BACK after a long time - is a calorie a calorie?

Options
Hi
Thanks for reading.
I lost two stone in 5 months over a decade ago using MFP and it was easy.
I worked out several times a week and counted calories. I ate back my calories burned off with whatever I wanted.
Chocolate, cheese, bread etc.
I was about 30 ish

I'm now 43 and thinking this approach won't work anymore.

Ive got about a stone and a half to shift and am working out loads - I do Les Mills classes on demand and I run.
I've only just started counting calories and macros yesterday and it seems I might be under-eating.

BUT - my question is - any over 40s women able to eat what they want if they burn enough?
Or are those days over for me? (I think I know the answer. I do know the answer, Don't I?)

THanks
Amanda

Replies

• MissFitNotFat
    MissFitNotFat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying :)
    I'm sort of approaching a certain age and thought it might impact.
    I've got my TDEE sorted and think I'm not eating enough...

Best wishes. :)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    You might have a slightly lower metabolism than before (generally speaking it goes down with age, although I believe that may be linked to a decrease in muscle mass with age). And if you're perimenopausal, you might see more weight fluctuations, due to fluctuations in water retention, which might make it harder to determine your progress/require more patience.
    Not my personal experience (yet), just from reading these forums 🙂
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Eat at a calorie level suitable for a slow and steady rate of loss, adjusted for exercise, stick with it - it will happen just as it did when you did it previously.

I am another of the ones who has achieved a very respectable loss (12kg, which is 2 stone; 28lbs) since May last year. I am in my late 50s. I lost about the same amount 2014-15 (pre-menopause), but put it back on again, helped by an acid reflux medication and by not keeping an eye on things in peri-menopause. I was still in my smaller clothes so it was in different places (for me especally my lower stomach area).

This time around, I found losing to normal bmi and just below a very similar experience from last time. However, losing to goal has been a lot harder, and although I touched my goal weight of 75kg just after Christmas, I regained 2kg during January which I am now losing again. I am still not there (and fortunately having a break a regain does seem to have increased my ability to lose now). My own experience has been that I have needed to log more carefully and think more about my macros this time than last time.

Looking at my weight loss graph from last time, compared to to this time, I can also see that I found it a lot easier to get below 75kg then than I am finding it this time. What I am currently not shifting at all is the bulge around my lower midriff. Maybe that will go, maybe not. On the plus side, I am miles fitter this time around and have much more muscle.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Things about where and how you store/gain fat will change, and your metabolic rate may be different, and certainly weight fluctuations likely will but.

It's still all about how many calories you eat vs how many you burn.

(Also 43. 30lbs down. 9 until healthy BMI, 19-29 to what would probably be ideal. Am I losing fast? No. Am I losing steadily while eating a lot of chocolate and chips? Yes.)
  • MissFitNotFat
    MissFitNotFat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I suppose I need to keep an eye on the macros too.
    A 100 calorie snack with low fat is better than one with higher.

Amanda
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm over 40 and was able to lose those last "stubborn pounds" at 43 by basically eating less calories than I was burning. Like others have said, a calorie is still a calorie when it comes to weight loss. However, a long time ago I decided to focus more on eating for health than just eating for weight loss. So in that sense, no, a calorie isn't just a calorie when you're looking at it from a nutrition/health benefits standpoint. However, that doesn't change regardless of age, but I know personally I"m way more concerned about that when I lost weight in my 20's and even early 30's. Also, when I started viewing what I eat from that lens rather than just the weight loss lens, actually made losing weight easier.

I will say that yes, I have to be more careful than when I lost weight in my 20's, but I don't deprive myself and eat treats and probably due eat too much added sugar. I don't feel it was particularly "hard," but I also set out to lose those last few pounds slowly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for reading.
    I lost two stone in 5 months over a decade ago using MFP and it was easy.
    I worked out several times a week and counted calories. I ate back my calories burned off with whatever I wanted.
    Chocolate, cheese, bread etc.
    I was about 30 ish

I'm now 43 and thinking this approach won't work anymore.

Ive got about a stone and a half to shift and am working out loads - I do Les Mills classes on demand and I run.
    I've only just started counting calories and macros yesterday and it seems I might be under-eating.

BUT - my question is - any over 40s women able to eat what they want if they burn enough?
    Or are those days over for me? (I think I know the answer. I do know the answer, Don't I?)

THanks
    Amanda

I'm not a female...though I don't think that really makes a difference...I am an almost 47 year old male well on my way to losing my 20 Lbs of COVID weight. I eat a pretty nutritionally sound diet, but I have chocolate or cookies for desert pretty much every night...pizza or takeout most Friday nights. Aging does have an impact on our BMR...though not as pronounced as many think...but CICO still holds true as an energy equation.

A calorie is still a calories just as an inch is an inch...it's simply a unit of measure.
    Thanks everyone.

Amanda

Maybe yes, maybe no...there's nothing inherently bad about dietary fat...it's actually a highly essential nutrient and required for a lot of body functions and hormone regulation and some fats like mono and poly unsaturated fats are very good for your heart health. It is the most calorie dense of the three macros, but not necessarily something to avoid, especially not completely. Personally, for a snack I would get more satisfaction from 100 calories of cheese for example than I would a 100 calorie rice cake...it's 100 calories either way and the one with more fat is going to satisfy me a lot more than eating caked rice and air.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just another person chiming in to say that I'm in my 40s and I manage my weight by counting calories. I'll still have foods like ice cream or french fries or wine, I just make sure to measure my portions accurately and log them. Obviously you want to meet your nutritional needs, but as long as treats aren't crowding out what you need, that isn't really hard to do.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy. For weight loss, a calorie is a calorie, but obviously some foods are better at keeping you full longer, and they all have different nutrient profiles... I think metabolism typically goes down as you age due to muscle and bone loss, not to say living a healthy active lifestyle can't combat those things.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    To add to the chorus, my TDEE at 40, 45, and now at 48 is higher than it ever was in my 20s or 30s because I am way more active and I am stronger than I was in my 20s and 30s. In fact right now my TDEE or the number of calories I need to eat to maintain my weight is around 2200 calories a day, and I'm only 5'4" and 125 pounds (and as I said 48 years old). I actually had gained about 10 pounds between Nov-January and just lost much of it at a rate of about 1 pound a month (a little faster than I intended) simply using CICO. I did not feel my age was a barrier at all.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Amanda

Just curious..what would give you that impression? If anything, a higher fat snack could be more satiating.

I just hit the big 4-0 this month myself. I haven't noticed any additional hurdles with weight loss yet....still works the same way it always did for me. :)
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I am 46 now. I first lost weight successfully in 2014, going from 180ish to 130ish. Maintained a while, then put back on a few. And got serious again about CICO last summer. June to December 2020 went from 150 to 130.

I eat food. I don't worry about 'clean' or any particular 'diet' guidelines. I do try to get a decent amount of protein. I know that if I eat too much food that is high sugar/high calorie then it will use up calories but not leave me full for long, so I try to factor that in. Meaning I plan out most of my calories so that I have food that gets me thru my day. I'd hate to run out of calories at 2pm because I made poor choices. On the other hand, I can plan for scenarios when I need/want to eat more.

So yes, it is simply a matter of calories, planning and choices. It is true you could eat 2000 calories of donuts vs 2000 calories balanced nutrition and be at the same weight loss trend. THe difference is in how you'd feel. The 2000 calories of donuts? You'd probably have sugar rush then crash, and then be hungry/feel lousy for half the day.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I lost 15lbs and got down to 13% body fat when I was 50 yrs old. I ate (and still do) foods I like, I track pretty closely (save for a restaurant meal or two). It can be done, please don’t be discouraged!