How to get over a plateau?

Fivefootninebaddie
Fivefootninebaddie Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m pretty lean because I recently lost 56 pounds but I want to lose more. I’m 5’9 and 138, my goal is to get to 135 or maybe 130. I haven’t lost anything in months and I’m working out fairly hard and eating well. I just rly want to lose the last 5-10 lbs so I can be ready for summer. Any tips?

Replies

• Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    Change your routine. Eat foods you've never eaten before. Do exercises you've never done before. Break the monotony. Get you body off of "cruise control".

This advice was given to me by the trainers at my gym. As a result, I broke a 9 month plateau in 3 weeks.
  • Fivefootninebaddie
    Do you use a food scale for everything, weighing and logging it all, no skipping, cheating, or forgetting? If not, start there.

You’re down to the last few pounds. You are going to have to be very accurate on your calorie intake as there isn’t as much wiggle room as there used to be.

Second question- do you lift weights at all? If you’re that light (I’m 5’9 too, and 138 would look underweight on me) and don’t look like you want to look, it may be a matter of adding muscle, not losing weight at this point.

I haven’t been tracking calories because I have a history of an ed and tracking triggers that part of my brain. Just estimating has worked for me to lose the weight so far. I do a lot of cardio so i can switch to more HIIT and maybe I’ll do weights too!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Do you use a food scale for everything, weighing and logging it all, no skipping, cheating, or forgetting? If not, start there.

You’re down to the last few pounds. You are going to have to be very accurate on your calorie intake as there isn’t as much wiggle room as there used to be.

Second question- do you lift weights at all? If you’re that light (I’m 5’9 too, and 138 would look underweight on me) and don’t look like you want to look, it may be a matter of adding muscle, not losing weight at this point.

I haven’t been tracking calories because I have a history of an ed and tracking triggers that part of my brain. Just estimating has worked for me to lose the weight so far. I do a lot of cardio so i can switch to more HIIT and maybe I’ll do weights too!

HIIT (as in close to maximal effort cardio intervals) is done for specific fitness reasons, in small doses and it's not actually a high calorie burner if that's what you are thinking - the recovery periods drag down the average burn to a rough equivalent of quite moderate intensity cardio.
    With the downsides duration is very limited and it builds a huge amount of fatigue.
  • Fivefootninebaddie
    sijomial wrote: »

HIIT (as in close to maximal effort cardio intervals) is done for specific fitness reasons, in small doses and it's not actually a high calorie burner if that's what you are thinking - the recovery periods drag down the average burn to a rough equivalent of quite moderate intensity cardio.
    With the downsides duration is very limited and it builds a huge amount of fatigue.

Ok good to know!
  • Katerr1kk
    Katerr1kk Posts: 81 Member
    I am a similar height and weight and started a similar thread recently - I had completely plateau'd for almost two months. I had a lot of very helpful responses - maybe do a search?

In my case i tightened up my logging, changed a few of my walks for runs and on the advice of that thread increased my calories (from 1200 to 1580 currently). My weight has started to move again, but I know that this last stretch will be slow going. It took 9 months to lose 41lb and I'm expecting the last 10-15 to take the same amount of time.

As others have said I think the key is to change things up as our bodies get used to what we do.
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    Analog_Kid wrote: »
    Change your routine. Eat foods you've never eaten before. Do exercises you've never done before. Break the monotony. Get you body off of "cruise control".

This advice was given to me by the trainers at my gym. As a result, I broke a 9 month plateau in 3 weeks.

This is exactly what helped me!
    Bumped up my workout with a big variety of different exercises and stopped eating protein bars, instead only natural foods.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    xksuvmsp2liy.jpg
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Biggiwig69 wrote: »
    Analog_Kid wrote: »

This is exactly what helped me!
    Bumped up my workout with a big variety of different exercises and stopped eating protein bars, instead only natural foods.

You chose the only comment that has no scientific bearing.
    Switching things up does nothing for weight loss, eating 'natural foods' also does nothing for weight loss. Instead, look at long-term trends and track and weigh accurately. Make sure your calorie deficit fits your current stats.

exactly.

you are either tracking food better, or are burning more. Regardless, it has nothing to do with changing foods or switching things up.