Exercising With a Balance Disorder

Options
I searched both the community and groups and I didn't see anyone posting about exercising with a balance disorder. I know that many conditions--from MS to BPPV--can cause balance disorders. Even aging can cause people to become less able to maintain a steady balance.

Exercising is challenging. Exercising with a balance disorder even more so. Surely I'm not alone.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems with balance and basic motor control. Two years ago I found a tool called a suspension trainer that allowed me to work around it and even improve somewhat on my balance (though i will never be on the level of a normal person). It allowed me to get in very rigorous, high intensity workouts despite my balance and motor control problems and build up a base of strength that was sufficient to actually be able to do pullups. If you would like more info you can feel free to add me. I know how hard it is trying to work around problems like this when you want to get fit.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have recently started using a door anchor with my resistance cords. I don't use it often but I will as I increase strength. It's a matter of my modifying my daily routine as I progress.

And thanks for responding. I knew I couldn't be the only one trying to exercise with a balance disorder.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My brother has severe balance problems. I think a lot would depend on what your balance issues are. My brother has found cycling on a recumbant a good alternative to running (although I know he misses jogs). He is starting to have trouble getting on and off of an actual bike, so he got one of those things that's just the pedals - I think they're made to he used while seated at a desk? He can sit in a chair that is easier for him to stand up from, versus having to lift one leg over a bike while standing on one foot. People have suggested things like an elliptical, thinking all he needs is to hold on to something to keep his balance, but he said there's no way.

He also likes using things like the total gym or bow flex type contraptions, rather than free weights, which at this stage would be down right dangerous, I think. He isn't really able to stand for any of the exercises unless he is able to hold on to something and keep both feet planted, but both of these have a lot of workout options while laying down or sitting. Resistance bands aren't really a good option for him outside of physical therapy because he would have difficulty getting the bands in the right position to perform the exercise. But that may not be a problem for a lot of other conditions (his problem is neurological, so his balance is bad because he pretty much can't control his limbs properly. If your balance is an issue because of, say, an inner ear problem, you may have a totally different experience).

I think his physical therapist actually has a treadmill that's in a small pool, but I don't think he has used it. But if there's something like that available to you that could be a good workout. Again, depending on your condition.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I take classes so it's important for me to tell my teachers what I can't do. it's a list now!!!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Do you think a rowing machine could be fun? Or a recumbent bike?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread

*eyes @singingflutelady *

How do you sing while playing the flute???? :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread
    Yeah, but could still help someone out who may just lurk and doesn't ask. No one wants to be the odd one out, but sometimes speaking out or seeking help can deter them.

As for balance issues and exercise, you can still do seated ones or even ones where you lean against a wall. And I also do recommend suspension trainers so that it's only just a foot placement that can change the resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have BPPV. This means that certain head positions can sometimes trigger dizziness. Lying flat on my back is the worst. Sudden changes of position can also be an issue (sit ups are a total no no!) So if I know I am having an episode I won't do any exercises that involve lying on my back. If the episode has only recently gone I can sometimes lie flat on my back on the floor because I can angle my head on the way down such that an attack is not triggered, whereas lying straight back down on a bench will for sure set my head spinning. I have had BPPV for some years now and since I know what movements will cause a problem if they are going to I am ultra careful when performing those movements. It is a nuisance but not a problem these days. I also am prepared to work slightly outside my comfort zone to force my brain to work through the balance problems if I'm having a mild episode, but obviously I have to be very careful.