Rowing Machine Recommendations

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    tbilly20 wrote: »
    Could be pandemic related. I placed myself on their waiting list while deciding between the Water Rower and C2. The confirmation email they sent was pompous, in my opinion. So I wrote them a quick email to see if they would respond. This was 6 weeks ago, and I have not heard anything back. After a week of silence, I contacted WR and exchanged emails within a day. I ordered my Water Rower that afternoon. Perhaps my standards were too high. Like I said, this is my job and passion.

I know well over 100 folks that have C2s and that's the first complaint I've ever heard about their customer service. Perhaps you got a standard email that was automated. I'm not sure.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman - Hopefully my experience is isolated. Poor service from one supplier in the fitness industry works to the detriment of all suppliers in that same arena. Concept2 lost their chance with me, but I am glad to hear others have had a very different experience.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Could be pandemic related. I placed myself on their waiting list while deciding between the Water Rower and C2. The confirmation email they sent was pompous, in my opinion. So I wrote them a quick email to see if they would respond. This was 6 weeks ago, and I have not heard anything back. After a week of silence, I contacted WR and exchanged emails within a day. I ordered my Water Rower that afternoon. Perhaps my standards were too high. Like I said, this is my job and passion.

Did you try calling them?

Emails can get "lost" but whenever I've called them their CS was always responsive and 1st rate
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Why chase them down when I could buy a competing product from an authorized retailer that was delivered in a week? I don’t want to start a debate, but a company that sells its product to a waitlist of pirates who are going to re-sell on eBay for a profit has a flawed distribution model. There is nothing that has shown me that Concept 2 is a brand I would want to support.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Why chase them down when I could buy a competing product from an authorized retailer that was delivered in a week? I don’t want to start a debate, but a company that sells its product to a waitlist of pirates who are going to re-sell on eBay for a profit has a flawed distribution model. There is nothing that has shown me that Concept 2 is a brand I would want to support.

I wouldn't consider making a phone call trying to "chase" anyone down but to each his own.

Not too many people (myself included) who I've heard say that they were unhappy w/C2 either in terms of their product or customer service but, as you say, you have the choice to spend the $ where & as you like.

Hope you're happy w/whatever other product that you bought.

Ciao!
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @I_Want_A_Donut - this tread has helped me decide to put my name on the waitlist last week. Since you put your name in 4 weeks ago, have you been able to order yet? I too am hoping it’s a conservative estimate and I can order sooner
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,084 Member
    Options
    azkunk wrote: »
    @I_Want_A_Donut - this tread has helped me decide to put my name on the waitlist last week. Since you put your name in 4 weeks ago, have you been able to order yet? I too am hoping it’s a conservative estimate and I can order sooner

@azkunk, FWIW, I was on the waiting list for another of their products (one with a longer advertised order delay). I went on the wait list 12/3, at which point they were estimating 7-8 weeks, which would have been end of January. They sent weekly updates. In one of those updates, they reported a supply chain problem, with a promise to update when information was available. The next week's update moved the target to 2/10. On 2/4, I got the "you can order now" message, and ordered on 2/5. It was shipped on 2/9 via UPS, and delivered on 2/15.

So, for that product line, I found their estimate to be pretty close to accurate, and they were forthright when a delay was anticipated part way through the process.
  • azkunk
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - thanks, that is helpful.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    I_Want_A_Donut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I get weekly updates, as of right now they are telling me I should be able to order before the middle of march.
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you are waiting for a C2.. They are worth the wait!

I've had mine almost 7 years and it's as good as the day I set it up for the first time.

It helps to offset other activities I do so I log approximately 1 million meters per year.

The thing is top shelf quality!
  • azkunk
    Options
    I get weekly updates, as of right now they are telling me I should be able to order before the middle of march.

So, it's a pretty accurate estimate. I put my name on the list on 2/25. Looks like I will have to wait until the beginning of April before I can place my order. Seems so far away :'(
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,084 Member
    Options

So, it's a pretty accurate estimate. I put my name on the list on 2/25. Looks like I will have to wait until the beginning of April before I can place my order. Seems so far away :'(

What's your rowing history? If not extensive, this would be a good time to start researching instructional and training info, identifying compatible apps you'd find useful, checking out the C2 logbook & community, etc.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    Options
    I have very little history. I borrowed a rowing machine and used it about 6 times before it crapped out. Watched a couple videos on it and was really just trying to take things slow and focus on my form.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I have very little history. I borrowed a rowing machine and used it about 6 times before it crapped out. Watched a couple videos on it and was really just trying to take things slow and focus on my form.

My favorites are Dark Horse Rowing and Cassie Nieman (C2 Master Instructor) on YouTube. Asensei is building in numbers too -- it's an app with some of the best Olympic rowers of all time, including Eric Murray (many time Gold medalist).

IMHO, what you want to stay away from is Peloton or IFit types of instructors, many of which have no business teaching rowing to anyone.

Also, as it gets warmer, there are a lot of OTW (over the water) clubs that both have row houses and basic beginner rowing classes that offer both fun and some great instruction live.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check them out
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    Options
    Update for everyone, looks like there date was pretty much spot on as I ordered today (1 day earlier than expected). Hopefully it ships quickly.
  • azkunk
    Options
    My husband got impatient and we ordered the NoricTrack. It should be here before my anticipated order date for the C2.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Update for everyone, looks like there date was pretty much spot on as I ordered today (1 day earlier than expected). Hopefully it ships quickly.

Just one more suggestion. Join up with the Concept2 Logbook group on Facebook. The great thing about any rowers (indoor or outdoor) is that they are more than willing to share advice or help you with any questions, technical about stroke form, using the C2 and optimizing it for fun or performance and about training.

There are many real world class athletes and world record holders on there, but they will answer or help you with anything you ask. Fantastic group of folks.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    My husband got impatient and we ordered the NoricTrack. It should be here before my anticipated order date for the C2.

Didn't even know that NordicTrack was producing a rower. They look too complex, too tech dependent and too Peletonish to me. The value of the C2 is in it's simplicity.

But, I truly hope the NordicTrack works for you.

• azkunk
    edited March 2021
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Didn't even know that NordicTrack was producing a rower. They look too complex, too tech dependent and too Peletonish to me. The value of the C2 is in it's simplicity.

But, I truly hope the NordicTrack works for you.

When were trying to decide I referred to it as the Peleton and the C2 as “the one that I want”. I will definitely use the connected part of it. I was planning on using Asensei with the C2. I just didn’t see the need for the extra cost. But I am anxious to get started too since we still aren’t comfortable going into a gym and I am at the point where I need to really focus on the fitness to continue to lose more weight and tone up.