Added vs natural sugars

Options
How do you all keep track of natural sugar intake vs. added sugar intake daily?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't, I don't need to regulally track any kind of sugar and never have, it's simply not important or significant to me. I swapped it out for tracking fibre instead which was of more interest.

The only time I eat a lot of sugar is when I'm cycling long distances and need to maximise my sugar intake (glucose/fructose mix) for performance and endurance.

Why is it of interest to you OP? Would help enormously with targetted advice if people knew the why behind the question.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    In 2019 and 2020 I challenged myself to the WHO recommendation of limiting added sugar (which they call "free sugars") to under 5% for 4 weeks.

I created a spreadsheet - cannot be done within MFP as there is no category for this and food manufacturers were only recently required to list this on labels. I was able to get the info I needed from the labels.

Here's the Challenge thread created for this by @lemurcat12:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10769530/30-day-logging-limiting-added-sugar-challenge/p1

https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

4 MARCH 2015 ¦ GENEVA - A new WHO guideline recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits.

Guideline on sugars intake for adult and children

Free sugars refer to monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) added to foods and drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always have a set limit (in grams) for sugar that I try to stay under. I try to get at least half of my sugar from naturally occurring sources like fruit and vegetable. The other half I will get from breads, treats, or processed foods in general. My main goal with sugar consumption is to limit overall sugar regardless if it is natural or added. I have learned over time the less sugar I eat, the less inflammation and divestive issues I have. I still go out of the way to consume sugar though, because I enjoy foods that have it. I will first try to eat fruits and vegetables, and with remaining sugar for the day I will eat what I want. This method works for me and I have found it to be conducive to losing weight and being healthier.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I've found that I rarely eat added sugar in any meaningful amount unless I know it (I mostly cook from whole foods), so I don't keep track. I eat foods with added sugar (specifically, sweets desserts, rarely enough these days, since I just don't seem to have much of a sweet tooth anymore).

Initially, though, I logged, looked at the source of my sugar, and figured it out. (It's harder if you eat something with some added and some intrinsic sugar, but other than a few hot sauces with an insignificant amt of sugar anyway, I don't really eat much of that sort of thing.)

If you think you are consuming lots of added sugar, it is worth eyeballing and trying to estimate to see, and easier to do these days as (in the US, anyway) the labels will have that information. You can add it in the notes box when logging.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Another one who doesn't monitor either natural or added/free sugars. That said, my day to day consumption of "free sugars" is pretty nominal. The only sweets I really eat are deserts after dinner which are very reasonable in serving size. I get some sugars from condiments and the like...but again, it's a negligible amount.
  • carana69
    carana69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I don't, I don't need to regulally track any kind of sugar and never have, it's simply not important or significant to me. I swapped it out for tracking fibre instead which was of more interest.

The only time I eat a lot of sugar is when I'm cycling long distances and need to maximise my sugar intake (glucose/fructose mix) for performance and endurance.

Why is it of interest to you OP? Would help enormously with targetted advice if people knew the why behind the question.

I am studying to be a Certified Dietary Manager and was just curious as to how this would be tracked. I know that according to dietary guidelines women should have no more than 24 grams and men no more than 36 grams a day of added sugar.
  • carana69
    carana69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I don't either. The body breaks down sugar (processed or natural) the same way and is absorbed the same way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you this is significant knowledge for my education in the Dietary field
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    carana69 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

I am studying to be a Certified Dietary Manager and was just curious as to how this would be tracked. I know that according to dietary guidelines women should have no more than 24 grams and men no more than 36 grams a day of added sugar.

The US dietary guidelines say no more than 10% of total cals from added sugar, and the WHO guidelines the same, with a further recommendation to stay below 5% if possible, not specific gram amounts. The reasoning given is because added sugar can lead to excess cals (in part because it is often combined with fat) or if not may crowd out other nutrients. Thus, I'd say that if one's cals are not excess and one is getting in sufficient other nutrients (I log at Cron and can see this easily), focusing on added sugar is probably overrated.

The 24 gram # seems to be 5% of 1920 cals, and the 36 g # is 5% of 2880 cal. It looks like those numbers are from the AHA, and are supposed to be about 50% of estimated discretionary calories (which I'm not convinced is a great approach).

I intentionally do limit added sugar (not by counting it, but by limiting the amount of foods I eat with lots of added sugar, which is generally easy for me, my temptations are otherwise), but I think focusing on the amount of added sugar specifically, is a reverse of the approach I'd take. I'd focus on what the diet SHOULD include, and then using the (limited) cals left as desired. The reason I prefer that approach, is at MFP I've often seen people who obsess about not eating foods they define as bad, but who continue to have diets low in other important foods (maybe sources of protein or healthy fats or, most often, vegetables and/or fiber).
  • RuthOttawa
    RuthOttawa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to track my added sugars.

I created a separate meal category called 'natural sugars' and I list all fruits, veggies, milk, plain yogurt (no sugar added) etc. in this category. I subtract the sugar total of this 'meal' from my overall sugar consumption to come up with how many grams of added sugar I'm consuming.

It messes up my calorie counting by meal but controlling my sugar monster is more important to me right now :-).
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I'm not understanding how it affects your cal counting. If you just subtract the sugars, your cals would be the same, no?

Also, be aware that of course there are non whole foods that have a mix of intrinsic and added sugar. US labels should now make that clear (not sure if Canadian do).