Fish oil

Options
Has anyone had any success with taking fish oil supplements to help lose weight?? Pros or cons??

Replies

• JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it could do that? So I'm curious to know as well.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I take a fish oil supplement, but it's not to lose weight. It's for health. I've never heard it suggested that taking fish oil will help you lose weight.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't take it to lose weight, I just take it for overall health.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Good for your heart but I don't know any facts about weight loss!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is good for overall health, but has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I take it for overall health.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    dont know if it helps with weight loss and i know this is different but i give it to my dog for skin problems and i have been trying to get her to lose weight as well and that has not seemed to help at all
  • solflyer81
    Options
    I ve not heard of it helping to lose weight but I know it is a natural way to help with cholesteral. I take prescription strength (lovaza) for high cholesterol. It was not until i cut out the bad cholesterol foods and started working out hardcore (6days a week) that my cholesterol has changed though. However, I have found out that I may have PCOS which can also cause high cholesterol and may be why it has taken so long for me to fix it. Sidenote* been taking prescription strength fish oil for over a year now and it has not helped me lose weight at all.
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't currently take fish oil, although I have been considering adding it to my repertoire. Here is one link I found good information on, and it mentions that fish oil DOES benefit weight loss!

http://www.fishoilblog.com/omega-3/fish-oil-for-weight-loss
  • sting9902
    sting9902 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i take it for over all health
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil for heart health. I have for several years. During this time I continued with poor eating habits. The fish oil did nothing to help me lose weight. Monitoring my intake and thinking more about what I eat is what helped me lose. Sorry but there is no easy weigh to make this happen. Trust me I've looked.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Try CLA in additional to fish oil.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Yea fish oil is more for general health purposes like heart and memory
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking fish oil supplements after reading an article that stated that taking a fish oil capsule 45 mins prior to your workouts you would burn alot more calories. Not seen any huge difference yet but like i said i just started taking them. It also says it supports like other mentioned your heart, mind, and your mood.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    fish oil is an awesome supplement for overall health (& beauty!) ...MAY help with burning fat, but it is not marketed for that (weight loss)
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of fish so I take one 1000mg Fish Oil capsule every day for health benefits. I make sure I only buy the capsules that contain the Omega 3 essential fatty acids EPA & DHA.
  • cherylnadine
    Options
    I just researched this last night. Apparently there are studies that found if you take fish oil (omega 3) while dieting and exercising you do lose more weight than people who are not taking supplements. So I am going to try it and see.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Take fish oil regularly. Fish oil has so many benefits you'd be crazy NOT to be taking it. Not only does it increase testosterone, but it cuts your chances of a heart attack in half, improves the condition of your skin and hair, promotes fat loss, improves recovery time after exercise, and aids your joints. And since it does increase testosterone, it also has an effect on sex drive and mood. Moreover, it's cheap! Do a google search for fish oil to find out more.

Send me a message if you would like to know more or perhaps links to scientific research.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Also note when supplementing with fish oils, for each 1 gram capsule it equates to 9 calories. So for me who takes 6 capsules a day, I have to subtract the 54 calories from total daily calories.