole package of Neuchâtel cheese along with some Everything Bagel mix and blend well. Store it in an air-tight container in the fridge. Sometimes I throw in a rasher or two of very crisp bacon.

• Poobah1972
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Care to share the recipe? I make an OK keto bread - but it's a bit eggy and chewy. I'm always on the lookout for a good keto friendly bread recipe.

As for fave bread spreads, in a food processor, I fine chop a 3-5 jalapeño peppers (sans most seeds) and then add in a whole package of Neuchâtel cheese along with some Everything Bagel mix and blend well. Store it in an air-tight container in the fridge. Sometimes I throw in a rasher or two of very crisp bacon.

@MsCzar

Someone beat you to the request.... I posted just a few posts above your request along with Macro breakdown. It's actually low carb and low cal and healthy to boot. :)
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Organic sunflower seed butter. I have a nut allergy so I can't enjoy pb, or nutella, or anything with ground or tree nuts. I like Sunbutter brand. I use their Natural version, it has added salt and sugar but I prefer that flavor. They do make an organic version, that is simply roasted sunflower seeds.

Also, consider the bread you're eating too! It's not just the nutrition of the spreads to consider, but also the nutrition from the bread. More whole grains and less added sugar = a win!

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Someone beat you to the request.... I posted just a few posts above your request along with Macro breakdown. It's actually low carb and low cal and healthy to boot. :)

lol - That's the recipe I've been using! I like it for French toast, but even when toasted, mine always turns out too eggy and chewy to sub in for bread. Maybe because I use a breadmaker?

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Ooh that pb and sf syrup mix sounds good. :)

My sister uses a spray 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' but that's probably not what you're looking for. :) I had some on home made wheat bread yesterday and it's pretty good. Zero calories per spritz.