Vegan, plant based family of 10

Options
Our family, including 8 children have been eating vegan and now more plant based since 2011 to stay healthy. Easy to turn one of their favorite recipes into a vegan recipe. Many recipes out there.

Replies

• cyfehr76
    cyfehr76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm a hybrid. I haven't eaten beef in over a year, I replaced real cheese with vegan cheeses.
    I'm still stuck on the fish, poultry, eggs, and occasionally pork.
  • cyfehr76
    Options
    cyfehr76 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm a hybrid. I haven't eaten beef in over a year, I replaced real cheese with vegan cheeses.

Hardly anyone eats the full range of animal-based foods that are available to them. That doesn't make you a "hybrid," it just makes you a non-vegan who doesn't eat beef or dairy cheese.

Agreed :)

Shouldn't have stated it that way...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Hardly anyone eats the full range of animal-based foods that are available to them. That doesn't make you a "hybrid," it just makes you a non-vegan who doesn't eat beef or dairy cheese.

Shouldn't have stated it that way...[/quote]

Before I went completely herbivorous, I self-identified "plant-based slacker" or a "vegan in training" :-)
  • cyfehr76
    Options

Shouldn't have stated it that way...

Before I went completely herbivorous, I self-identified "plant-based slacker" or a "vegan in training" :-)[/quote]

Nice!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Our family of seven omits meat and other animal products from our diets on a regular basis as part of religious observance. It's taught me a lot about cooking and has encouraged me to try a variety of ethnic foods that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Even when we're not strictly abstaining, I find that I enjoy those kinds of foods more often, too.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    are all of you happy to eat this way? 10 people must have all kinds of opinions and likes and dislikes.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    @Alsheathy That's a large family, but I'm sure preparing a meal that everyone can/will eat is probably easier than me preparing two separate meals because one out of two of us is a chicken/turkey/fish lover. He will, however, eat some of the plant-based meals I prepare, which is always convenient.

I'm curious about something. Does your family eat a ton of fresh produce? I only ask because my refrigerator is always stuffed because of all the fresh produce, and it's only two of us. Maybe I just need a bigger fridge? 🤔 Also, if you prepare the meals for the family, do you meal prep? I want to start doing that if I can.
  • penguinmama87
    Options
    @Alsheathy That's a large family, but I'm sure preparing a meal that everyone can/will eat is probably easier than me preparing two separate meals because one out of two of us is a chicken/turkey/fish lover. He will, however, eat some of the plant-based meals I prepare, which is always convenient.

I'm curious about something. Does your family eat a ton of fresh produce? I only ask because my refrigerator is always stuffed because of all the fresh produce, and it's only two of us. Maybe I just need a bigger fridge? 🤔 Also, if you prepare the meals for the family, do you meal prep? I want to start doing that if I can.

I'm not the OP, but I have a large family and know a lot of other large families...I think all of us have more than one fridge. :) We go through a LOT of produce.

I meal prep occasionally, but I did a lot more when my family was smaller. I have larger size mixing bowls etc now, but the quantities are now pretty daunting for that to be effective. I do double and freeze things on the weekends. Or I might meal prep my own breakfasts and lunches. Or I prep a couple components of a meal ahead but not everything.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    @alisdairsmommy I appreciate you sharing. I guess two refrigerators at minimum is required for larger families. Heck, I feel like I need a 2nd fridge, but I don't have space for that. 😑

Meal prepping is a daunting task for me, but the YouTubers make it seem so easy. 🤔 😁 I may do like you and just try doing it for a few meals... primarily lunch because that's the meal I skip most frequently. Not because I want to, but work meetings often get in the way.
  • shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So what are some of your favorite plant based recipes that do not include and animal based food replacements (i.e. no fake meat, dairy, etc.).
  • Squatcleananddeadlift
    Options

Why do you get to dictate how she or he describes her diet?
    Hybrid vegan diet suggests she is actively trying to change her diet from a meat eater to more of a vegan one. Any change to a more ethical environmental friendly way of living surely deserves a well done than a put down?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    shetland wrote: »
    So what are some of your favorite plant based recipes that do not include and animal based food replacements (i.e. no fake meat, dairy, etc.).

Veggie chili is great !

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/veggie-chilli/

My mom roughly follows a recipe like this and just adds anything extra she wants (like corn, rice, etc) if she has it on hand.

Sometimes she would make chili one day and then the next day chili over pasta or chili over baked potatoes with a side of some type of veggie/salad.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    Creamy Lemon Pepper Chickpeas in the It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken blog. They are so very good served over rice or pasta.
  • penguinmama87
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hybrid vegan diet suggests she is actively trying to change her diet from a meat eater to more of a vegan one. Any change to a more ethical environmental friendly way of living surely deserves a well done than a put down?

I partially agree with you and partially disagree. I think there is something to be said for using terms precisely. Reducing consumption of animal products is not the same as eliminating them. A person can absolutely describe themselves how they choose, but if the description is easily misunderstood, it might not be very useful.

The other thing is that it's debatable whether a vegan diet is automatically more ethical or environmentally friendly than a diet that includes meat. But I'll stop it there because that's a subject for another thread. :)
    shetland wrote: »

I started with some of the recipes from Budget Bytes (which is focused on inexpensive, but tasty and reasonably healthy recipes. Since meat can be very expensive, she has a lot of vegetarian and vegan recipes.)

I made these black bean and avocado enchiladas last week and they were very good!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options

So I guess lab grown meat would be okay?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation. There is no such thing as a "hybrid vegan diet" or a diet that is "more of a vegan one." I'm not putting her down (she's probably a great person), it's just that words have meanings.

If I told people I was Australian because I like Vegemite, people would point out that's not true. It doesn't mean I'm not awesome, it just means I'm not describing myself accurately.

If one is of the position that exploiting animals for pleasure or convenience is wrong, then eating fish, poultry, eggs, and pork isn't going to earn someone a "well done." Why on earth would I be pleased someone is eating those things and describing themselves as a "hybrid" when it comes to opposing exploitation of animals?

I think there’s still not that big a difference between 100% vegan and mostly vegan, which the original commenter decidedly isn’t, since they eat multiple animal products regularly. I have some friends who buy only vegan food but will eat animal products if it’s the only option or if the animal products would otherwise go to waste, or if it’s truly a special occasion like birthday cake or traditional seasonal delicacies. I have no problem classifying them as vegan despite knowing they aren’t fully vegan 365 days per year. On the other end of the spectrum, having multiple fully vegetarian days per week doesn’t make me a vegetarian as I still eat meat regularly, even though it’s less and less.

Edit: added some words I forgot