Ladies a Cycle Timing and Weight loss Question

Options
I have been religiously tracking my weight and daily calories now. I’m on week 12. (Applause) I noticed that like clockwork my body stalls out any and I do mean any number. Not a fraction of an ounce in my favor (sheesh). Two weeks before my time of month. Unfortunately it’s starting about 16 days into my cycle. Which gives me just two weeks each month to see the scale drop. I try not to weigh myself during this time as it may be water and most likely is, I however know that I seem to not lose weight in this time and my calorie count was on target.

How about any of you? Long winded, I apologize.

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yep, sounds pretty normal to me.

A trendweigh app might help?
  • 190reasonswhy
    190reasonswhy Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I signed up then saw I needed to buy the 99 dollar scale. I do think it would help. Not sure I can justify the purchase however. I’m more looking into what to do during the second half of my cycle to get my body losing some weight. I know cutting calories can be a double edged sword. Most likely activity is key o:)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my weight on a weight trending app for a few years now and I notice that I tend to retain some extra water weight two weeks a month -- the week I'm ovulating and the week before my period (at least when I'm projecting these things are happening). What you're describing would be very normal for ME. I found using a weight trending app really helped me put these in context and made me feel better about the whole thing.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, you may want to look into the Happy Scale app as a trending app - the basic is free (not sure what the premium does for you) and no special scale is required.
  • 190reasonswhy
    Options
    I've been logging my weight on a weight trending app for a few years now and I notice that I tend to retain some extra water weight two weeks a month -- the week I'm ovulating and the week before my period (at least when I'm projecting these things are happening). What you're describing would be very normal for ME. I found using a weight trending app really helped me put these in context and made me feel better about the whole thing.

I had known that the beast was coming when my hunger spikes and the water bloat starts. I had however never pin pointed it to an exact day in the cycle. Which honestly is peace of mind knowing you are not gaining real weight. MFP has however made me very mindful of my eating when the hunger picks up it’s pace. I had researched online and they say this is due to hormonal shifts. Ah the progress I might make without these two weeks.. haha...

Thanks for the reply
  • 190reasonswhy
    Options
    Hmmm, you may want to look into the Happy Scale app as a trending app - the basic is free (not sure what the premium does for you) and no special scale is required.

Thank you I’ll check it out.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I signed up then saw I needed to buy the 99 dollar scale. I do think it would help. Not sure I can justify the purchase however. I’m more looking into what to do during the second half of my cycle to get my body losing some weight. I know cutting calories can be a double edged sword. Most likely activity is key o:)

The apps are free, Libra or happyscale?

You don't need to do anything, if you're in a calorie deficit consistently you'll lose weight, it's just masked sometimes by hormonal water weight.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    You could try a free fertility awareness app like OvuView to help pinpoint the exact times in your cycle these are happening so you know to account for them. I find knowing that my mood is likely influenced by where I am in my cycle helps me to stay on plan, too (right now I'm in lactational amenhorrea so that doesn't apply, but it always throws me for a loop when my cycle returns - why am I so crazy? what's going on? oh right, yeah. :D)

I use a symptothermal method when I'm cycling, so my only additional equipment is a basal body thermometer which are cheap and available at a typical pharmacy (not a regular thermometer, which may not go low enough to get an accurate temp.)

ETA: I'm not sure from your OP which is why I'm making this suggestion - if you're just counting days and not phases, your cycle can vary and whatever symptoms you're experiencing are likely tied to the phase you're in, not the specific day even if you're fairly regular. That's why I recommended a specific fertility awareness tracker. You can do old fashioned charting on paper too to determine ovulation, which is how I initially learned. But you can find out all sorts of neat stuff about your health from tracking your fertility. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I put my scale under the bed for the month of March and keep my focus on what I am eating and how much I am moving.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,191 Member
    Options
    Yup happens every month to me. I just don't bother weighing cause I know it'll all melt away. Frustrating but what can you do