Fat?!

I've lost some weight but now all of a sudden my fat seems a hell of lot squiggier than it was. I've still got a long way to go but why is it so squiggy now or is it just in my head?

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Glad I'm not going mad! Ha! But thanks that's actually really interesting! I didn't know fat cells filled up with water.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    You will have a lot of loose skin. Depending on age and genetics, it may shrink down a bit.
  • Jayj180894
    ouryve wrote: »
    You will have a lot of loose skin. Depending on age and genetics, it may shrink down a bit.

I do have loose skin but the fat I'm talking about feels very different. I know this sounds gross but it feels like a bean bag. You can feel each "bean" it is gross 😂😂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    ouryve wrote: »

I do have loose skin but the fat I'm talking about feels very different. I know this sounds gross but it feels like a bean bag. You can feel each "bean" it is gross 😂😂

Yeah, that's the feeling some people get partway through loss. It's temporary. Hang in there!
  • Jayj180894
    Yeah, I have this. I find playing with it incredibly entertaining, which I should probably not admit to in public, but. OK!

I'm not going to lie I also like playing with it 😂 it's good as well cos if I stand to the side in the mirror I can pull it to the side somewhat, put my arm down the side and I can see what I'd look like when I get to my goal weight. Very motivating! Haha!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    You are not going crazy - it even has a name - SQUISHY FAT! Squishy fat is fat cells which have been mostly emptied of fat and now contain mainly water. When you lose fat, the cells themselves don’t go away. If you keep losing, eventually most of the squishy fat will go away too. In many people, their fat getting squishy is a sign that they are about to have a large drop in water weight.

Never thought I'd find myself wishing for squishy fat!

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    I've lost some weight but now all of a sudden my fat seems a hell of lot squiggier than it was. I've still got a long way to go but why is it so squiggy now or is it just in my head?

Me and my fiancé are in the same squishy boat as you. Saddly Fat cells never go away (unless you get them sucked out), they just shrink. So as the fat cells shrink, they loose overall tension between themselves and the skin that layer trying to contain them, so yeap, everything just get's really squishy.

Squishy is a good thing though, and a great sign that your heading in the right direction. B)
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    This is the most recent post on this topic I could find. I've been slowly losing weight and just hit the squishy fat phenomenon again. Even though I've experienced it before, I feel the need to reach out to others who get the weirdness.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    @lokihen Embrace the weirdness. It’s a sign of great things to come.

Just allow a few weeks for the “remodeling” to sort itself out once it does.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    LOL I used to make a big "New York-style bagel" out of my squishy stomach fat and loose skin that would make my kids laugh, even when not overweight. Now that I've lost even more and am not as bloated, I still have enough to make a bagel thin.