Share you healthy eats (photos are welcome)

Options
cyfehr76
cyfehr76 Posts: 45 Member
g7mbcanmyteu.jpg
4rmifpdwlwow.jpg
91v57ah2d4o1.jpg
hmov41cd5w7j.jpg

As I love to cook, making it healthier isn't so bad and the flavor is still great without
the bad fats and carbs. Feel free to share your creations!

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    See, now you just make me wanna find pics of foods that are all carbs and fats. 😋
  • cyfehr76
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    See, now you just make me wanna find pics of foods that are all carbs and fats. 😋

The cool thing is you can make stuff that tastes just as good without the fat and carbs (or reduced significantly).
    It's amazing what the internet and YouTube can do to help. My biggest problem before MFP was eating too late at night and portions were too big.
  • cyfehr76
    Options
    wr2aovujw2g0.jpg

This stuff has done wonders replacing that pasta we all love.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    cyfehr76 wrote: »

The cool thing is you can make stuff that tastes just as good without the fat and carbs (or reduced significantly).
    It's amazing what the internet and YouTube can do to help. My biggest problem before MFP was eating too late at night and portions were too big.

LOL I like carbs. Love carbs. Would marry carbs. :)

I did buy a couple cans of the palmini stuff but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. I should tho. The cans expire in June, I think. I want to try the rice they came out with if I can find it.

I used to eat most of my food in the couple hours right before bed and lost a significant amount of weight. I'm glad you found what works for you tho.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" is subjective though. A vegan would think having meat is "healthy". Or a keto person seeing carbs on a plate the same.
    I could post a pic of balut which is high in protein and minerals, but I truly doubt many would bother to eat it.

I consider eating pizza healthy as long as I don't overconsume it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cyfehr76
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    "Healthy" is subjective though. A vegan would think having meat is "healthy". Or a keto person seeing carbs on a plate the same.
    I could post a pic of balut which is high in protein and minerals, but I truly doubt many would bother to eat it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Please share the balut?

BTW, I still eat pizza too, just before 6pm and no more than a slice.
    If I eat two slices...well then it's time for a good walk with the dog :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Tamilok worms, yum. Lol
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You do know you actually need some amount of dietary fat, right? And carbs are energy, you need those too. Is it easy to over-consume those things? Yes, it's easy to over-consume anything, but food isn't inherently good or bad.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    wr2aovujw2g0.jpg

This stuff has done wonders replacing that pasta we all love.

Yesss! I get the linguine version and it's so good. I went through a phase of eating it almost daily and have taken a small break from it, but I love it. And for only 60 calories a can? Good stuff!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Please share the balut?

Lol okay.......................

sptmil8to14m.jpg
    IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • cyfehr76
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Please share the balut?

Lol okay.......................

You got me on that one LOL
  • cyfehr76
    Options
    You do know you actually need some amount of dietary fat, right? And carbs are energy, you need those too. Is it easy to over-consume those things? Yes, it's easy to over-consume anything, but food isn't inherently good or bad.

I tend to save the carbs for Friday and Saturday nights :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Why those days only?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cyfehr76
    Options

Why those days only?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To me it's a treat. The rest of the days with working remote, I have been sticking to my smoothies, fish & poultry, salads, some vegan dishes and quite honestly my body has said it's full. The fattier stuff is my reward and as your mood elevates towards the weekend, I choose Friday and Saturday. The biggest thing I have learned is portion control where before I would go for seconds and too many snacks (higher in carbs) with less exercise. I have a ways to go, but so far it's working.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

What's wrong with carbs and fats? Fats contain essential fatty acids, are needed for brain function and help move things along, and carbs are just heaven. Oh, and fat means flavour.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Why those days only?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To me it's a treat. The rest of the days with working remote, I have been sticking to my smoothies, fish & poultry, salads, some vegan dishes and quite honestly my body has said it's full. The fattier stuff is my reward and as your mood elevates towards the weekend, I choose Friday and Saturday. The biggest thing I have learned is portion control where before I would go for seconds and too many snacks (higher in carbs) with less exercise. I have a ways to go, but so far it's working.

My smoothies have carbs, don't most of them? (I intentionally add fat and protein too, because I eat them for a meal and wouldn't consider a meal without some fat and carbs to be balanced or especially satisfying.) Salad has carbs (and often some source of fat, which is good since many vitamins are fat soluable), and vegan dishes typically have carbs (would be hard not to) and some fat too.

Not eating fat or carbs leaves only protein, and a diet that's mostly just protein doesn't seem especially balanced (see rabbit starvation). I'm not saying you shouldn't eat as you like if it's working for you and you feel good, but the idea that healthy eating means avoiding all fats and carbs seems worth challenging to me.

Re my eats (no photos at the moment), yesterday I had a smoothie for lunch (this isn't usual, it was a crazy day, and a fast lunch option) made with kale, spinach, strawberries, cranberries, zucchini, almond butter, sesame seeds, and some protein powder, plus cottage cheese. For dinner I had leftover bronzino (cooked the day before -- whole roasted) with spaghetti squash topped with broccoli, chard, and tomatoes cooked in olive oil, plus some parmesan. I also added a bit of bacon to the spaghetti squash and veg.
  • cyfehr76
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

What's wrong with carbs and fats? Fats contain essential fatty acids, are needed for brain function and help move things along, and carbs are just heaven. Oh, and fat means flavour.

Nothing wrong with carbs, just in moderation, not excess. I believe my recent weight gain is from more carbs and less exercise (and activity). MFP food diary has tracked my carbs and fat that I have never controlled. Adjustments can always be made.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    OP this is a calorie counting website and the regular posters here get very vocal with regards to calories being the only and most important thing that causes weight loss (which is true) and anyone who mentions things like carbs or keto and the like will get a heap of people coming in telling them that “calories are all that matter” there is not usually a lot of discussion about other aspects of nutrition. Don’t take the replies personally, it happens all the time.

I totally get wanting to monitor carbs! I find higher carbohydrate foods very easy to overeat and like to focus on fats and fibre for satiety. It sounds like you are doing well and are in a good headspace with regards to food and healthy eating!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    anyone who mentions things like carbs or keto and the like will get a heap of people coming in telling them that “calories are all that matter” there is not usually a lot of discussion about other aspects of nutrition. Don’t take the replies personally, it happens all the time.

It's simply not true that people don't discuss nutrition or are only interested in calories. Most of the threads I spend time in are about things other than calories (including nutrition!). Many of us longtime posters are nutrition and cooking geeks and like to talk about that stuff.

My comment to OP, and I assume those of others too, was about the claim that eating carbs AND fats is contrary to good nutrition (especially since in reality OP is eating carbs and likely fat too, and that's good -- healthy fats are certainly needed for good nutrition, and carbs (including veg, of course) tend to be the best source of fiber and many micros).
    I totally get wanting to monitor carbs! I find higher carbohydrate foods very easy to overeat and like to focus on fats and fibre for satiety. It sounds like you are doing well and are in a good headspace with regards to food and healthy eating!

OP's actual diet may be great. OP said he makes stuff without the fat and carbs, which is likely not actually true, as he doesn't seem to be eating only lean meat and seitan, and suggested that avoiding fat and carbs as much as possible is somehow the way to eat healthy. If one cares about nutrition (and not just cals, as eating only protein would likely be an easy way to cut cals, unhealthy as it would be), then one will point out that fats and carbs are not unhealthy foods.

Re high carb foods being easy to overeat, I actually don't find foods that are mostly just carbs are easy to overeat at all, and if I did tend to overeat broccoli or carrots or even blueberries, I probably wouldn't think it was the end of the world. And I am someone who does currently watch carbs some (mainly because I like my diet to be somewhat higher fat -- apparently bad, according to this thread -- and protein when cutting. But I still eat plenty of carbs in part because you aren't getting fiber (at least not from food!) without them. Also because I think veg and fruit and beans/lentils are some of the most nutrient dense and helpful foods I eat.