Italian Foods

Options
Can you guys help me find some low calorie italian foods. Italian food is my favorite food in the world.:laugh:

Replies

• happy_bunny1990
    Options
    Can you guys help me find some low calorie italian foods. Italian food is my favorite food in the world.:laugh:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i made Garden-Style Lasagna from cookinglight.com

its got a TON of veggies in it. not traditional 'italian style' but it covered the need for pasta. i wanted a big dose of veggies in my lunches and this did the trick.

drawbacks? took at least 2 hours with all the prep work and cook time. i would suggest you read the recipe comments for suggestions/ideas to make it tastier.

good part? i still have 7 servings in my freezer and each time i eat one it tastes great. next time i will add some mushrooms.

another thing to keep in mind:

sometimes i bake some chicken and save it in the fridge. then thru the week i incorporate the chicken into my dinners. one day i made spagetti, then sauteed broc, mush, garlic, onions (cant recall what else) in olive oil. i then added the chicken to warm it up and then put it on top of the spagetti. tasted like i was at olive garden and only had like 400-500 cals!

use 93% + lean ground sirloin. i read a post it was actually better than ground turkey. you can make any kind of italian meal with some sauce, wheat pasta and some beef. i saw a few low cal meat ball recipes on here...dont have time to dig them up but i know they exist!

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Recipe is adapted from the "Accidental Vegan" cookbook.

Pasta Primavera
    makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
    2 quarts of water
    1 red onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup vegetable broth
    3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
    1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into strips
    1 cup peas, frozen or fresh
    1 bunch of Swiss chard (or spinach), trimmed and chopped
    1 lb colorful pasta

Cook:
    - Start boiling water for the pasta.
    - In a medium sauce pan or skillet, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 min. Add the vegetable broth, basil, sea salt, asparagus, and bell pepper and cook on medium heat for 10 min. Add the peas, and chard/spinach. Cook for another 5 min or until all veggies are soft.
    - Meanwhile, cook the pasta. When it's ready, drain it, add it to the veggies and cook for another 5 min. Serve hot.

Nutritional Information:
    Serving Size- 1/6 of prepared recipe
    Calories 330.8
    Total Fat 15.4 g
    Saturated Fat 8.3 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 5.0 g
    Cholesterol 65.6 mg
    Sodium 200.6 mg
    Potassium 313.1 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
    Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
    Sugars 2.4 g
    Protein 19.1 g
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I swear by Dreamfield's pastas. Not "low-calorie" by definition, but they are high in fiber, and taste just like the regular stuff.