Chest

So I tore my labrum years ago and have issues with my shoulders so chest was never my strong suit. I never over work chest and always take care of my body before anything else.

I weigh 220 and am a 33 year old male

I bench 135 at 2 sets 10 reps
Then 135 at 2 sets 6 reps

My two questions are

will I eventually Be able to lift 135 at 4 sets 10 reps and exceed eventually

Is chest only one day a week?

I work out

M - chest tricep 3 machines each 4 sets each machine
T - back bicep
W - rest
T - core and shoulder
F - legs
All days 3 machines 4 sets

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    You should probably use a proven progressive lifting program, rather than making up your own.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I'm no physio, and can't speak to your injuries, but chest isn't one day a week in my workout program.
  • JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    You should probably use a proven progressive lifting program, rather than making up your own.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I'm no physio, and can't speak to your injuries, but chest isn't one day a week in my workout program.

What progressive routine do you use and how many days a week do you work chest?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2021
    I happen to do 2 x 2-day upper/lower split routine because that's what I have time for - 4 days.

Hit each body part 2 x weekly, about 60 reps a week.

If I only had 3 days, or 6, I'd be able to hit 3 x weekly and benefit better.

If you are an experienced multi-year progressive training lifter then 1 body part a week could be the right route.
    Doesn't sound like your situation though.

Even on machines you can setup a decent routine - how many sets & reps are you doing on them?
    Or using as traditional circuit training style?

Many progressive routines you find on that list can be tweaked to use machines instead of free weights.
    But since machines usually are isolated instead of compound movements - may want to look at the dumbbell routines since those are many times the same type of movements.

Are you limited on time for a 3 day a week routine?
    Or is there cardio in there that could be moved to other days to give more time for lifting?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    So I tore my labrum years ago and have issues with my shoulders so chest was never my strong suit. I never over work chest and always take care of my body before anything else.

I weigh 220 and am a 33 year old male

I bench 135 at 2 sets 10 reps
    Then 135 at 2 sets 6 reps

My two questions are

I work out

M - chest tricep 3 machines each 4 sets each machine
    T - back bicep
    W - rest
    T - core and shoulder
    F - legs
    All days 3 machines 4 sets

One body part per week is going to do very little for a novice lifter...this is the sort of thing you see with very experienced lifters who are basically just trying to maintain what they have, both in terms of strength and muscle mass.

Ideally you would want to hit each group twice per week, if not three times. I do a full body program and I'm in the weight room at least twice per week...so at minimum, I'm hitting everything twice per week. When I can, I get in for a third day at hit everything 3x per week, but that doesn't always jive with my schedule and other goings on in life.

I'd go through the link provided...lots of good routines in there. What is best for you or best for me may be completely different depending on your available time, gym access, and other variables. I've run a few different programs in there, and they were all pretty good.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I wouldn't be concerned about a injury for years ago other than using proper load management which you should be doing regardless.
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    My two questions are

1. You could depending on your response to your stimulus and training with patience.
    2. Chest frequency has to do with the individual, their programming, and how they respond.

My current training requires four bench days and five exposures(down from six) per week and I just hit a 10lb PR on a one comp pause at age 51 so yes anything is possible. One just have to have the recipe the yields the desired response for the goal.
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2021
    I hear you regarding shoulder issues. Dirtbikes (mostly) and snowboards (and doing drunken cartwheels at 2AM in a piazza in Italy) have all required their blood sacrifices. Although not entirely pain free, what helps me is an incline bench. 15 degrees is all it takes for my better shoulder to be pain free when doing bench. Right (bad) shoulder continues to limit me (I've separated and dislocated it over the years), but that 15 degrees is a lifesaver. I do chest 2-3 times a week (I do a very weird cardio and bench routine that I won't bore you with here, but I'm happy with my gains and my shoulders seem to tolerate it). I've got 22 years on you and sit at a desk all day, so you can do this!!

Caveat: I'm not seeking to gain weight or into body building. I just happened to be passing through when I saw the OP's chest and shoulder issue. So, I thought I'd chime in as I might be of some help since I'm right there with him.