Still hungry?....

Options
2»

Replies

• mrBLOB84
    mrBLOB84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dinner is by far the biggest meal for me. I add all my food into my diary and go off that. Hitting the gym about 2 days a week. That’s all my body can handle right now being so out of shape. Get sore for a couple days then go back. Have lost 9.2 pounds in about 3 weeks
  • mrBLOB84
    Options
    Correction 9.2 pounds in 5 days. Hope that is healthy
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    mrBLOB84 wrote: »
    Around 2,250 calories for the day

A protein shake for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and some chicken for dinner doesn't sound like 2,250 calories. I eat around 2300-2500 calories per day to lose about 1 Lb per week, and it's quite a bit more food than that...unless of course these are very big portions or something.

This actually seems low on everything...

@cwolfman13 at first I agreed with your post, but now EDIT I see his diary is open so I posted it and he is eating 2400 calories and it looks legit.

• FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Actually, I retract my last comment.

@mrBLOB84 I looked at your diary and your calories do add up to 2401 for yesterday, so sorry.

After looking at your diary below, here's some suggestions that MAY help.

Fat and protein is more satiating than carbs. So, I would recommend replacing those 300 calories in bread on your sandwich with more Turkey and maybe even more mayo or cheese.

Instead of a protein shake, why not eat a huge 3 or 4 egg omelette with cheese and any veggie you like.

You can also bump up your calorie intake until you get to the point where you aren't losing weight as fast as you are now, if you carry a lot of muscle or you are working out hard it's possible you need a higher calorie intake. The general recommendation for rate of weight loss is .5% to 1% of your body weight per week, so that's about 3 lbs per week on the higher end for your weight.

ehwtkl2yz7bh.png
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Around 2,250 calories for the day

A protein shake for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and some chicken for dinner doesn't sound like 2,250 calories. I eat around 2300-2500 calories per day to lose about 1 Lb per week, and it's quite a bit more food than that...unless of course these are very big portions or something.

This actually seems low on everything...

Agreed, something's off here. Two scoops of whey protein is around 240 cal, a 1/2 lb chicken breast is 374, and a sandwich of 500-700? for a grand total of ~1300 cal/day tops. My day happened to be exactly 2250 yesterday and it was way more food than that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I feel like the actual logging is squishy enough here that we can't be sure how many calories OP is eating. There's a mixture of things like "slices" and ounces in logging. Is it off enough to cause issues? Who knows, but I'd want a firmer grasp of what I was actually eating before I began making adjustments for calorie count and for satiety.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Honestly reading this I think the biggest problem for ME would be that even I would be kind of hungry on this. It's (more than) enough calories for me but it's still a protein shake, a sandwich, a pot pie, and a beef stick.

Heck yes, I could put that down and wind up hungry.

The fruit is blended, the vegetables are basically garnishes.

Replace the protein shake with a bowl of protein oatmeal (with water or unsweetened almond milk - or use regular oatmeal and throw your protein powder into them) and stick the banana and strawberries on top of it. Turn the turkey sandwich into a giant salad and sub the mustard and mayo for dressing of your choice. Eat some chicken and vegetables with those slices of bread you didn't eat at lunch - or save them for a snack to eat with your beef stick (eat as toast, add some low sugar jam). Or, you know, turn that snack into those two slices of bread you didn't eat with your sandwich (because it's now a salad) and make a new sandwich for later in the day.

You're just really low on volume and fiber.

Then you'd be at the same calories but eating about 3X the VOLUME of food.

• wunderkindking
    Options
    (And for what it's worth not criticizing. That's exactly the way I used to eat and exactly why I ended up here. I was the QUEEN of calorie dense, low volume food. Took me months to shuffle things around into being satisfied with my food rather than starved and miserable.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Correction 9.2 pounds in 5 days. Hope that is healthy

So after seeing the post and screenshot by @FitAgainBy55 it looks like you are maybe on track? IDK...how long have you been at this? 9.2 Lbs in five days is quite a bit...but at 300 Lbs may be ok and if this is all pretty new (assuming it is), you would also likely be experiencing a significant drop in water weight and inherent waste in your system.

That said, given your stats and rate of loss, it would appear that you could eat more or a bit more if rapid weightloss continues over the coming couple of weeks. Conversely, I'd say most of us when starting out were used to eating whenever and how much ever we wanted. I for one never really let myself be hungry when I was bigger...I just ate whenever I felt like it, and structuring your eating and your calories is likely going to effect physical hunger as well as the psychological component that comes with restriction.

I ultimately learned that it was ok to be a little hungry (not ravenously starving), particularly a bit before it was meal time...and that in fact, that's actually normal. As days and weeks went on, I also learned to identify actual hunger vs. perceived hunger out of boredom or stress or just plain habit.

Ultimately, this is all a learning experience...and kind of an experiment of trial and error to determine what foods keep you satisfied...whether or not meal timing makes any difference...or eating smaller meals throughout the day vs 3 squares, etc.
  • mrBLOB84
    Options
    I am currently around 31-33% body fat. I am aiming for around 20-22%. And accounting for around 10 lbs of added muscle in the future which would put me around 250ish. Last weigh in was 300.2 lbs. going to be a long journey but definitely think I will get there through determination and hard work. Trying to get the wheels rolling!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Honestly reading this I think the biggest problem for ME would be that even I would be kind of hungry on this. It's (more than) enough calories for me but it's still a protein shake, a sandwich, a pot pie, and a beef stick.

Heck yes, I could put that down and wind up hungry.

The fruit is blended, the vegetables are basically garnishes.

Replace the protein shake with a bowl of protein oatmeal (with water or unsweetened almond milk - or use regular oatmeal and throw your protein powder into them) and stick the banana and strawberries on top of it. Turn the turkey sandwich into a giant salad and sub the mustard and mayo for dressing of your choice. Eat some chicken and vegetables with those slices of bread you didn't eat at lunch - or save them for a snack to eat with your beef stick (eat as toast, add some low sugar jam). Or, you know, turn that snack into those two slices of bread you didn't eat with your sandwich (because it's now a salad) and make a new sandwich for later in the day.

You're just really low on volume and fiber.

Then you'd be at the same calories but eating about 3X the VOLUME of food.

Yep, this.

For the calories of a Costco pot pie you could eat real food - substantial slices of pork loin or a couple of pieces of chicken or a big slab of salmon even a small lean steak with a ton of roasted vegetables and a salad with dressing and a piece of chocolate for dessert. 300 calories for two slices of bread, do you really like your bread that much? Or would 120 calories for 2 slices of a different bread do just as well? Are you loving the milk enough to drink two cups of it for breakfast, or would solid food suit you better?

If you truly love and crave something, eat it. But I get the feeling this is what the OP thinks diet food is “supposed” to look like, when in fact it’s not calorie efficient at all. Eating like this would lead me to feeling deprived.
  • mrBLOB84
    Options
    Have been monitoring my calories for about three weeks now, I’m going to the gym for about two weeks.
  • wunderkindking
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Have been monitoring my calories for about three weeks now, I’m going to the gym for about two weeks.

He could literally eat 6 slices of low calorie bread for 2 of his slices. Why are you eating such low volume high calorie foods? 750 calories could literally be like 5 bowls of high volume low calorie foods!

Also he didn't mention a pbj for breakfast before.

I used to eat that way too. Once you find the way of low calorie high volume it changes your world forever!

My regular bread is 130 calories for 2 slices. When I bother to remember to buy the low cal stuff it's 70 calories per 2 (Healthy Life).

It's definitely a process - finding new foods you like. Realizing your old choices are stupid high calorie and they're just not that important to you and what you already like that is surprisingly low calorie. I had an advantage in already liking a lot of low calorie food but doing stuff like eating 300 calories of bread, slapping regular mayo and cheese I was apathetic about onto a sandwich because that's just how you did it was also very much a thing.

I can now make a substantial sandwich I like as much by using no-fat mayo or mustard, toasted 'diet' bread, a good 4-5 ounces of deli meat, lettuce and tomato for 300ish calories.

...which is about on par with that meat stick (both protein and cals) but is a fairly good sized sandwich.

And honestly looking back at what was eaten over his day, seriously. One meal and a snack for me. Pot pie and a diet coke = meal. Portein shake and a sandwich = snack, maybe meal.

(Oh, OP, another suggested sub: PBfit or other powdered PB will save you a TON of calories on that breakfast shake)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Without further information, 2 pounds a week is fine for someone at 300 pounds.

You're absolutely right.... without further information.

Such as that they're struggling because they're here posting that they're hungry.

So is 2lbs a week good for them if it leads them to quiting?

What if aiming for 2lbs a week is leading them to 3 or 4lbs a week (which is entirely possible for a 300lb person who proves more active than they think they are while truly eating 2250), and the 3 or 4 lbs a week, in turn, is making things hard enough that they are ready to give up?

Weight management ends when you give up on managing your weight. If you remain willing to intervene.... you're still in the game.

I found MFP when I was ready to give up on weight loss at about 240lbs.

Because I was making things too hard. Thinking I had to eat as little as possible and "exercise" as hard as possible to lose weight.

Also, not understanding that weight management was about the balance of calories kept leading me to what I believed to be "healthy diet choices" that in reality were both sub optimal for me at the time, and much less healthy in reality than the type and quantities of food I now eat 7 years later.

I never would have gotten to maintaining a >120lb weight loss for several years had I not switched focus to developing sustainability instead of primarily concentrating on fastest possible weight loss.

Let me rephrase my response a bit. From a pure physiological standpoint a 2 pound a week weight loss for a 300 pound individual is very reasonable for the vast majority of people.

Psychological reasons not considered.
  • mrBLOB84
    Options
    Correction on my bread it is keto white bread that is 40 calories per slice so my calories have been off since logging the bread as “normal” white bread. This has cost me quite a few calories that I was not actually consuming. Live and learn! Again thanks for everyone’s input on my situation there was definitely some helpful stuff!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Bread has a weight in grams. Slices are an estimate, not a measurement

If you're doing keto, your (extra) losses during your first few weeks (and your corresponding regains when you go off plan and deliberately or inadvertently increase your carbs) are not indicative of fat level changes.

These fast changes are primarily driven by glycogen changes and should be handled with patience. Your base weight level changes will emerge with multiple measurements over periods of weeks

The goal, for me anyway, was to maximize my food intake "utility" while continuing to hit my caloric balance goals. "Utility" being an amalgam of satiation, as well as pleasure from taste and pleasure from knowing I've hit certain targets (e.g. protein, or fiber, or grams of veggies, or what have you)

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    For me the key is high-quality protein for breakfast. And, again for me, that does not include milk or other dairy even though there is protein in those things. But something like two eggs, sometimes with a piece of breakfast sausage but not always (and usually always with some fruit) will hold me until lunch time. And then at lunch I'm just ordinary hungry, not "I-could-eat-the-whole-horse hungry". But for some reason oatmeal with milk does not do that, even though there's protein in milk, and I'm hungry mid-morning. Same with a breakfast shake (although I don't use anything like protein powder...my shakes are usually just yogurt, milk, some type of frozen fruit, and maybe a bit of peanut butter, and I have this for lunch not breakfast).

That's what works for me.