how much has walking helped you lose weight

Options
13»

Replies

• tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Walking has helped me a ton! Every time I get to my calorie goal, I walk away from the table. That is the key to weight loss.
  • tariqari
    tariqari Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I walked when I exhausted myself during an intense workout.

I’ve added walks after my workouts regularly now and it helps significantly.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Not me, but my dad dropped 100lbs or so ten years ago, and the biggest change he made was taking daily walks. He probably also ate better (type 2 diabetes diagnosis, he started paying attention to carbs), but he's also the kind of person that can eat intuitively (the f---er, why couldn't I have inherited that from him), so I don't think he's ever actually counted any calories, just avoided sugar as best he could.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I had to up walking when COVID hit. In 6 months I lost 40lbs, but of course I had to be more decisive with how much I ate as well. But as of now till I'm back to work (which will be by the end of next week YAY) I'm walking over 20,000 steps a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • laurad1978
    laurad1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We're still in strict lockdown where I live so walking has been my sanity the past few months. I keep an eye on my heart rate making sure it's at about 70% for most of the walk. Clocked 77km in the last week. I'm finding it brilliant for maintaining a loss every week while other forms of exercise are shut.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I lost 77 lbs in 11 months - 50 in the first 3 due to walking and better diet. I started with 4,000 steps and added 1,000 every week until I hit 10,000. 10,000 is my base goal for the day. I do anywhere from 10,000 to 22,000 a day. About 10 minutes per 1,000 steps and that's about an hour and 40 minutes of walking or more a day. I do an hour in the morning, 45ish minutes at lunch and then I'll do more after work, if necessary or I want to. I burn anywhere between 500 and 1,200 calories just walking in a day. Walking is so underrated, in my opinion. Its not hard on the joints, it's enjoyable, especially around nice scenery, and it's great for your physical and mental health. My mental health has gotten so much better. One thing is I never ever break my rules: I go out rain or shine. The only time I don't is lightening, blizzard, or below 20°F. If those happen, I walk in place at home. And it comes first. I'm no longer working OT, if I don't put my steps in. The dishes can wait. Who cares about work or dishes, if I'm dead? Following those rules is the only thing that's helped me keep it off.

@Leesa_Michelle: this is really inspiring! And a great testament to how discipline and habits are far more important than motivation :)