Sugar

Options
Hi everyone! Just a question. As im logging my meals im focusing on my sugar and carb intake. I dont eat candy or sweets very often. Im trying to wstch the hidden sugars. I was surprised to see that green beans and eggs contain sugar accirding to the food diary. Never heard of sugar in a boiled egg or fresh green beans! Any one else suprised?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not surprised - sugar occurs naturally in many things. I don't focus on sugar or carbs anyway (no medical issues for me). Instead I focus on meeting protein and fat goals. Fiber is something I look after too.

ADDED sugar is something new for nutrition labels in the U.S. so many existing entries are going to lump added sugars along with naturally occurring sugars in the same bucket.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Most, if not all, fruit and veg will have some sugar - but not enough to worry about unless you are trying to follow a very low carb or low calorie diet in which case you might cut down on the sweeter fruit.

Eggs, however, do not contain sugar and you should check the database entry you are using. Look for a better match.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    The best way to log an egg is to use the raw egg entry (egg, whole, raw). 100 g of raw egg (about 2 large eggs, the calories don't change when you cook it) have 0.37 g of sugar (usually this would be rounded down to zero). If you are seeing more, check your entry. If someone else created it, it could be a recipe that includes something added with sugar (beats me what, if it's labeled as hard-boiled egg, but who knows).

I was not surprised there is sugar in fruit, veg, dairy, and small amounts in many other non sweet whole or minimally processed foods (like oats that have nothing added). This is one reason I think the focus on "sugar" tends to be misplaced. I think it makes sense (of course) to limit sweet treats and watch added sugar for a bit to see if there are any surprises (I didn't find any -- I mostly eat whole foods and always read labels so I didn't really expect to, but the media claims about how much accidental sugar one is supposedly eating are so over the top that I figured I'd try cutting out added sugar for a bit to see if it was really that hard or made a difference--it did not).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    deniseh77 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Just a question. As im logging my meals im focusing on my sugar and carb intake. I dont eat candy or sweets very often. Im trying to wstch the hidden sugars. I was surprised to see that green beans and eggs contain sugar accirding to the food diary. Never heard of sugar in a boiled egg or fresh green beans! Any one else suprised?

I think the entry for your boiled egg is a bad one...eggs don't have sugar...and/or it would be well below anything meaningful.

Most calories coming from fruit and veg come from sugar though...which really isn't anything to worry about.
  • chikadeedoo
    chikadeedoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ztfnyhzmjx9e.png

The sugar in the egg is naturally occurring and a very tiny amount. It has no effect on your blood glucose level at least, not the number of eggs you would eat at once. So I would not worry about eggs when counting carbs.

My mom has been living with juvenile diabetes. I've learned a lot from her during 40 years of counting her carbs and experimenting...

Watch for fruits. They are healthy and good for you but eat them in moderation. Fruit juices are loaded with sugar as well, even the no added sugar ones.

Hidden sugars are in condiments, packaged meals, bread, cereals, yogurt. Whole foods that are closest to their natural state are the best. Some veggies, like green peas, have more carbs. Potatoes and other starchy veggies are also carb houses, but they are satisfying and easier to digest. Unless you're on a Paleo diet, green beans are a nono:)

Everything that is natural (not according to the food package!!) and has carbs or sugar (no added sugar), and you eat them in moderation, you work it off during your everyday activities and with exercise.
  • chikadeedoo
    chikadeedoo Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Also, one of the foods my mom said elevated her blood sugar right after she ate it was curly fries. Sorry, Arbys and Jack:) But deep-fried starchy foods or deep-fried panko/crusted meats are the ones to watch out for.
  • deniseh77
    deniseh77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The best way to log an egg is to use the raw egg entry (egg, whole, raw). 100 g of raw egg (about 2 large eggs, the calories don't change when you cook it) have 0.37 g of sugar (usually this would be rounded down to zero). If you are seeing more, check your entry. If someone else created it, it could be a recipe that includes something added with sugar (beats me what, if it's labeled as hard-boiled egg, but who knows).

I was not surprised there is sugar in fruit, veg, dairy, and small amounts in many other non sweet whole or minimally processed foods (like oats that have nothing added). This is one reason I think the focus on "sugar" tends to be misplaced. I think it makes sense (of course) to limit sweet treats and watch added sugar for a bit to see if there are any surprises (I didn't find any -- I mostly eat whole foods and always read labels so I didn't really expect to, but the media claims about how much accidental sugar one is supposedly eating are so over the top that I figured I'd try cutting out added sugar for a bit to see if it was really that hard or made a difference--it did not).

Thank you so much. I dont eat sweets but was checking to see how much "hidden " sigats i was consuming
  • deniseh77
    Options
    Also, one of the foods my mom said elevated her blood sugar right after she ate it was curly fries. Sorry, Arbys and Jack:) But deep-fried starchy foods or deep-fried panko/crusted meats are the ones to watch out for.

Thank you sp much for your help
  • deniseh77
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    deniseh77 wrote: »

I think the entry for your boiled egg is a bad one...eggs don't have sugar...and/or it would be well below anything meaningful.

Most calories coming from fruit and veg come from sugar though...which really isn't anything to worry about.

Thank you!