Which impacted your diet more Watching Carbs or Watching Proteins or Calories

Options

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I mean, any choice impacts my diet, do you mean which one impacts actual weight loss the most?

I follow low carb, but don't count carbs on a daily basis. I basically follow a Med Diet style of eating. This keeps me full and makes it more obvious when I am reaching for the foods which I tend to overindulge in (although I could totally overindulge in that whole grain loaf if I weren't saving it for French toast this weekend).
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Calories
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Calories are what count directly, for weight loss.

Macronutrients or even individual food choices can have an effect through energy level or appetite. Any way of eating that reduces energy level can make people move less in daily life, reduce exercise intensity, and therefore reduce calorie burn below baseline. Any way of eating that isn't satiating (or practical, or taste-satisfying) can limit practical ability to stick with a calorie goal. Those indirect mechanisms, IMO, is where dietary styles (keto, Med, IF, paleo, etc.) can indirectly affect weight loss.

Nutrition (macros and micros) directly affects health and well-being. I strive to get well-rounded nutrition because I'd prefer to be thin, energetic, and healthy . . . not just thin.

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for almost 47 years, but the reasons have nothing to do with bodyweight or health. Vegetarianism is a complete tangent to those goals, in any direct sense.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Calories for losing weight

Protein for making it easier to stay close to calorie goal

Exercise for a gentle, pleasant daily reminder of why I want to do this and how important it is to me.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Probably some combination of all of them. You do have to remain in a calorie deficit so that's number one. But from a sustainability standpoint, if I eat more protein, I won't be as ravenous so I'll be more likely to stick to the calorie deficit. If I eat too few or too many starchy carbs, I'll also be ravenous. Too low also will affect my health making me less active so I have to eat even less. My body is also weird and very low carb does not make me lose any water weight; it makes me retain water.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Another vote for calories.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Gonna join the majority of people saying "Calories".

Different things (fiber and protein for me, bainly) may help you to stay in a calorie deficit while not feeling hungry. But those are aides for keeping under more than scything rise.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    This a poll because I have seen answers all over the place with respect to this on my MFP. And was just wondering what the overall consensus is. And what the reasoning is behind your choice. I know there are avid Keto folks, and Avid Paleo folks. And many other diets, so please humor me. I am not going to taint the results with my opinion until the end. thanks for participating.

the 3 of you that disagreed don't know what you are disagreeing to - you should have answered the question instead of just checking a box then I would know what you are trying to say- disagreeing with what I said or that people on the site are all of the place or calories or keto or paleo - or you don't have an answer then you just should have moved on.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Calories. Even when I've done keto and paleo, it turns out I'm losing because I'm still at a calorie deficit, just eating different kinds of foods.

Thanks for sharing - appreciate it.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Calories.
    I ate the same foods when I was fat, when I was losing my excess weight, when I'm maintaining at goal weight - just the calorie balance changed.

(FYI - I have a high carb diet and I'm mindful of my protein levels to support my exercise.)

Thanks for sharing - appreciate it
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Calories

Great - thanks
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Calories

Great - thanks
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    mk820820 wrote: »
    Definitely calories. I am doing a dirty keto menu now in maintenance because I feel so much better restricting my carbs (20-30). I believe I might be allergic to gluten there is such a difference!
    Also I realized that I have never really cared for potatoes, rice, pasta. I think they are pretty tasteless.

thanks for sharing have a great day.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Calories is the answer.

Watching carbs can help you control your calories.
    Watching protein can help keep you satisfied, which helps you control your calories.

thanks have a great day - appreciate your response.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    neither, calories.

Thank you - appreciate your response.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    calories

Thanks for your reply. Have a great day.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Carbs. When I don't eat *carbs I lose weight. I have much more trouble staying under my calories when I eat those things.

*(by carbs I mean bread, potatos, rice - I still eat lower carb veggies and fruit)

Great thanks for participating in the poll.