Alright... who's got great legs, & how'd you manage to get e

Options
So here's the story... starting weight before MFP was 175lbs. I'm 150 now. Not only am I 150lbs, but it's a STUBBORN 150lbs.

I've been running 30 minutes 3-5 times per week. I've been biking 30 minutes 3-5 times per week. I've been doing weights on the inner-thigh/outter thigh machine 3-5 times per week; 60 lbs, 15 reps, 2 sets each inner thigh, & outter thigh. AND I've been using the stair climber a couple of times per week.

But... my measurements aren't chaning. My weight isn't chaning. It's been almost a month now. What is going on?! I haven't been pigging out anymore... I haven't been eating McDonalds... I stopped drinking hard liquor & now go for 1-2 Smirnoff Ice light (100 cal per cooler) working them into my daily calories. I gave up even DIET pop. And I haven't even been going out for lunches. It's been yogurt & fruit, cereal & fruit, or a thin-bagel & peanut butter & fruit for breakfast... salad for lunch... & sensible dinner for MONTHS. And my snacks? Yogurt & fruit. Sure... I haven't tracked ALL my meals.... I try to average 400 calories a meal, & snack on fruit & yogurt. That should do it, right?

Why is this not working? Why are my legs not slimming down? That's where the rest of my weight is. Legs, & hips. And I have so much cellulite I look like a golf ball! My (Health-Nut-Gym-Rat) Boyfriend says the weight & cellulite will both fall off on the bike & the treadmill... but it just hasn't so far... not 1 lb and it's been a month!

Does my body just WANT these ugly hips? Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Mrswheels01
    Mrswheels01 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get ideas as well
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just stick with the cardio exercise, that's the main way to get rid of body fat, some areas are going to be more stubborn than others, but eventually it will happen. Just stick with it! :smile:
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    try upping your weights when you do your strength training and try doing 3 sets of 10 or 12 if you can! Also, try high interval training--sounds to me like your body has adapted to your exercise routine an its time to change it up and give it a new challenge :) HTH!
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    when was the last time you increased your intake? I'm wondering if you're plateauing because you need to eat more. Just a thought.
  • ChrisWag
    Options
    I am not a trainer, I can only suggest what has worked for me.
    I started more sculpting moves, rather than hard core weight training. I found for me that it makes my legs leaner. The other way was building muscle under what was left of my fat, therefore my inches were not decreasing.
    i stopped worrying about the scale, as you get leaner you will start to lose both inches and weight, but weight is so irrelevant to how you LOOK.....
    switch up the cardio a bit. Try other things than just running. I walk, run and do the elliptical, that way my muscles do not learn memory of my workouts....
    There are several great workouts that require little to no equipment that are great for sculpting your body. I highly recommend Windsor Pilates if you can afford the dvd, or Women's Health did a book/dvd combo called Tank Top Arms, Bikini Belly and Boy Short Bottom....LOVE IT!!!!

Good luck and hope this helps.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You may need to actually eat more calories for a little bit. Your body could be adjusting to all the changing and new amount of calories. Read about zig zagging.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Oh and pilates are great for sculpting. Mari Windsor will kick your bum.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Let me begin by saying I do not have great legs lol. But I wondered when you do your biking and running are you doing steady pace or interval training? Have heard the latter burns proportionally more fat.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You need to switch it up!

If your body gets used to anything (calorie intake, exercise routine, etc) it will stop responding.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    To add to all the awesome suggestions- dancing. Seriously. And if you're not against it, pole dance exercise. It's a great work out and really tones up your body and especially legs. I had strong lean legs when I danced and could do more push ups than a lot of men when I danced. But if that's not your style just regular dancing will work and is fun. I've heard great things about zumba if you want to try it. There's zumba classes at most gyms and dvds to do at home. Or tell you're gym rat bf it's crucial to your to your health that he takes you out dancing :)
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    .....if you're not against it, pole dance exercise. It's a great work out and really tones up your body and especially legs. I had strong lean legs when I danced and could do more push ups than a lot of men when I danced.

You know, I've heard that. But... there aren't any places to take classes in Barrie Ontario. Not that I know of anyway. I was told it would give you killer abs, actually.

Maybe the calorie thing has some merrit though. I don't know. I'm going to keep plugging away... I've been doing intervals on the bike, & random incline on the treadmill. Maybe I should do running one day, & biking the next? I don't know... I usually do both when I go to the gym. Maybe I should change it up more?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I have good legs and built good legs on many a client. Ditch the abduction/adduction machines for squats, Bulgarian squats, leg presses, lunges, leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts and leg extensions. You also should train your upper body too.
    You don't seem to be doing anything but cardio and in reality that can just burn lean muscle tissue if you don't utilize it in strength training.
    Also you can't just "guess" your calorie intake. You either know it or not.
    From a TOUGH LOVE perspective of a trainer, your approach could be much better than you're doing now and if you're serious then you'll consider what I've advised.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Yeah... I'm getting back into tracking my day again. I'm sure I'm still under/close to my calories. And I overeat my protein almost every day. I can't really help that though... if I don't toss in protein, I STARVE, & eat after dinner. I don't want to do that, because that's not good for you either.
  • pikapuffie
    Options
    i highly recommend chalean extreme. in general i'm an apple shaped so legs and hips isn't a huge issue for me BUT i had a super flat bum and doing the program has really toned and lifted and curved my bum. its alot of lunges and squats so that's why i think it works. i agree with the other poster who said ditch the weighted machines at the gym. use your own body weight and do more freestanding moves.

as for your plateau i was there for months too. finally started to track my calories with MFP and saw movement in the scale. i was def. eating way more cals than i thought. its scary how they add up!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Be patient. A month isn't really all that long if you think about it. It took far longer for my legs to thin out - and I've been running for a year now. I do the hip machines, the leg press and squats at the gym, but I have to admit.. .running is what thinned my thunder thighs way down. You have to be PATIENT and give your body time to catch up.

Make sure you are eating enough. A body that isn't fueled enough will NOT lose weight. So, make sure that not only are you eating healthy but you're eating adequate calories too.

I'm currently 143-145lbs (today I was 145) and I consume 2200-2500 NET calories a day. So, make sure you're eating! Make sure you are getting enough water too.

Most of all.. just give yourself TIME. Everyone wants to see change and see it NOW. Our bodies don't always work the way we want them to.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Yeah... I'm getting back into tracking my day again. I'm sure I'm still under/close to my calories. And I overeat my protein almost every day. I can't really help that though... if I don't toss in protein, I STARVE, & eat after dinner. I don't want to do that, because that's not good for you either.

It has been shown that eating late at night doesn't affect most people - IF you are making good food choices. I eat EVERY night before bed - if I don't, I wake up starving in the middle of the night. I've lost 60lbs and I am happily maintaining now. I truly believe it isn't WHEN you eat, but WHAT you eat!