Potassium Deficit

Options
I've been at this for a week, and I love how my phone ap/profile keeps track of various minerals and the such that you need. It would seem I am very lacking in potassium! I'm not even getting a 3rd of what it says I should have even though I take a multivitamin supplement every day. I thought about changing from Special K to Total cereal but even Total only gives you 10%. I've been cramming banana's but that doesn't seem to help do anything except add calories.I hesitate to take a potassium supplement, however because I know if you accidentally overdose on potassium, you can cause heart problems including making your heat stop. I know that not getting enough can also cause issues with your heart and muscles and is probably the cause of my cramping during aerobic workouts.

Does anybody know of any good potassium rich foods that I can add in to my diet that won't cause much of a calorie or carb increase? Also, what vitamins/foods help your potassium uptake? What things can deplete it worse..I think caffeine is one but not sure.

Replies

• 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just take the supplement. Every evening I check my potassium intake before I take it. I never take more than what would get me to about 2/3. There's some potassium in our water.....don't know how much.

I seem to get more potassium on the days I eat more meat.

I try to eat something after so I don't get an upset stomach.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Upping my potassium ended my Restless Leg Syndrome. Worth it to take the supplement.
  • StarMariner
    Options
    Baked Potatoes are an excellent source of potassium, yielding 1081 mg per potato. I learned this from a registered nurse and the following website confirms his claim that baked potatoes are a better source of calcium than bananas.
    http://www.thepotassiumrichfoods.com/

Spinach (cooked) is another great source of potassium with fewer calories at 839 mg per 1 cup.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Also remember that potassium is not required on nutritional labels, so you are definitely getting more than you think. I aim for a recorded value of potassium that matches my sodium intake. I get it mostly from milk, meat, spinach, tomatoes, bananas, and other fruits and veggies. You can peek at my diary for ideas if you'd like.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just changed my settings so I could go back and see how I'd been doing on my potassium, and I've made my target every single day because I eat natural foods. Most any real food (and by that, I mean food from the ground) will be a good source of potassium, but some that I've found are particularly high are bananas, cantaloupe, apricots, figs, unsweetened almond milk, spinach, salsa, plums, tomatoes, etc. and (surprisingly) coffee!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have the same problem. :grumble: Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions! :flowerforyou:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Supplements are typically 99mg potassium, which is not enough to OD. It's also not really enough to make a difference health-wise, so skip it.

Low-sodium V8 is high in potassium. So are plain yogurt (and plain Greek yogurt), milk, broccoli, and potatoes prepared and eaten with the skin.
  • MissKittyrina
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies, I can't wait to work on adding them in to my diet. :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Potatoes -- especially red or "new" potatoes -- are a potassium bonanza. Other good sources: leafy greens (romaine, kale, spinach, chard, etc), beans, carrots, cherries, blackberries, melons, mushrooms, squash, tomatoes . . .

Also, wild caught salmon apparently (just learned this tonight when I logged it)!