The main reasons I believe people don't reach goals

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
First and foremost is FEAR. People fear of failure when they attempt something. No one ever wants to fail, but it's part of the learning process. Since weight loss (with the exception of calorie deficit) isn't set in stone for how to do it, people may try a program and fail altogether at it, but quit and don't look at other possible avenues. There are many ways for people to lose weight. Some doing strictly dieting, some with exercise, some with changing the foods they eat overall, some with quitting drinking, etc. The great thing is once you get some success, you get less FEAR about continuing or doing it again.

The other is self DENIAL. Can't tell you how many times people tell me they are doing all the right things, but then when it's actually broken down, it's not the actual truth. "I do stick to my calorie deficit 100%.................................well except for that one birthday party." Or "I work out really hard" but they don't even have a heart rate much higher than their resting heart rate. Being HONEST with yourself will help with identifying why you may not be reaching the goals you set.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• ninerbuff
    edited March 2021
    Options

tariqari wrote: »
    Denial has to be the main one.

Recently a group of children ran up to me while I was speed jumping rope. “How do you do that?!?” they asked. I thought for a moment and responded “practice.” It was a spur of the moment response without thought. The true answer is discipline.

The only one one is denying is themselves. Practice without discipline is a road to nowhere. Staying true to yourself and realizing you are in this alone and for you is a true path to victory.
    Repetition and consistency make it so much easier to do just about anything. Any professional in anything dedicate hours upon hours honing their craft by endless hours of repetition and consistency. And really it's no different in weight loss/gain/maintenance. Many think there's some other secret or that they weren't blessed with the genes to do it. So somewhat of a denial.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For me for years it was pure frustration after frustration, not really fear. It's just anything that I tried wasn't working. But I kept pushing, and than the d.a.m.n lockdown came last march, I thought now or never. I found a highly controversial strategy -lets not get into it, LOL- and finally the pounds started to drop. I admit I was kind of a fanatic, I wanted to lose weight so bad, a little bit of that probably won't hurt.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Lake of patience has to be one of the most common reasons for failure. The nature of our modern fast paced culture is to expect immediate results. When people try something for a week and they don't see results they get frustrated. Even if they do have early success but later see results "stall" they lose confidence, get frustrated and quit.

Losing weight or transforming your body via strength training or training to run a long distance are all things that require perseverance over a long period of time. These things take weeks and months but our culture expects results in days.

Maybe if people had the confidence in the process they might have more patience but most people aren't educated enough to have a basis for confidence. Even if they try to educate themselves they don't have the critical thinking skills to separate science from bro-science.

I personally have 0 doubt that I will reach my goals. I have confidence that if I ever reach a point where my progress isn't in line with my expectations that I have enough knowledge to self correct my course.

What would happen to many people if all of the sudden they weighed in for 7 days with no weight loss and then suddenly on the 8th day saw a 2 lb gain as shown below ? Many people would get discouraged. They would say to themself "why should I bother working so hard only to actually GAIN weight?"

rb0lnfm4p1fz.png

This happened to me over the last week or so. What did I do ? Nothing. I wasn't worried at all. I understand the process and I understand results happen over weeks not days.

What happened next ? See below. Some people would have gotten frustrated, maybe even gone out and binged, gained even more water weight and never even weighed again to see what was about to happen.

dxpgefkaly6m.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Two reasons I see, and that seem polar opposites:
    - lack of consistency: trying something for a few weeks and expecting major unequivocal results (this is also linked to a lack of knowlegde of, for example, water weight fluctuations)
    -> you need to stick to a strategy for long enough before truly knowing whether it's working or not
    - too much consistency: keep on trying the same method, even when it's clear it isn't working
    -> we're all different, so don't be afraid to experiment: try a different calorie goal, change your macros or whatever other strategy you think of that might yield better results

Other reasons:
    - the notion that suffering is necessary to lose weight. I've lost 56lbs so far and it's been pretty painless. It's NOT necessary to do tons of exercise you don't like, eat foods you don't enjoy, eliminate foods you do enjoy, starve yourself by chasing an exterme deficit, etc.
    -> aim for a sustainable strategy that is as pleasant as possible, don't make things harder than they need to be
    - goals with deadlines: instead of just seeing yourself progress and get closer to your goal, it's turned into a binary achieve/fail situation. Any progress is good progress, even if it isn't as fast as you'd like!
    Great perspective to see. Especially when people keep trying a routine that doesn't yield results and they continue forever expecting it to happen. It's why assessment is important from time to time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    dolorsit wrote: »
    For me, it's neither fear nor denial, but motivation. Sometimes every so often, I'm super motivated like I am now. Nothing is going to stop me reaching my goal. I've no idea what sets off these motivational streaks in me, but I've had several memorable periods in my life that I've just been struck with a goal and nothing could stop me.

Most of the rest of the time, I'm just happy go lucky and live with myself being unfit or overweight. Can't explain it.

This is interesting. What I have learned about myself is that while I too experience bouts of motivation where I want to eat and exercise "perfectly," I cannot rely on motivation to be the catalyst for these long-term life changes I am making, because as you noted, there are lots of times I just don't feel motivated. I have needed to put the work in to form habits that kick in even when I'm not motivated. Then, on days when I am feeling low energy, or just down, or whatever, my habits are there even when the motivation is not (make my usual breakfast, take my walk at the usual time, etc.). Waiting to be motivated in the past has definitely kept me from achieving my goal!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    One epiphany I had lately: I am actually incredibly disciplined in other areas of my life. I just haven't been as successful - yet - with healthy eating. The variables are different, but I think I was operating under a kind of learned helplessness - I thought about my other family members and the way I grew up and whenever I would hit something really difficult emotionally, I would just think, "well, this is it, I can never do better," and I'd give up. I don't have that same kind of baggage in other areas of my life so it was easier to keep working at it, but now that I've seen that I have in fact been successful long term with other things I feel like absolutely I can apply it here. I am capable of learning more and improving, and setbacks don't have to be permanent.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    My reasons for not being successful in the past tie into that fear of failure a bit.

I think I just didn't really believe I could reach my goal, or stick with it long enough to reach it. Then, I didn't even know if I could actually maintain it. This is because I had lost weight a number of times, but gained it back. I had to change my mindset to believing I was a person who could not only stick with it, but deal with feeling uncomfortable at times and eventually getting to and staying at that weight.

I think the 2nd factor for me was that I am not good at dealing with uncomfortable feelings. That means dealing with hunger occasionally--thinking if I let myself get "too hungry" I would end up bingeing after a history of restrict/binge cycles. It also means dealing with those uncomfortable feelings like boredom, stress, anxiety, fatigue without turning to food to distract me from those feelings. I don't use food so much to deal with those uncomfortable feelings, but am still working on just sitting with those feelings and dealing with them more constructively.

This post is an excellent example of fear.

((eHug))
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Re Denial - I have seen this on every single episode of "My 600 Pound Life" I have watched.

For the most part, the patients were able to break through and be successful. Some were not. One I remember also had substance abuse issues.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Re Denial - I have seen this on every single episode of "My 600 Pound Life" I have watched.

For the most part, the patients were able to break through and be successful. Some were not. One I remember also had substance abuse issues.
    I'm watching 1000lbs sisters and Tammy is in so much denial. Always says she's doing right, but in an episode where the doc asked her to lose 50lbs, she gained 50lbs in 30 days.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• anna_lowe
    anna_lowe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i wish my 600 lb life had hidden cameras
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's fear at all...certainly not for me and I doubt it is for very many others either. Some are in denial. Most aren't. Dolorsit's explanation sounds the most like me, most of the time. I may call it lack of motivation or even lack of interest or having different priorities other than losing weight. I hesitate to call it lack of self discipline when I see how disciplined I am in so many other areas. And for me, ill health plays into it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    anna_lowe wrote: »
    i wish my 600 lb life had hidden cameras
    Oh you KNOW that they are sneaking food in.
    On 1000lbs sisters, to help curtail Tammy's fast food eating and ordering food to come to the house, they got a meal plan company to drop off "healthy" food for her. She ate 32 meals in one week.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png