Increasing my calories for better fat loss

I started dieting in November on 1700 calories and after 10 weeks had come down to 1400. I lost 10 lbs along the way. After learning about BMR and metabolic adaptation I increased my calories to 1800 as I figured 1400 was too low and I still have a bit of weight to lose.

I weigh myself daily and work out the average for the week. I have eaten around 1800 calories daily for 2 weeks now and my average weight has stayed the same at 72.7kg/160lbs. My fat % has gone from 43.7 to 42.9. That is a loss of 0.7kg/1.5lbs. I am 5 ft 1.

This week I have increased my calories to 1900 and will eat like this for the next 2 weeks. Then I will increase my calories by around 100 cal every 2 weeks until around 2500. Anyway that's the plan.

Anyone else ever done this before? Thoughts?

Spirit

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    @frees1spirit: I think there may be some confusion about the role of BMR and metabolic adaptation in weight loss. Can you link to articles you read?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    I started dieting in November on 1700 calories and after 10 weeks had come down to 1400. I lost 10 lbs along the way. After learning about BMR and metabolic adaptation I increased my calories to 1800 as I figured 1400 was too low and I still have a bit of weight to lose.

I weigh myself daily and work out the average for the week. I have eaten around 1800 calories daily for 2 weeks now and my average weight has stayed the same at 72.7kg/160lbs. My fat % has gone from 43.7 to 42.9. That is a loss of 0.7kg/1.5lbs. I am 5 ft 1.

This week I have increased my calories to 1900 and will eat like this for the next 2 weeks. Then I will increase my calories by around 100 cal every 2 weeks until around 2500. Anyway that's the plan.

Anyone else ever done this before? Thoughts?

Spirit

Are you tired? Do you always have cold hands and feet? Have you been dieting for a while? I was in the same situation but I’m 5’ 4” and I used to eat 1200-1500 calories a day, hovered and bounced around 2000 calories (for a few months) then slowly reverse dieted all the way up to 2600 on some days. In the end I averaged out to be 2300 which is my maintenance but if I’m more active then, yes, I do have an average maintenance of 2500 calories. I do want to add I have 20 lbs more muscle than the average woman so it’s much easier to eat more and stay leaner. I can burn 160-230 extra calories and that adds up. One pound of muscle can burn 8-13 extra calories at rest! They burn even more calories when they are being repaired. I do still feel that 2500 may be an over reach for you because of your height but hey, it’s totally possible that you might suddenly become WAY more active with more food. There are hyper responders. This has been studied in regard to ED patients where, when they were fed more and their metabolisms sped up. Aside from this, I honestly can’t think of another way for your to eat that much but maybe 2200-2300 calories would be better for you and that is still a lot.
  • CholeRoad
    CholeRoad Posts: 47 Member
    I am 51.

I do 2 hours of exercise 6 days a week. I use resistance bands, do some skipping, dancing, ashtanga yoga and walking. My TDEE has been given as 2,300 on MYP and up to 2600 using other calculators as I put my activity level as very active. I don't add back my exercise calories. My BMR has been given as around 1400 on most calculators. I am aware that all these numbers, including my fat % are estimates.

I have been tracking my calories since November. I was not expecting to lose weight whilst increasing calories but hoping to maintain. I know the body experiences metabolic adaptation when you decrease calories and am wondering if I can use this adaptation to increase my calories/TDEE. Once at my maintenance calories, I can then start cutting calories again. I worried that I might have to go down to 1200 to lose weight or do even more exercise. My TDEE might not be 2500, it might be lower but I will find out.

When I was on 1400 calories I wasn't hungry as I ate filling low calorie foods but my energy levels had gone down and I am one of those people who always has cold hands and feet, even in summer.

I guess this is an attempt at a reverse diet in the middle of a diet.

• CholeRoad
    I read many articles and watched a few videos before deciding to do this. Some of the people I have listened to are Dr. Eric Trexler, Dr. Layne Norton, and Lyle McDonald. :
  • CholeRoad
    @cmriverside
    Thank you so much.

I will have a look.
  • CholeRoad
    @sijomial
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    @sijomial
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

You're welcome.
    It interesting how Layne Norton is cutting down to very low bodyfat levels with an on/off diet.

I've always found long term restriction to be boring and dispiriting (why I failed several times before I succeeded) and prefer losing weight sporadically.

Wish you every success, you clearly have put in the effort to research and that will pay off for sure so kudos on that.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Re-feed and diet break thread very relevant in this case.

If some walking is what others would call substantial and if you're wrapping everything into the single very active setting ignoring how mfp is designed to separately add deliberate exercise while only considering your base daily activity in the setting you choose, then sure.... very active would require consistently engaging in 2.5+ hours of moderate intensity activity during the day, or any combination of inactivity, low, moderate, and more intense activity that produces an equivalent caloric burn!
  • CholeRoad
    @cmriverside
    I am now reading through the Refeed thread and the many articles, threads and videos that are linked. I feel happy with what I have decided to do but can see that I need to make a few changes along the way. One podcast that I found informative was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLcjhm4-CSg, which I found via the thread.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    OP can you let us know how you get on if you decide to go ahead.
    Diet breaks and refeeds, periodised fat loss and such like seem to be trendy at the moment and are practiced by reputable folk like Mike isratel. But he’s a pro body builder and advanced. His book does recommend short periods of fat loss followed by a period of maintenance for the general dieter. Not exactly same as what you’re setting out here.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    @frees1spirit

I'm glad you're getting something out of the Refeed thread. :)
  • CholeRoad
    @cupcakesandproteinshakes
    I do believe I am doing something similar, with a bit of a twist. My own little experiment!

I have had a 10 week diet and instead of a short diet break at maintenance, I am increasing my calories gradually until I get to maintenance. I have decided that I will increase my calories by approximately 100 calories each week, instead of every 2 weeks as a result of what I am learning.

I will keep you updated.
  • CholeRoad
    7 December
    Weight – 76.9kg, Fat % - 47.6, Average weekly calories – 1670
    14 December
    Weight - 75.7kg, Fat % - 47.4, Cal – 1690
    21 December
    Weight - 76.2kg, Fat % - 46.9, Cal – 1640
    28 December
    Weight - 75.9kg, Fat % - 45.8, Cal – 1881

4 January